• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your NZ bowlers/all-rounders for SA

Who makes your squad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BeeGee

International Captain
Bruce Martin in the Test squad to face SA? :laugh:

It's official, someone at NZC is deliberately trying to **** the NZ cricket team.
Just looking at Martin's figures from his latest outing against Otago. Combined match figures of 1 for 109. In the same game NcCullum took 4 for 26.

Funny stuff.

Blain

U19 Captain
Radio Live reporting Neesham, Anderson, de Boorder and Munro are in for the T20s. Astle to be dropped from Test squad, Bruce Martin in.
I dont mind any of those selections, Martin seems a bit silly when they just debuted another spinner in the sub continent, but need to drop him for more non friendly spinner decks.. Should only be back up to Patel anyway.

I'm more interested in the pace bowling squad and extra batsman though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Port Elizabeth definitely wouldn't suit four seamers was the word. Even if CSA did have the ear of every ground, I'd say the request would be 'featherbeds please, we'll extend these out to four days if we can'.

I guess we may see Carl Cachopa batting at PE now in light of the Ross news, if not...
Mathew Sinclair 150 vs South Africa - YouTube
PE & Cape Town are our two slowest and 'lowest' test tracks. Spinners will have a role to play.

Bruce Martin would only be coming as the 2nd spinner behind Jeets surely ?

Binkley

U19 Captain
I dont mind any of those selections, Martin seems a bit silly when they just debuted another spinner in the sub continent, but need to drop him for more non friendly spinner decks.. Should only be back up to Patel anyway.
I've always thought Martin deserves a shot in the team. But it is slightly odd if Astle is being dropped for him. If that is the case then my guess is that they want someone who can block up an end if needed. SA is not SL and if we get featherbeds then Astle's lack of control could see him doing a Tahir.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Radio Live reporting Neesham, Anderson, de Boorder and Munro are in for the T20s. Astle to be dropped from Test squad, Bruce Martin in.
Are we running some sort of ballot system to give these jerseys away? None of those 4 are ready for any form of international cricket. Andersons figures are rubbish, Neesham been on the scene for about 2 minutes, De Boorder is good for a well compiled 15 each game and Munro? He's only just come good.

We can't keep picking guys who have played 20 games of first class cricket and them discard them when they don't set the world on fire after one series.

And Bruce Martin over Astle? WTF. Here we are picking youth for the T20 and then chucking out youth in the test squad and bringing in Bruce Martin whose best years are behind him,

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hey guys, you've worked long and hard for this, sacrificed much, wondered if you'd ever make it. And now you've finally done it!

You win a trip to South Africa in a team in a team riven by internal conflict :D. Without your one international-class batsman! With a megalomaniacal coach and random bouts of interference from several different flavours of Tweedledum and Tweedledee back home! It's not quite how you imagined it but there ya go.

To celebrate here's a nice big **** sandwich

Enjoy

Edit: I make this post because I really do feel for any guy who has to come into this team right now.

Last edited:

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
So taking that into account, test lineup must be:

1.Gupp
2.Captain ****sucker
3.Williamson
4.Flynn
5.Brownlee (?)
6.Watling
7.Bracewell
8.Patel
9.Southee
10.Boult
11.Martin (?) / Wagner(?)

Doubtful any test will last longer that the 3rd day.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Also remember when certain promising players would be trialled in ODIs before being given a shot at Tests? I think that's what they're doing here with the T20s before ODIs.

Cos, you know, theres so much prestige in T20s that picking Neesham, Anderson, Munro and de Boorder for them is a tragedy on epic proportions. It isn't the T20 World cup ffs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I like Neesham, I like Anderson.

I don't like this strange idea of chucking them in t20 to see how they develop.

Patel, N. McCullum, Nethula, Hira, Tastle, Vettori, Martin...

how many bloody spinners do we need to try out?

BeeGee

International Captain
We can't keep picking guys who have played 20 games of first class cricket and them discard them when they don't set the world on fire after one series.

And Bruce Martin over Astle? WTF. Here we are picking youth for the T20 and then chucking out youth in the test squad and bringing in Bruce Martin whose best years are behind him,
AWTA. And it isn't even one series. Astle got one game against SL and is then dropped for the next series. It's just bizarre.

NZTailender

Imagine it'll be something like (if the Taylor boycott is true)

1. Guptill
2. McCullum
3. Williamson
4. Flynn
5. Brownlie
6. Watling+
7. Astle
8. Bracewell
9. Southee
10. Boult
11. B. Martin

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Also remember when certain promising players would be trialled in ODIs before being given a shot at Tests? I think that's what they're doing here with the T20s before ODIs.

Cos, you know, theres so much prestige in T20s that picking Neesham, Anderson, Munro and de Boorder for them is a tragedy on epic proportions. It isn't the T20 World cup ffs.
Heres a crazy idea - how about the get some results in domestic cricket first before playing international cricket..... even if it is just a hit and giggle series.

NZTailender

Fingers crossed Brad Wilson, McCone and Grant Elliot make the test squad...

Actually theyve all probably played too many games. Who debuted last week? Get them in.
The four named have potential and have something to them. The three you named are domestic journeyman, I'm sorry to say. IIRC, Neesham, Anderson, Munro and de Boorder have all played for NZ U-19. Munro is in monster form. These are not strange selections. Who is being hard done by?

NZTailender

Heres a crazy idea - how about the get some results in domestic cricket first before playing international cricket..... even if it is just a hit and giggle series.
...there's been 5 games played and the leading players are Steven Croft, Brad Cachopa, Jesse Ryder, Anton Devcich, Shaun Tait and Neil Wagner...

Heaven forbid we give a few games to kids with promise who have actually done something at domestic level. It's not like George Workers getting a gig.

NZTailender

Bruce Martin for test cricket though?
I've advocated him in the past. He's experienced and now isn't really the ideal time in his career to be picked, but if we're going for those with "results in domestic cricket first before playing international cricket", he's by far the best.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
The four named have potential and have something to them. The three you named are domestic journeyman, I'm sorry to say. IIRC, Neesham, Anderson, Munro and de Boorder have all played for NZ U-19. Munro is in monster form. These are not strange selections. Who is being hard done by?
Dude I wasn't being serious about those 3.... more saying that nothing would surprise me right now.

I understand what you are saying and in the past Ive agreed with selections like this to blood new players, but for these guys to have played as few domestic games as they have and to be picked in an international squad, to me that's wrong. That sort of player rushing is usualy reserved for guys with freakish talent, and none of those 4 qualify in my opinion - none of them bar Munro have actually strung together any performances of note.

I also dont think this is the right time to be bringing these guys into the squad. The whole benefit for these types of selections is usually to get them into the team environment and have them understand what is required of them to become international cricketers. I doubt they'll get that experience from the 'team' thats going to go to South Africa in tatters this week.