• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Based on the statistically insignificant sample size of one inning Quiney is a fool. His technique looked ok - just his judgement. Perha
ps he had too much adrenaline pumping for this inning being his debut.
Reminded me of Hussey's debut - I'm not going to make a full assessment yet, he'll be kicking himself.

Satyanash89

Banned
First impression of kleinveldt... not vry impressive based on that first over... maybe im being a bit harsh, cud just be nerves on debut but that first over was bad.
Lets see how he goes

Chubb

International Regular
My first impression of Kleinveldt is that he is dire. Perhaps that will change, perhaps not... but
SA have plenty of bowlers who look better than him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Does he truly bat like that every time like the commentators said?
Aggressive leg side dominant batsman who likes bat on ball - I'm not sure if it's like all his shield innings, but it looked like how he bats in domestic one day matches.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Aggressive leg side dominant batsman who likes bat on ball - I'm not sure if it's like all his shield innings, but it looked like how he bats in domestic one day matches.
Cricket has changed so much in the last 10 years or so. In the 1980s there is no way a player like that would have gone in earlier than number 5.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mahatma Cote's most egregious crimes are and always have been against funny, tbh.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
About Imran, he reportedly said: "He's an absolute knob is Imran Khan, that's the only way to describe him."

:laugh:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paul Marsh Paul Marsh ‏@Marsh_Paul

For all the criticism going Greg Ritchie's way, understand that he has raised many thousands of dollars for grassroots cricket over many ...

Paul Marsh ‏@Marsh_Paul

years with the same style of speech. It is not meant to offend it is meant to make people laugh & he does that better than most #perspective

Paul Marsh ‏@Marsh_Paul

To be clear I'm not defending racism. I know Greg well, I don't believe he's racist & he's done plenty for grassroots cricket
doing plenty for grassroots cricket doesn't give you a free pass to say whatever the hell you want. first impressions of paul marsh: you moron.

(to a greater extent, you could say he's not doing a lot for grassroots cricket by offending the entire australian muslim community and hiding behind the pathetic "hey you choose to be offended!" defence )

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
doing plenty for grassroots cricket doesn't give you a free pass to say whatever the hell you want you moron

(to a greater extent, you could say he's not doing a lot for grassroots cricket by offending the entire australian muslim community and hiding behind the pathetic "hey you choose to be offended!" defence )
LOL

Have Greg ritchie and Andy Hayden trade after dinner speech tips.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF, leaving aside the obviously dodgy overtones, the joke wasn't awful.

The comment to Wessells is just...wow...tho. As one understands South Africans consider "kaffir" as roughly on a par as we do the n-word. Poor form and a worse defence for poor form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The comment to Wessells is just...wow...tho. As one understands South Africans consider "kaffir" as roughly on a par as we do the n-word. Poor form and a worse defence for poor form.
I don't think the article really reported that incident very well. He said it to him when they were team-mates years playing against the West Indies, and he just re-told the story. Obviously a **** thing to say but it's the sort of over-the-top banter that often happens within cricket teams.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think the article really reported that incident very well. He said it to him when they were team-mates years playing against the West Indies, and he just re-told the story. Obviously a **** thing to say but it's the sort of over-the-top banter that often happens within cricket teams.
Time and a place tho.

What's appropriate (or what's permissable, rather) in a changing room isn't necessarily so for a public audience.

Just to echo what others have said about Kleinveldt: not a test bowler. Jerky action and it's never going to generate much more pace than he gets now. Looks to use the same dietician as Philander too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Time and a place tho.

What's appropriate (or what's permissable, rather) in a changing room isn't necessarily so for a public audience.
Yeah, true. I basically just tried to put myself in the setting of the original incident; I used to play cricket with a couple of South Africans and the team clown used to take the piss out of them with "white South Africans are all secretly racist" type jokes; it was in poor taste really but it was never meant to be anything but friendly team banter and they took it as such.

But yeah you're right; said team clown wouldn't then go ahead and re-tell those jokes to a public audience.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah they didn't - thankfully.

Going on record to say Kleinveldt shouldn't be playing Test Cricket, in fact hopefully this is his last Test match. He could end up a decent ODI player though.