Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West Indies will rise to the top again

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Stay classy

Is the resurgence of West Indies players of sub-continental extraction a factor? For a very long time (between Kanhai and Kallicharan's retirements and Chanders's emergence, so a decade and a half at least) the Windies team seemed pretty much uniformly Afro-caribbean.

Chanders has been a feature for nearly two decades himself now (think he debuted in 94 in the test in which Lara first broke the test record, if my memory serves) but he's been joined by more and more Indo-caribbeans.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    chanders, narine, ramps, ramdin? sarwan. any more doing the rounds?

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    chanders, narine, ramps, ramdin? sarwan. any more doing the rounds?
    Badree and Barath are both Indo-Caribbean

T&T and Guyana are about 40-50% Indo
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Narsingh Deonarine and Assad Fudadin.

It's a strong theory. I have read a couple of good articles on the subject.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Stay classy
    wasn't that classy?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Do Indo-Carribeans originate from India or are they of South American Indian's descent ?

Stupid question probably because probably Asian Indians. When did they start going to the Carribean?

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Do Indo-Carribeans originate from India or are they of South American Indian's descent ?

Stupid question probably because probably Asian Indians. When did they start going to the Carribean?
    Its a mix, but the vast majority are from the subcontinent. They are there for similar reasons black people are there, during the empire building days they were transported over there as 'indentured labour'. There's also a small Irish population on one of the islands who are descended from rebels sent there for the same reason.

They are all West Indian though, the Indo-Caribbeans still have parts of their culture from India intact, quite a few are Hindus
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 13-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Its a mix, but the vast majority are from the subcontinent. They are there for similar reasons black people are there, during the empire building days they were transported over there as 'indentured labour'. There's also a small Irish population on one of the islands who are descended from rebels sent there for the same reason.
    Cheers for that mate.

Whats that leggies name for Guyana? I remember in one of the Champions League's a few years ago Guyana had a Chinese sounding name as well.

Pretty similar here in the Republic then when the British or the Dutch East India Company brought the Indians to work on the sugar canes in Durban and the Malay's were brought to Cape Town as 'indentured labourers'.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Cheers for that mate.

Whats that leggies name for Guyana? I remember in one of the Champions League's a few years ago Guyana had a Chinese sounding name as well.

Pretty similar here in the Republic then when the British or the Dutch East India Company brought the Indians to work on the sugar canes in Durban and the Malay's were brought to Cape Town as 'indentured labourers'.
    Exactly yeah, think of the 'coloureds' in SA and its basically the same system

Dunno exactly which leggie you are thinking of, Chinese name huh?

Did some looking up.

The leggie is Devandra Bishoo.

The Chinese lad is Jonathan Foo.

Banned

What system?

Systems the wrong word, meant situation

Banned
    Systems the wrong word, meant situation
    I am colored myself' and sometimes I have to laugh when people post racial classification. Especially when talking about South Africa as it can be the most confusing thing ever. Indian in Cape Town is from Cape Malay ancestry but a Indian in Durban is from Indian ancestry. Most just gave up and call everyone of mix race coloreds

U19 Debutant
    Westindies can rise to the top in ODIs but to be among top 3 in tests what they have to do is

1) make the pitches faster with bounce.. they have become slower and lower(Lara affect me thinks) to encourage run scoring/stroke making and to bowl fast..
    2) have a structure at the school and grass root level to identify the right players
    3) Administer in the young minds the westindies pride ....i see the main problem is that since these are different nations in itself and when a distraction like IPL happens these players find it fine not to play for westindies..this should not be allowed to happen
    4) find some tall fb's please

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information