Cricket Player Manager
Page 648 of 675 FirstFirst ... 148548598638646647648649650658 ... LastLast
Results 9,706 to 9,720 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Jonathan Bairstow ‏@jbairstow21
    Just had my chest waxed: really don't know what you girls go on about!! It's not that bad!! #gees #manup

>.>

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    good to see bairstow using his time productively.

Assuming they're batting at 6 then I'd rather have Prior than Kes.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Wherever they're batting I'd rather have Prior than Kieswetter - think CK's just not good enough.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

When Prior was dropped for CK he was doing okay, they just wanted to have CK opening because that's where all his one-day credentials are, and Prior opening has never worked. It made sense. Even last year he seemed to have a decent opening partnership with Cook, even though I wasn't happy with his keeping and wanted KP there. Now that we have a surplus of openers in the side he's been moved down for no reason other than they don't know who to play and he was there, not because he's honestly been thought of as the best man for the job.

Kieswetter suffered really from KP and Bell's needs. Like Howe said, he was really only picked to bat in the middle order because he was already in the team, and they obviously didn't, and still don't, fully trust Buttler or Bairstow's keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    India's ranked no 1 in ODIs after winning only 3 of last 6 matches. The whole world must be crapping hard in ODIs.
    Interesting that the rankings are only calculated from the last 6 games though, eh?
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Kieswetter suffered really from KP and Bell's needs. Like Howe said, he was really only picked to bat in the middle order because he was already in the team, and they obviously didn't, and still don't, fully trust Buttler or Bairstow's keeping.

I thought he suffered from being average as opener, hence why KP and Bell were played there, and now he's suffering from being average down the order.
    Last edited by grecian; 22-01-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Meh. Post World Cup he averaged 32 at a Strike Rate of over 100 as opener, which was far better than Ian Bell's record was when he was recalled. He batted with Cook ahead of him and Trott below him, so being able to strike at over a run a ball was invaluable. Against Sri Lanka in the 2011 summer, we won everyone time he scored 40, and lost in the two games he didn't.

If we were really expecting out wicketkeeper to do more than average in the 30's and strike at a run a ball, winning us nearly every game he did well in at the process, then we were expecting too much IMO.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 22-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Meh. Post World Cup he averaged 32 at a Strike Rate of over 100 as opener, which was far better than Ian Bell's record was when he was recalled. He batted with Cook ahead of him and Trott below him, so being able to strike at over a run a ball was invaluable. Against Sri Lanka in the 2011 summer, we won everyone time he scored 40, and lost in the two games he didn't.

If we were really expecting out wicketkeeper to do more than average in the 30's and strike at a run a ball, winning us nearly every game he did well in at the process, then we were expecting too much IMO.

We can expect our openers to do that though, can't we, it's a key position?

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    We can expect our openers to do that though, can't we, it's a key position?
    Yeah maybe. But I'd argue that Kieswetter is more obviously limited to opening than someone like Pietersen or Bell. And with Cook and Trott at 1 and 3, I thought at the time that it would have been better to have someone like Kiesy opening instead of Bell, who had only been striking at 70 in his previous times as opener.

Yeah maybe. But I'd argue that Kieswetter is more obviously limited to opening than someone like Pietersen or Bell. And with Cook and Trott at 1 and 3, I thought at the time that it would have been better to have someone like Kiesy opening instead of Bell, who had only been striking at 70 in his previous times as opener.
    Well, only in that one series against the Lankans really. We have to look to improve. KP should open for me, he scores quick and can get big scores. Bell has done shockingly well there though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Cook's not exactly a slow scorer in ODI cricket though.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Cook's not exactly a slow scorer in ODI cricket though.
    Maybe not, but in matches like this Kieswetter was really invaluable IMO. I know it wasn't a full 50 over game, but when chasing big totals, Kieswetter could always score faster than Cook or Trott.

While Cook's innings there was awesome, it was still below the required rate, and he wouldn't have been able to bat through at that pace had Kieswetter not exploded.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Meh. Post World Cup he averaged 32 at a Strike Rate of over 100 as opener, which was far better than Ian Bell's record was when he was recalled. He batted with Cook ahead of him and Trott below him, so being able to strike at over a run a ball was invaluable. .
    However his inability to rotate the strike is a disaster when batting between those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    However his inability to rotate the strike is a disaster when batting between those 2.
    Yeah! This is always has been his biggest problem. It will work if he is batting with KP and Lumb in T20. But I am not sure how he can get away without rotating strike in ODIs.

Thread Information