• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think Dusty and co, being basically good eggs, saw the enormous potential in his surname for puns for lazy hacks, so he's an investment in the future.

Write themselves, pretty much:

England on Root for victory.

Pulled up by the Root: Joe saves England

Joe Root's the opposition: a ton for Tyke opener
Really it'd be criminal not to have Cook, Root and Onions in the same side

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did this Root chap end up on tour? I just clicked on his cricinfo profile, and his recent form is appalling. Mainly 20/20, granted, but the recent first class performances are as bad if not worse.
Basically he has stepped up nicely into the Lions squad and scored a ton against WI last season. Add in the fact he is basically the best young opener we have and that is the reason he is on tour. Even if he doesn't play now this is a fantastic learning development for his career. A case of when he plays rather than if.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England ATG Culinary XI

1. Alastair Cook
2. Joe Root
3. Allan Lamb
4. Mark Butcher
5. Tony Greggs
6. Beefy Botham
7. Phil Mustard
8. Derek Pringle
9. Graeme Swann
10. Bob Appleyard
11. Graeme Onions

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England ATG Culinary XI

1. Alastair Cook
2. Joe Root
3. Allan Lamb
4. Mark Butcher
5. Tony Greggs
6. Beefy Botham
7. Phil Mustard
8. Derek Pringle
9. Graeme Swann
10. Bob Appleyard
11. Graeme Onions
Full marks for Botham. Had a chuckle at Pringle.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure if you follow the domestic scene, but Tendulkar just hit a better than run a ball hundred. So I think he's in some form. Not much can be said about the openers, as both of them flopped in the Ranji Trophy matches. Kohli had a bad game but going by his form I think that's just a one off. Pujara is coming off a stellar Challenger Trophy, and Yuvraj just followed up his double hundred with a half century and a fifer against the touring Englishmen. I don't think Raina is going to play.
Interesting how you can write off one performance from Kohli as just a one-off yet use another one-off relative to recent form as "being in some form"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A single big score is of far more significance than a single small one.
After such a long run of lower scores? I find it hard to say one good score is automatically "in form" but a couple of failures can be treated differently?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After such a long run of lower scores? I find it hard to say one good score is automatically "in form" but a couple of failures can be treated differently?
Okay let me put it this way. Which do you find more likely:
1. Batsman in good form gets out early.
2. Batsman in retched form scores a fast, fluent hundred.

The nature of batting is such that a single low score tells you a lot less about a player than a single high score. For example, Bradman got a lot more scores close to 1 than Chris Martin did close to 100. Standard deviation grows as mean grows.