• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seems odd to still be calling him a kid when he's older than most of us and is England captain. Wonder what makes him give that impression.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I keep saying this since his debut (and I've always thought he was better than KP even in KP's in form days when people disagree with me) but this kid is going to have some batting records to his name. He's the only person playing right now who I think can seriously beat SRT's record of runs/centuries in Tests.
Not to forget tests played as well.

Agree with all that you say, though as good as Cook is he isn't in the same league as SRT to be honest.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Not to forget tests played as well.

Agree with all that you say, though as good as Cook is he isn't in the same league as SRT to be honest.
Not from a batsmanship perspective perhaps, but the guy keeps making runs when it really matters..and well, he's making those big runs often enough too, so who's to say?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The amazing thing about this innings is the way he has upped the tempo without being reckless ala KP, just played many sublime shots and got on with it.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Seems odd to still be calling him a kid when he's older than most of us and is England captain. Wonder what makes him give that impression.
Still a kid in terms of batsmanship. Batsmen hit their peaks early in their thirties. He is still some ways off. He'll have 30 centuries before he hits that, imho. Not to mention England plays more tests than anyone else. This guy is going places in the record books.

Stapel

International Regular
At the end of the last Test one of the Sky chaps suggested we might now start adding Cook to the discussion for the greatest England batsman of all.

I thought, and still think, that's a shade premature but he is now certainly in the mix as an opener for the all time team to stand alongside Hobbs.
Right from his 100 in Australia 6 years ago, he has shown some possible greatness. As of now, I don't think it is premature to leave that 'possible' now. He is among England's best batsmen of all time! The leading England centurion! And he's 27! In all fairness, not even halfway his career. Not at the top yet!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
will be hard to argue if he breaks his records though.
Not if he only breaks them because England play so much more Test cricket than India did though. If he plays for 20+ years and averages in the low to mid 50s then sure, valid comparison, but scoring more runs and hundreds overall doesn't make him the better bat for the same reason Tendulkar isn't the best bat of all time.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Seriously phenomenal though. First series as full-time Test captain, played in traditionally vulnerable conditions, and he reels off three hundreds in three Tests.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Clarke is too old already; Amla doesn't play enough test cricket. Who else out of the current stock? At the very least it is pretty clear that in about 5 years time Cook will be the guy having the best statistics out of the pack of people still playing, maybe even earlier.

Is there any way to get cricinfo's statsguru to filter out players that have already retired?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trott looks like he's forgotten how to bat
He's always loved a trough, has Trott. He was dropped from Warwickshire's CC side for a few games a couple of seasons before making his Test debut for instance. It's entirely consistent with his CV.

Glorious shot just now, though.