• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English off season 2012/13

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
We could definitely do with an extra quality quick though.
i heard something (possibly related to saj mahmood) that Somerset were more interested in continueing to develop and give opportunities to the young guys (Dibble, OvertonC+J, Meschede. Gregory) because all had loads of potential rather than spending big on a pro. It might be a bit of a downer for some supporters given they'd have a really good chance of winning a championship with one more good fast bowler but long term it probably makes a decent amount of sense.

RHB moves back to Sussex.

theegyptian

Lot of Saffies signed in the last 6 months Myburgh.Jennings,Meschende,Rippon,Cooke,Delange,so expect Saffies to be raided the next 6 months despite the 7 year waiting time.
Hogan and Angus Robson Aussies signed,expect Stoinos and Fawcett to get county contracts.
Lot of players released,few have joined counties,look to 2nd division pros to join 1st division.
Let the games begin.
what do we reckon the end game of the south africans coming over here is? I can see why at a young age with more counties= less competition, better wages etc coming over here is profitable........... but do we think once they get good they'll go back to SA (Du Plessis, Rudolph) and play state cricket and try and get in the test team........... or do we reckon they stay here.

i can envisage a problem where a few SA's come over here. play a load of cricket- get really experienced - take loads runs/wickets and then just go back to SA with the mass of experience. Then they get in the SA test team and make a load of runs especially against England. lol

And it's not like our counties are poaching these overseas players. Generally they come to England knowing that with 18 counties and a long season there is more opportunity to break into first class cricket and the wages offered to them are attractive.

Roderick for instance played for a localish club to me - Cheltenham as an overseas player. Broke a load of league runscoring records, played some 2nd xi for Glos, and then glos offered him a contract as a wicketkeeper batsman.

There is this misconception by people that English counties are just recruiting players from SA, AUS, whereever. When in fact it's the player that are attracted by the lack of competition and the attractive (and regular) wage packet. The players come here off there own back - the counties aren't ringing them up and say come here.

brockley

International Captain
Egyptian its a case that the Saffies and Aussies have been schooled back home in their system and are better players than those in the local leagues eg Matt Linekar.Jack Brooks is an exception.Otherwise its overseas players,plus counties signing junior players from all of the UK.

To say the Counties are not keen,is a bit of an understatment. Some counties bring overseas players in and have a look at them in the 2nds. Plus there are talent scouts out there looking for talent,that said cricket agents spruke players with UK passports.For example Jake Fawcett has been spruked on facebook.So i'd say its predatory both ways.

I don't think the ECB is doing this but the counties certainly are.
Expect a bag;load of Saffies and Aussies to be signed up.
Just thank God that Australia has not signed a trade agreement with the EU,or there would be a flood of Aussie players coming through.

theegyptian

bellend bracewell killing me talking about looking for a replacement captain.

“Australia, for example, have a real void in leaders at the moment so there could be a good opportunity to talk to them about developing one."

Dude your meant to be developing Gloucestershire cricketers to play for England rather than improving Australians or New Zealanders which he seems to spend all his time doing. bellend

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
i heard something (possibly related to saj mahmood) that Somerset were more interested in continueing to develop and give opportunities to the young guys (Dibble, OvertonC+J, Meschede. Gregory) because all had loads of potential rather than spending big on a pro. It might be a bit of a downer for some supporters given they'd have a really good chance of winning a championship with one more good fast bowler but long term it probably makes a decent amount of sense.

RHB moves back to Sussex.
Somerset has probably the youngest and most promising bowling attack on the circuit, but IMO they need one extra senior bowler to hold things together and mentor them - its pointless chucking them out there on their own against hardened county pros, as talented as these guys are.

They've got Alfonso Thomas, but he misses the start of the season with the IPL and seems to pretty much be guaranteed an injury a year. That's where I think Charl Willoughby was perfect - he was an older guy, a workhorse and could mentor the up-and-comers.

Tresco
Suppiah
Compo
Hildreth
CK
Buttler
Trego
Thomas
J Overton
Dockrell
Dibble

(Gregory, Meschede, Barrow, Leach, Hussain, Kirby, Waller, Jones et al)

Who/what type of player would you grab for the overseas slot?

theegyptian

Somerset has probably the youngest and most promising bowling attack on the circuit, but IMO they need one extra senior bowler to hold things together and mentor them - its pointless chucking them out there on their own against hardened county pros, as talented as these guys are.

They've got Alfonso Thomas, but he misses the start of the season with the IPL and seems to pretty much be guaranteed an injury a year. That's where I think Charl Willoughby was perfect - he was an older guy, a workhorse and could mentor the up-and-comers.

Tresco
Suppiah
Compo
Hildreth
CK
Buttler
Trego
Thomas
J Overton
Dockrell
Dibble

(Gregory, Meschede, Barrow, Leach, Hussain, Kirby, Waller, Jones et al)

Who/what type of player would you grab for the overseas slot?
from this Somerset planning for 2013 season - News - Somerset County Cricket Club it seems they;re looking to strength the batting rather than the bowling. The top 5 or 6 batsmen in the squad are very good and then there is a pretty big fall off(Jones, Barrow) so i can see the need for another batsman. Possibly a lot is dependent on whether Compton is a success with England and whether KW is dropped permanently.

Would be interesting if they got another high scoring batsman as an overseas player and paired them with Tres, Compton, Hildreth and Kieswetter. Could be carnage at Taunton.

Spin is a big issue going forward imo. Dockrell is good enough to be the regular spinner but coming in and out of the season to play for Ireland really disrupts Somerset especially as there is no decent alternative.

Someone like Moeen Ali from the domestic game is someone they could target as he is a top order batsmen but also bowled a lot of overs of offspin this season. He could be the frontline spinner when Dockrell isn't there and second when he is.

On a different note Liam Plunkett signed for Yorkshire today.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, Looks like Abdur won't be back next season. Pakistani cricketers, gotta love 'em.

Dunno really who I want, I'd ideally like an overseas bowler that can just play through the year, but not sure who that would be, whilst strengthening the batting with some English stalwarts. Hard to see that we'll get the injuries we did last year, but International call-ups is obviously a problem.

So I guess valiant defeat is on the cards again.

theegyptian

haha logging onto pakpassion but im guessing the general consensus is ****ing ecb.

probably should have its own thread

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Doubt he'll get a 2 year ban, wouldn't be surprised if he was available to play part of next season for Somerset. Although it will depend on what recreational drug it was.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
from this Somerset planning for 2013 season - News - Somerset County Cricket Club it seems they;re looking to strength the batting rather than the bowling. The top 5 or 6 batsmen in the squad are very good and then there is a pretty big fall off(Jones, Barrow) so i can see the need for another batsman. Possibly a lot is dependent on whether Compton is a success with England and whether KW is dropped permanently.

Would be interesting if they got another high scoring batsman as an overseas player and paired them with Tres, Compton, Hildreth and Kieswetter. Could be carnage at Taunton.

Spin is a big issue going forward imo. Dockrell is good enough to be the regular spinner but coming in and out of the season to play for Ireland really disrupts Somerset especially as there is no decent alternative.

Someone like Moeen Ali from the domestic game is someone they could target as he is a top order batsmen but also bowled a lot of overs of offspin this season. He could be the frontline spinner when Dockrell isn't there and second when he is.
The only problem then is fitting someone like Moeen into the top order - I guess it does depend on Compo's success at Test level. I wouldn't want to rely on Moeen as a first-choice spinner though, especially later in the season.

If you sign an o/s spinner, you basically guarantee them each game; its rare that you need two frontliners to Dockrell would suffer. Finding someone from the County system would be ideal, but I'm not sure who's floating around and potentially able to be signed.

grecian

The only problem then is fitting someone like Moeen into the top order - I guess it does depend on Compo's success at Test level. I wouldn't want to rely on Moeen as a first-choice spinner though, especially later in the season.

If you sign an o/s spinner, you basically guarantee them each game; its rare that you need two frontliners to Dockrell would suffer. Finding someone from the County system would be ideal, but I'm not sure who's floating around and potentially able to be signed.
Well, Waller's signed a new contract, and has gone to Oz on a developmental prog, would be nice to see him improving and taking a few wickets.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Waller's signed a new contract, and has gone to Oz on a developmental prog, would be nice to see him improving and taking a few wickets.
What's he like? I've never seen him bowl. Stats wise he looks like a good T20 prospect, but his FC numbers are pretty average. I'm guessing there's plenty of potential there.

#BringBackMikeMunday

grecian

What's he like? I've never seen him bowl. Stats wise he looks like a good T20 prospect, but his FC numbers are pretty average. I'm guessing there's plenty of potential there.

#BringBackMikeMunday
From what I've seen he doesn't look great as a 4-day option, but am hoping some time in Oz may help.