• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
You surprise me bagpath Why would you put Flow.ers and Sangakara ahead of Farok Engineer who I consider the best gloveman to come out of the sub continent .
Farookh was an opener, JBMAC. I have chosen McCullum and Stewart to face the new ball. The middle order is too difficult to break in.

bagapath

International Captain
Alec Stewart
Rahul Dravid
Kumar Sangakkara
AB de Villiers
Garry Sobers
Andy Flower
Adam Gilchrist +
Ian Botham
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Shaun Pollock
But Dravid never kept wickets in test cricket! In 164 tests... not even once!!! How is he qualified for selection here?

You might as well consider Shane Warne. Equally qualified as Dravid. 0 tests as keeper. At least you'll get a spinner!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But Dravid never kept wickets in test cricket! In 164 tests... not even once!!! How is he qualified for selection here?

You might as well consider Shane Warne. Equally qualified as Dravid. 0 tests as keeper. At least you'll get a spinner!
Fair enough. Will have Walcott, then

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Flower kept in Tests. Just like Glenn McGrath batted. Wouldn't pick McGrath as an ATG batsman though.

nah you're right though

Flametree

International 12th Man
Just wanted to lend my support to Lillian T about keeping standards. I've watched cricket since the 70s and some of the best I've seen were the likes of Wadsworth, Taylor, Kirmani from that era.

At every leve,l and T20 is the epitome of this these days where many teams barely even have a keeper, keepers are expected to score runs and be an extra batsmen. Presumably this goes all the way down to school level cricket, so pure keepers get weeded out early and the ones that make it through to first class cricket may not be the best keepers around.

To take some recent examples :

England played Stewart/Jones/Prior/Bairstow/Buttler ahead of Russell/Read/Foster/Foakes despite virtually no-one thinking the former group were better keepers.
India played Dhoni and Pant ahead of Saha
Sri Lanka played Sangakkara as keeper when they had Jayawardene
West Indies played Ramdin ahead of Baugh
Pakistan played Kamran Akmal and Sarfraz Ahmed ahead of I don't know who but there must have been a multitude of better keepers out there....

And those are just the ones we know of.

stephen

Personally I think it's because runs are easier to qualify than the quality of a keeper. There's no good start for keeping. Error percentage is as close as it gets but then your punishing keepers who are great missing virtually impossible catches. Much easier to say "this bloke is more likely to make a ton than this other guy" and pick the better bat.

Starfighter

Were any of them good keepers or batsmen? As far as I can see the Windies have had a large amount of rubbish post-Dujon.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Were any of them good keepers or batsmen? As far as I can see the Windies have had a large amount of rubbish post-Dujon.
I suppose Ridley Jacobs ticks both of those boxes. Supremely gifted 'keeper who played many rescue knocks in his day.

Also, Ramdin was quality. You guys are high.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't call them rubbish. In fact, Junior Murray in particular always looked the goods to me. Could always be called upon to play an attacking innings up the order too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Baugh was the one whom I thought they picked for his potential as a batsman than his keeping skills. And felt his keeping left a lot to be desired. The current Windies test keeper seems fine though? Dowrich?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Baugh was the one whom I thought they picked for his potential as a batsman than his keeping skills. And felt his keeping left a lot to be desired. The current Windies test keeper seems fine though? Dowrich?
Baugh was pretty bad at everything, but he was catapulted into the squad (I think) in 2003 after making a ton against the Aussies in a tour game. So yes I think you're right that it was probably his batting he was picked for.

He was also a very, very small dude.