• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
Really? If you remove his record against England (arguably one of the weakest bowling sides Waugh faced), Steve has 7727 runs (the same number as Ian Bell) at 48.59. I could be reading far too much into statistics here but those numbers aren't the numbers of an ATG.

Ashes great? Yes. ATG? I'm not convinced...
Take England out and Viv Richards averages 46 and you could argue that England was the weakest attack Viv has faced as well. The thing is all great players feast on poor bowling while still holding their own against great ones. I don't think Sachin's record against great pace attacks in the 90's was that great either (prob worst than Waugh's though did not check) but he played at least one great knock per series when he faced up to them. The thing is its pretty ****ing hard to average nice fat 55 against ATG bowlers.

If you want to go full on stats Waugh averages 50 against both SA and WI with 9 tons when Ambrose and Donald were firing in all cylinders. As good as Border imo

91Jmay

International Coach
Stewie shouldn't be on anyone's lists unless he is keeper then I can see an argument (but not much of one). Averaged 46 against some ridiculous attacks without the gloves.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of blokes picking Heals in their teams - a sign of how dickish his commentary is to turn opinion against him, or do people here genuinely think Boucher was a better gloveman?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of blokes picking Heals in their teams - a sign of how dickish his commentary is to turn opinion against him, or do people here genuinely think Boucher was a better gloveman?
Haha yeah, picked Boucher, but most just think Boucher's batting would make him a stronger pick.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Gayle
Sanath Jayasuriya
Andrew Strauss
Stephen Fleming
Dilip Vengsarkar
Saleem Malik
Mark Boucher +
Dan Vettori
Chaminda Vaas
James Anderson
Makhaya Ntini

How the hell did Saleem Malik not make it to any of the lists yet? Inzi, watson, seriously?
Forgot Hooper. Him in for Vengsarkar.

Camo999

State 12th Man
R/H Bat, R/A BowlL/H Bat, L/A BowlL/H Bat, R/A BowlR/H Bat, L/A Bowl
HobbsLawryHaydenV Mankad
GraceMorris*G SmithMcCartney
BradmanLeylandSangakkaraD Compton
Tendulkar*BorderG Pollock*Worrell
V RichardsSobersLaraInzamam
MillerShakib Al HasanN HarveyM Clarke
*Imran+J Adams??+Gilchrist+M Bissett
+KnottDavidsonHadleeW Rhodes
MarshallWasim AkramS BroadZ Khan
WarneM JohnsonO'ReillyUnderwood
BarnesB JohnstonAmbroseBoult

I wonder has there ever been a totally left handed player keep in test cricket? Struggling to find one.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There was this Gilchrist bloke who was reasonable I heard.
Gilchrist bowled right arm mediums. So do any lefty wicketkeepers I can find who have any record of their bowling style. I did manage to find the best name of a cricketer ever on the search, at least.

~

I think the point where I was finding myself trying in vain to track down match reports that mentioned what Niall O'Brien was bowling when he got Carlton Baugh out in a first-class match in 2010 led to a moment of serious introspection

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Oh I swore I remember him bowling left armers once. Memory failing me once again.

Quinton de Kock has bowled 1 over in FC cricket, anyone know what he lobbed down?

Camo999

State 12th Man
Yeah Jimmy could be it. I vaguely recall him keeping in a few ODIs. Quite bizarre that there's not a definite full leftie test keeper listed on statsguru.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Really? If you remove his record against England (arguably one of the weakest bowling sides Waugh faced), Steve has 7727 runs (the same number as Ian Bell) at 48.59. I could be reading far too much into statistics here but those numbers aren't the numbers of an ATG.

Ashes great? Yes. ATG? I'm not convinced...
I hate this argument so much! If you take out anyone's record against a weaker team of their era will their stats go up or down? Herp derp. And anyhow, he still averages 49 with England out!

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I hate this argument so much! If you take out anyone's record against a weaker team of their era will their stats go up or down? Herp derp. And anyhow, he still averages 49 with England out!
I realise the shortcomings of my method. I overlooked how extraordinary the bowling strength was in that era: Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Waqar, Wasim, Donald, Pollock, Murali, Kumble. Averaging nearly 50 against that lot is very impressive.