• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
Think its time to update my AT OD xi since DeVilliers now seems to have hacked the matrix

Hayden
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Symonds
Dhoni
Pollock
Wasim
Lee
Murali

Sorry gilly and punt

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Second XI shaping up as a serious force over the past 5 years.

First XISecond XI
TendulkarGilchrist +
Ponting/KohliHayden
RichardsKohli/Ponting
deVilliers +Amla ?
Dhoni +Bevan
SymondsKlusener
Kapil/FlintoffKapil/Flintoff
WasimPollock
LeeWarne/Saqlain
GarnerWaqar/Ambrose
MuralitharanMcGrath

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Second XI shaping up as a serious force over the past 5 years.

First XISecond XI
TendulkarGilchrist +
Ponting/KohliHayden
RichardsKohli/Ponting
deVilliers +Amla ?
Dhoni +Bevan
SymondsKlusener
Kapil/FlintoffKapil/Flintoff
WasimPollock
LeeWarne
Garner
MuralitharanMcGrath
for the 2nd XI Saqlain over warne imo,

also any of donald or waqar or ambrose decent shouts for the 2nd XI pacer spot.

cnerd123

likes this
Hmmm

First XI
-------------
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Viv
ABDV
MSD (+)
Bevan
Flintoff
Dev
Murali
McGrath
Garner

Second XI
--------------
Gilchrist (+)
Kallis
Kohli
Ponting
Yuvraj
Symonds
Imran Khan (*)
Klusener
Pollock
Mushtaq
Ambrose

Went a bit allrounder-crazy for that second XI.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Still have Gilly over Dhoni. Cos he's a gun, and it balances better.

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
V.Richards
AB DeVilliers
Symonds
Kapil
Pollock
Wasim
Garner
Murali

As much as I think McGrath is great, not much separates him and Pollock and Pollock's lower order hitting was pretty handy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
First XI:

Tendulkar
Amla
Richards
Ponting
De Villiers
Hussey
Imran Khan
Klusener
Wasim Akram
Garner
Muralitharan

Harsh on Dhoni, certainly could drop one of Amla/Ponting & play him.

watson

Banned
Still have Gilly over Dhoni. Cos he's a gun, and it balances better.

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
V.Richards
AB DeVilliers
Symonds
Kapil
Pollock
Wasim
Garner
Murali

As much as I think McGrath is great, not much separates him and Pollock and Pollock's lower order hitting was pretty handy.
That's pretty much my team as well. Although while my head says Ponting at 3, my heart says Lara.

Agreed that McGrath edges Pollock in bowling, but 8 is an important position and not having Pollock makes the tail too long imo.

Hussey or Bevan are choice 'finishers' and could replace Symonds if inclined. Having said that, I've never seen the point of 'finishers'. Why not have a reliable hitter at 6 and win the game with overs, rather than balls to spare?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Always felt Lara could have had a similar impact in ODIs to Tendy as if he had opened batting long term as he did circa 1991-1995 with great success. But of course Windies team weakness would not allow that.

cnerd123

likes this
Hussey or Bevan are choice 'finishers' and could replace Symonds if inclined. Having said that, I've never seen the point of 'finishers'. Why not have a reliable hitter at 6 and win the game with overs, rather than balls to spare?
Not all conditions are suited to big hitting, a 'reliable hitter' may not necessarily bat well with the tail (but a good finisher, by nature, does), and a low-risk approach to run chases leads to more wins in the long run than the inherent high-risk approach of big hitting.

Last edited:

Red

I have Symonds for his fielding as much as anything. Probably the best fielder I've seen. The fact that he's a massive hitter and handy bowling option make it an easy choice for me.

Ponting, Viv and Symonds would be unbelievable in the inner circle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My ATG ODI XI for today:

Tendulkar
Lara'
Sir Viv
De Villiers
Bevan
Dhoni
Flintoff
Warne
Wasim
Murali
Ambrose

If I can somehow get in a left arm orthodox spinner there, it would be an awesome side while additionally possessing every variety of bowler available. :)

Red

My ATG ODI XI for today:

Tendulkar
Lara'
Sir Viv
De Villiers
Bevan
Dhoni
Flintoff
Warne
Wasim
Murali
Ambrose

If I can somehow get in a left arm orthodox spinner there, it would be an awesome side while additionally possessing every variety of bowler available. :)
Drop Flintoff for Shakib!