• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
Malcolm Marshall's XI

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Border
Miandad
Lloyd (c)
Imran
Healy (wk)
Akram
Holding
Lillee

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Malcolm Marshall's XI

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Border
Miandad
Lloyd (c)
Imran
Healy (wk)
Akram
Holding
Lillee
Pretty neat idea to have two reverse swing masters instead of a spinner. This really is a fast bowler's XI :thumbsup:

bagapath

International Captain
Ravi Shastri's XI is one of the best

Gavaskar
Hayden
Richards
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Imran
Knott (wk)
Marshall
Warne
Lillee

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Except....

3. Bradman
4. Tendulkar
5. Richards

Is the way that should read.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I always think that in such sides, it would be a better idea to get Lara in at 4 instead of Richards or Sachin, coz he is really not that away from those two as a batsman (if at all he is lesser to them, which I dont think is true) but you at least get a left hander in the top half of the line up...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I always think that in such sides, it would be a better idea to get Lara in at 4 instead of Richards or Sachin, coz he is really not that away from those two as a batsman (if at all he is lesser to them, which I dont think is true) but you at least get a left hander in the top half of the line up...
This right-left thing Sunny has drilled in our minds, really. I prefer people batting in their natural positions first and right-left coming into consideration after that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. but with Bradman at 3, someone has to bat in an unnatural position anyways.. and The Prince had enough success at 4 to warrant him batting there...

smash84

The Tiger King
Ravi Shastri's XI is one of the best

Gavaskar
Hayden
Richards
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Imran
Knott (wk)
Marshall
Warne
Lillee
This really is an excellent team. One of the best by a former cricketer.

Macko's team highly unbalanced.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Was reading on Bert Oldfield recently, and what a stumper he was. Ryder being described as fast medium, and this being the dismissal of Hobbs of all people.

Oldfield's piece de resistance was evidently the dismissal of Hobbs, when Ryder sent down an unexpectedly fast delivery that rose cap high: Hobbs, in avoiding the ball, moved momentarily out of his crease; Oldfield, meanwhile, in an amazing movement, had taken the ball and flicked a bail off.

Never seems to be mentioned as much as he should, and of course he was fortunate to keep to Mailey and Grimmett and O'Reilly. But players such as Gilchrist and Healy kept to Warne for most of their careers (all, in Gilchrist's case, plus Stuart MacGill) and never approached that level. Same applies to any other keepers who played with spinners extensively.

watson

Banned
Doug Walters picks his best ever World XI

Doug Walters was the ultimate batting excitement machine when he burst onto the Test scene in 1965 at 19 years of age.

Cricket lovers got an earlier taste of the Dungog-born all-rounder when he debuted for NSW against Wes Hall at 17, helping himself to a fearless 50.

He tripled that at the Gabba on his Test debut against England with 155, and made England pay again at the MCG in his second Test with 115.

I was lucky enough to be at both Tests, as well as at the SCG to see his superb 246 and 103 against the Windies in 1969, the first time any batsman had scored a double and a century in the same Test.

Add to those memorable digs the century in a session against England at the WACA, slamming Bob Willis for a massive six over midwicket off the last ball of the day, and his majestic 250 against New Zealand at Christchurch in 1977.

There was never a dull moment when Kevin Douglas Walters was on duty, scoring stand at attention boundaries, weedling out stubborn batsmen and breaking big partnerships with his nagging medium pacers, or taking great catches in the cordon or the country.

He was the fans’ favourite, best described by teammate Dennis Lillee:
“There will never be another like him. I never saw him throw a bat, never heard him say a bad word about anyone. He was so cool.”

And Doug has never changed, he’s the same unflappable bloke he’s always been, with an acute sense of humour, which prompted me to ask him last week to name a team of the best cricketers he’s ever played against.

It reads like a Who’s Who of legends, with the exeption of Sri Lanka that earned Test status in 1984, three years after Doug retired.

West Indies
Gary Sobers, Rohan Kanhai, Wes Hall, Charlie Griffiths, Lance Gibbs, Roy Fredericks, Desmond Haynes, Gordon Greenidge, Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, and Joel Garner.

England
Geoff Boycott, Ken Barrington, Tom Graveney, Colin Cowdrey, John Edrich, Alan Knott, Derek Underwood, John Snow, Bob Willis, Ian Botham, and Tony Greig.

South Africa
Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, Peter Pollock, Denis Lindsay, Eddie Barlow, and Mike Procter.

India
Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Erapalli Prasanna, Bishen Bedi, Gundappa Viswanath, and Srinivas Venkataraghavan.

Pakistan
Imran Khan, Majid Khan, Zaheer Abbas, Mushtaq Mohammad, Wasim Bari, and Sarfraz Nawaz.

New Zealand
Bevan Congdon, Glenn Turner, and Richard Hadlee.
Despite the talent on show, Doug took just five minutes to circle the names on the list. His selection policy was like his batting – get on with it.

The Doug Walters World XI:
(1) Geoff Boycott
(2) Barry Richards
(3) Graeme Pollock
(4) Viv Richards
(5) Gary Sobers
(6) Clive Lloyd (capt)
(7) Ian Botham
(8) Alan Knott
(9) Richard Hadlee
(10) Andy Roberts
(11) Derek Underwood

(12) Bishen Bedi

Thanks Doug Walters, that was one mighty interesting exercise.

Doug Walters picks his best ever World XI | The Roar

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cricketers I like today:

Victor Trumper
Barry Richards
Clem Hill
Jaques Kallis
Dennis Compton
Allan Border
Warwick Armstrong
Godfrey Evans
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath

Flem274*

123/5
Jack Hobbs | Don Bradman | Ricky Ponting (c) | Viv Richards | Garry Sobers | Jacques Kallis | Adam Gilchrist (wk) | Imran Khan | Richard Hadlee | Malcolm Marshall | Shane Warne

Thought I'd change it up a bit to keep things fresh and make people grumpy. Some new batting selections. Ponting was the man in the team and the demon of my childhood, Viv was the same in his era and I like me some overpowered Baz and Watling at five and six, plus they're the two greatest batting allrounders ever. Then my usual 7-11 mixing ATG bowling with an overpowered tail.

A team to face them

Gordon Greenidge | Desmond Haynes | Kumar Sangakkara | Allan Border (c) | Steve Waugh | VVS Laxman | BJ Watling (wk) | Wasim Akram | Dale Steyn | Glenn McGrath | Muttiah Muralitharan

Just had some fun with that one. Would be a hell of a lot harder to beat than it looks. 4-7 are some of the greatest fighters to set foot on a cricket field.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hutton
Richards
Bradman
Sangakkara
Miller (2)
Waugh, S
Watling +
Vettori (5)
Hadlee (1)
Johnson (3)
Muralitharan (4)

Miller and Johnson to operate in short bursts and dominate everyone. Hadlee and Murali to bowl long spells and be the stable guys, Vettori to bowl dry.

Hutton/Richards would be a really good combination IMO. Bradman + Sanga to be ruthless accumulators, Miller to blast it around and Waugh/Watling to dig 'em out of trouble if something goes wrong. And no shortage of lower order fight, either.

bagapath

International Captain
Hutton - second best opener of all time
Hobbs - best opener of all time
Bradman - best no.3., best bat ever
Kallis - greatest no 4., solid seam bowler, great slip catcher
Viv Richards - second best batsman after bradman, unconventional no 5, master blaster
Sobers - champion all rounder, possibly best cricketer ever, lefty
Gilchrist - best wk - batsman ever, lefty
Marshall - joint best right arm fast bowler
Warne - best leggie ever
Lillee - joint best right arm fast bowler
Barnes - best slow medium bowler ever

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am going to go most players I have seen (footage or live)..

Hayden
Sehwag
Lara
Sachin
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Flintoff
Wasim
Steyn
Warne
Murali

Would be a very very tough side to beat anywhere IMO..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hutton - second best opener of all time
Hobbs - best opener of all time
Bradman - best no.3., best bat ever
Kallis - greatest no 4., solid seam bowler, great slip catcher
Viv Richards - second best batsman after bradman, unconventional no 5, master blaster
Sobers - champion all rounder, possibly best cricketer ever, lefty
Gilchrist - best wk - batsman ever, lefty
Marshall - joint best right arm fast bowler
Warne - best leggie ever
Lillee - joint best right arm fast bowler
Barnes - best slow medium bowler ever
Kallis greatest no. 4 over Chappell and Sachin? Big call though in no way ridiculous.