Evans
    Akram
    Marshall
    Warne
    Holding

Hammond
    Hooper
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Thanks for reviving this thread folks
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    I more than expected this thread to explode back to life during the MCCvROW game
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Gilchrist was one of the most destructive batsmen in cricket history. He could turn a tight game overwhelmingly in Australia's favour inside a session. At no point would I have DeVilliers, Flower, Knott, Ames, Lindsay or anyone over him and would be stoked if you had 1st chance to pick him in a draft but overlooked him.
    Good for you, and he was at times very exciting as a batsman and took some good catches. But his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper to everyone, so prepare for your excitement to be upheld.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Steyn 10. Herath 11. Roach

I want West Indies to be competitive again

International Debutant
    Yeah...at times. Anyway never give a sucker an even break and if you really think that I wont disabuse you.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Good for you, and he was at times very exciting as a batsman and took some good catches. But his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper to everyone, so prepare for your excitement to be upheld.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper"?

Overall, I think he maintained an exceptional standard of wicketkeeping throughout his career. At the very end he declined slightly.
    kyear2 likes this.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    I more than expected this thread to explode back to life during the MCCvROW game
    Yeah ATG XI:

Arun Finch
    Arun Finch
    Arun Finch
    Arun Finch
    Yuvraj Singh
    Paul Collingwood
    Chris Read (wk)
    Saeed Chuckmal
    Saeed Chuckmal
    Saeed Chuckmal
    Saeed Chuckmal

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Yeah ATG XI:

Arun Finch
    Arun Finch
    Arun Finch
    Arun Finch
    Yuvraj Singh
    Paul Collingwood
    Chris Read (wk)
    Saeed Chuckmal
    Brett Lee
    Saeed Chuckmal
    Saeed Chuckmal

Barry
    Viv
    Lara
    Sobers
    Grace
    Miller
    Gilly
    Wasim
    Warne
    Bond
    Murali

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Shouldn't Grace be opening? Viv at 3 and the Prince at 4 and Sobers at 5 would settle that line up much better
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Shouldn't Grace be opening? Viv at 3 and the Prince at 4 and Sobers at 5 would settle that line up much better
    Yeah But I wasn't going with logic there. Just something I would like to see happen. Have to start with the Richardses

Plus Grace and Miller batting together would be so good...

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper"?

Overall, I think he maintained an exceptional standard of wicketkeeping throughout his career. At the very end he declined slightly.
    I've gone into this debate too often, but for me his footwork was not good putting him out if place and leading to diving catches that looked great or else were dropped or not even reached.
    I also thought his stumpings weren't with the speed of a Grout or the precision of a Tallon. So exceptional no, but better than most who have since tried to follow his batsman keeper ways, sure

International Debutant
    Gilly was a magnificent keeper. The distinction with Tallon or Grout is just one for the purists. Its like preferring one batsmen over another bcos he plays the cover drive classically. Or a bowler bcos his action is more side on than others. It may appeal aesthetically but there isn't a practical benefit that should influence selection. What matters to a batsman is runs. Similarly it doesnt matter if a keeper dives for his catches as long as he holds them and that his stumpings are swift enough to find batsmen out of their crease. Gilly took his chances and then accelerates ahead of anyone thanks to his match winning batting.
    Prince EWS, Justo and The Sean like this.

Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    I've gone into this debate too often, but for me his footwork was not good putting him out if place and leading to diving catches that looked great or else were dropped or not even reached.
    I also thought his stumpings weren't with the speed of a Grout or the precision of a Tallon. So exceptional no, but better than most who have since tried to follow his batsman keeper ways, sure
    Just never got this. He was exceptional standing back and rarely missed stuff, and he had to keep to Warne and MacGill and was incredibly tidy at that as well.

Modern keepers don't get as much chance to show off their stumping skills because modern batsmen play back in their crease a lot more, and spinners are generally less utilised nowadays anyhow.

Thread Information