• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah, for sure.

Sachin
Sourav
Kohli
Sehwag
Yuvi
Dhoni
Raina
Kapil
Agarkar
Zaheer
Kumble
Azhar and Ajay Jadeja instead of Viru/Raina, and possibly Bhajji over Kumble and I'd agree to this XI.

If we dont pick Azhar due to him being a matchfixer, I'd prefer Dravid 3 and Kohli 4, and Raina 6 MSD 7.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agarkar over Srinath? :crazy:

I'd also have Dravid in for Sehwag tbh. Could be a very useful player to steady the ship if a few wickets fall early. The slowish role is pretty overlooked in ODIs, always helps to have on guy of that mould, when conditions aren't easy.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Azhar and Ajay Jadeja instead of Viru/Raina, and possibly Bhajji over Kumble and I'd agree to this XI.

If we dont pick Azhar due to him being a matchfixer, I'd prefer Dravid 3 and Kohli 4, and Raina 6 MSD 7.
Yeah, forgot Azhar... but yeah, it never feels right picking that **** for any AT XI
Not picking those two ****s ever in any line-up. They can go to hell.

Agarkar over Srinath? :crazy:

I'd also have Dravid in for Sehwag tbh. Could be a very useful player to steady the ship if a few wickets fall early. The slowish role is pretty overlooked in ODIs, always helps to have on guy of that mould, when conditions aren't easy.
I am cool with Dravid ahead of Sehwag. Agarkar is the man for ODI bowling :p

harsh.ag

Greendige was a better ODI opener than Haynes, who always gets ranked ahead of him, don't know why.

cnerd123

likes this
Zaheer won us the WC, ****. Srinath almost did in 2003, too. Agarkar went at 5rpo, in the pre-t20 era. Just way too expensive.
Agarkar took wickets.

And good wickets too. Top order batsmen with the new ball, none of this tailenders slogging ****.

He bowled quick, full, and swung the ball. He was willing to be driven or hit over the top in the hunt for wickets. For large patches of his ODI career he was our only source of wickets.

If he bowled on better pitches and had better bowlers supporting him, his already decent record would be much better.

OverratedSanity

I'm not even saying he was terrible in ODIs. I just don't think he was a patch on Zaheer and Srinath. Those two were generally far more useful to our ODI successes than Agarkar everw as.

harsh.ag

Both Zak and Ashish ****ing Nehra outbowled Srinath in the '03 WC, so he never almost bowl us to anything, **** #AjitGoldenBoy

cnerd123

likes this
Sachin won us nothing and that **** still finds a spot in this team, why not Ajit.

Besides I'm sure he's won us some minor ODI series here and there.

harsh.ag

Was never given the fair chance because of "gives away too many runs" syndrome, while we have persisted with the likes of Ishant Sharma.

Fastest to fifty ODI wickets (in 23 matches, later usurped by Ajantha Mendis), India's fastest ODI 50 (in 21 balls). Srinath was a slightly better overall bowler maybe, but Ajit takes it for all round performance and strike rate.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm gonna hit Statsguru hard now in order to pull up a bunch of statistics that I will then twist to prove OS is wrong and that Ajit is an Indian ODI ATG.

#AjitGoldenBoy

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm undoubtedly with OS on this. I'll sooner take Manoj Prabhakar and Irfan Pathan than pick Ajit Agarkar in a ODI XI. The guy was useless after his first 50 wickets. Srinath and Zaheer are both really automatic choices.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My India ODI XI will be:

Sourav Ganguly
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
Mahendra Dhoni*+
Kapil Dev
Harbhajan Singh
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Anil Kumble

OverratedSanity

I'm gonna hit Statsguru hard now in order to pull up a bunch of statistics that I will then twist to prove OS is wrong and that Ajit is an Indian ODI ATG.

#AjitGoldenBoy
I'll just save you the time. No stats are going to convince me that Agarkar was better than Srinath and Zaheer. ODI bowling stats are utterly useless for the most part.