Page 100 of 235 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 3523
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

  1. #1486
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    india
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Why is Viv considered greater than Greg Chappell? Because he was more spectacular? Personally I disagree with that.
    1. viv , gavaskar > chappell

    this is general view of experts . i think


    is this similar to
    2. sachin , lara > ponting

  2. #1487
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,948
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    1. viv , gavaskar > chappell

    this is general view of experts . i think


    is this similar to
    2. sachin , lara > ponting
    Dunno if it's the view of experts. Maybe it's the opinion of trolls from India trying to bait Australians?

  3. #1488
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    1. viv , gavaskar > chappell

    this is general view of experts . i think


    is this similar to
    2. sachin , lara > ponting
    Not sure many experts would explicitly state gavaskar>chappell. Gavaskar is very highly rated as one of the greatest openers of all time. That doesnt necessarily mean he's rated above Chappell.

    Personally think Chappell was better than Gavaskar by quite some distance

  4. #1489
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    Genuine question here:

    Why is SRT an automatic choice into a world XI, while Jacques Kallis is completely ignored despite being statistically better than him even whilst carrying the added burden of pace bowling? I know some will say "it's beyond stats" or something like that but is is really? Has Sachin not been overhyped due to his massive fanbase?

    An interesting debate would be that, given that Sobers could be given the bowling in an ATG team, would a pure-batsman Kallis not be an even greater asset with the bat than he has been in his career whilst bogged down with the ball?

    And finally, is Kallis seen as worse than SRT, Ponting and Lara because he is less exciting a player?
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

    Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.


  5. #1490
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,948
    Sachin's consistency against everyone, everywhere, is a big selling point. The guys has never been mediocre against anyone, anywhere. Against all opponents, in all conditions. He is a brilliant batsman to watch, and probably the most "technically complete" batsman I've ever seen. I think that accounts for his success everywhere.

    Massively overhyped by his Indian fan-base, sure. But an absolute champion.

  6. #1491
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Genuine question here:

    And finally, is Kallis seen as worse than SRT, Ponting and Lara because he is less exciting a player?
    Yup, undoubtedly. And its something i fully support actually. Lara, Sachin and Ponting at their peaks changed the course of games in breathtaking fashion, something which players like Kallis, Dravid etc couldnt. For people who value aesthetics, flair players will be rated higher if they have comparable records.
    I dont mean to demean Kallis at all...,i think he's a legend and if someone picks him over the mentioned three i wouldnt argue, but personally, id have him just below those three for the generation.
    kyear2 likes this.

  7. #1492
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    india
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Dunno if it's the view of experts. Maybe it's the opinion of trolls from India trying to bait Australians?
    espn legends
    gavaskar ranked no:10
    chappel 16 / 17..??

    gavaskar hailed as greatest opener / greatest modern era batsman by few
    never heard anythng like tht on chappel

    hobbs > chappel = general view
    gavaskar arguably equal / better to hobbs

  8. #1493
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    That's a matter of opinion. Can you please top making statements like they're fact?
    kyear2 has this terrible habit of doing this time and again.

    A conversation with kyear2 goes like this

    FAST BOWLING CONVERSATION

    poster x: For bowlers playing over 50 tests the averages are really close and a lot of avid cricket followers think that Lillee is the greatest fast bowler ever to play the game.
    kyear2: The avid followers are pathetically biased

    poster x: Why do you say that?
    kyear2: Because Sobers is the greatest all rounder ever to play the game.

    poster x: But we were discussing fast bowlers. Why do you think the so called experts and followers are heavily biased?
    Kyear2: Because Marshall is the greatest fast bowler ever to play the game.

    poster x: You make that sound like a fact. Do you have any reasons.
    Kyear2: Marshall played in the greatest cricket team ever.

    poster x: You pass that around like another fact. Do you have any reasons.
    kyear2: That is my opinion. I don't need to give reasons.



    poster x:
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  9. #1494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Sachin's consistency against everyone, everywhere, is a big selling point. The guys has never been mediocre against anyone, anywhere. Against all opponents, in all conditions. He is a brilliant batsman to watch, and probably the most "technically complete" batsman I've ever seen. I think that accounts for his success everywhere.

    Massively overhyped by his Indian fan-base, sure. But an absolute champion.
    Nailed it. He's one of the most aesthetically pleasing batsmen ever, with as complete and flawless a record as you can hope for. It may be unfair to state these reasons to say he's better than Kallis, who is probably equally if not more effective, but its how most people think

  10. #1495
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    But that's just bollocks. Most entertaining and best batsman are two separate accolades. You should be selecting for an ATG team based on who the superior batsman is. Basically what you're saying is that because SRT is better to watch, he should make an ATG team? So you're basically saying aesthetics is more important than performance in determining the best player of all time.

  11. #1496
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    It just sounds a bit like those lacking in cricket knowledge saying "OK, Steyn is the best in the world, and then Lasith Malinga is second. Why? Because he's awesome to watch."

    Obviously that's an extreme example, but you get my point.

  12. #1497
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    But that's just bollocks. Most entertaining and best batsman are two separate accolades. You should be selecting for an ATG team based on who the superior batsman is. Basically what you're saying is that because SRT is better to watch, he should make an ATG team? So you're basically saying aesthetics is more important than performance in determining the best player of all time.
    way to go...completely missed the point.
    First of all, i clearly said aesthetics come into the picture only if batsmen have comparable records, which these four do. Theres little to choose between them stats wise. Its totally subjective too so theres no point arguing this
    Secondly, Sachin, lara and Ponting could change gears and do both the defensive and attacking jobs superbly and demonstrated that on numerous occasions. Kallis while as effective as them in terms of stats cant quite counter-attack as effectively as them which makes him less versatile in my opinion. Arguable, but i stick by what i said. Kallis.is magnificent but Lara, Sachin and Punter better batsmen for the reasons stated above
    kyear2 likes this.

  13. #1498
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    espn legends
    gavaskar ranked no:10
    chappel 16 / 17..??

    gavaskar hailed as greatest opener / greatest modern era batsman by few
    never heard anythng like tht on chappel

    hobbs > chappel = general view
    gavaskar arguably equal / better to hobbs
    Falling back on the opinion of experts to back you up is a little strange given where you rank Bradman.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  14. #1499
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    india
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    way to go...completely missed the point.
    First of all, i clearly said aesthetics come into the picture only if batsmen have comparable records, which these four do. Theres little to choose between them stats wise. Its totally subjective too so theres no point arguing this
    Secondly, Sachin, lara and Ponting could change gears and do both the defensive and attacking jobs superbly and demonstrated that on numerous occasions. Kallis while as effective as them in terms of stats cant quite counter-attack as effectively as them which makes him less versatile in my opinion. Arguable, but i stick by what i said. Kallis.is magnificent but Lara, Sachin and Punter better batsmen for the reasons stated above
    well said.

    four ?? not dravid ??

  15. #1500
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    It just sounds a bit like those lacking in cricket knowledge saying "OK, Steyn is the best in the world, and then Lasith Malinga is second. Why? Because he's awesome to watch."

    Obviously that's an extreme example, but you get my point.
    Awful example. Atleast pick two cricketers whose achievements over their careers are equally impressive. Not one ATG and a mediocre at best cricketer FFS



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •