42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine

32 76.19%
  • Unsporting

6 14.29%
  • Flamboyantly Gay

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is running out the non-striker when he's backing up "against the spirit of the game"?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Is running out the non-striker when he's backing up "against the spirit of the game"?

BBC Sport - Somerset v Surrey: Murali Kartik causes run-out controversy

Murali Kartik getting in some hot water over this one.

I reckon it's absolutely fine. He's not just wandering out of his crease for a merry stroll, he's trying to gain a sporting advantage by backing up. Why on earth should the fielding team allow that?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    If a batsman is out on a stroll, in spite of being warned, does that count as being in the spirit of the game?

"Then why do wicketkeepers try to run batsman out when they are batting out of the crease to slow seamers to negate their swing. Why the hypocrisy in spirit?

Pretty much.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    In a game where run-outs and stump-out are decided by few cms, it's unfair for a batsman to gain advantage by backing up. Fielders should be allowed to dismiss them without warning. If that seems unfair to the batsman then it would unfair to them who step out of crease and stumped by wicket keeper without warning or those who are dismissed run outs without any warning.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    It is against the spirit if no warning is given by the bowler. Otherwise it would turn into a farce, because batsmen generally don't look at the ball when it is being bowled, they time leaving the crease for when they expect the ball to be released. So if the bowler goes to bowl but holds the ball there's every chance the non striker will be out of his crease despite not trying to gain an unfair advantage like you're trying to make out.

Taking 10 wickets by tricking the non striker is clearly not in the spirit of the contest.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

It's perfectly fine imo.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

I didn't say it was an unfair advantage. Timing the leaving of your crease with when you think the ball is going to be bowled, as opposed to when you see it bowled, gives you an advantage over the fielding side. I don't really see why they should be honour-bound to allow that. If it's fine to do it after issuing a warning, then they might as well issue a universal warning at the start of every match and stop the batsmen from taking advantage of their wish to avoid the ten-run-outs scenario.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Fine if they keep backing up.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I didn't say it was an unfair advantage. Timing the leaving of your crease with when you think the ball is going to be bowled, as opposed to when you see it bowled, gives you an advantage over the fielding side. I don't really see why they should be honour-bound to allow that. If it's fine to do it after issuing a warning, then they might as well issue a universal warning at the start of every match and stop the batsmen from taking advantage of their wish to avoid the ten-run-outs scenario.
    Well you obviously don't know what the spirit of cricket is. It's about ensuring a good clean game of cricket where the team with the best cricket skills wins the contest.

When a batsman tries to time leaving the crease he is doing so in good faith, i.e. he does so under the assumption the bowler is going to release the ball like he should in cricket. He is not trying to illegally exit his crease. A skill of cricket is not acting. Going up and pretending to deliver the ball but holding it is not a skill associated with the game, so it should not be rewarded. If the bowler thinks the batsman is trying to gain an unfair advantage, warn him at the time, then all bets are off. Until then, he is given the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    It is against the spirit if no warning is given by the bowler. Otherwise it would turn into a farce, because batsmen generally don't look at the ball when it is being bowled, they time leaving the crease for when they expect the ball to be released. So if the bowler goes to bowl but holds the ball there's every chance the non striker will be out of his crease despite not trying to gain an unfair advantage like you're trying to make out.

Taking 10 wickets by tricking the non striker is clearly not in the spirit of the contest.
    Agree. In this instance though he actually was warned.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Agree. In this instance though he actually was warned.
    Yeah wasn't commenting on this specific issue, just as a general concept.

I didn't watch the particular match but was Kartik actually dummying the batsman? If the bowler is actively looking to find a case where the batsman is overstepping just to be a **** then obviously it's wrong, but if the batsman is obviously getting a headstart and the bowler notices this then I have no qualms with Mankading.

Screw the late post. I think I made my standpoint on when it is ok and when it isn't clear, though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah Uppercut, you obviously don't understand the spirit of cricket. Only possible reason for an independently thought out opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I know, it's just as well benchy's around to tell me why I hold all of my opinions. Enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I know, it's just as well benchy's around to tell me why I hold all of my opinions. Enlightening.
    You're allowed to hold an opinion. But I'm allowed to point out that you're wrong.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information