• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does this have to mean his career is over? Use dropping him from this game as a sanction then move the **** on.

uvelocity

International Coach
So if I'm having a drink after work, and send a text to a guy from another company talking about how big a **** the guy in the cubicle next to me is, should I immediately be fired?

Of all the criticisms of Pietersen, I think sending personal texts to friends (as stupid as it is, in his case), isn't the biggest issue.
you're playing it down. I hate analogies, and nobody has released the texts publicly. But lets say it's a whinge saying that Strauss and Flower are right ****s and he's not getting a go, and those ecb toffs are ****ed for not letting him play the whole ipl, that's a hanging offence in my book.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Totally agreed here, especially as it was described as 'friendly banter', so it's hardly like it was anything that was offensive
wait, he's playing for a country that's always had reservation over his "allegiance", and he goes ahead sending texts to players from a country that he "deserted"? A week before a crucial Test against that same country? And the texts are mocking towards his current captain? That is borderline seditious, as exaggerated as it might seem

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not really sending texts to friends either is it, the saffies clearly don't like him, or else they wouldn't have passed the info on.

Spark

Global Moderator
Apparently he suggested that Steyn could get Strauss easily, and he called Flower a "schoolmaster" and "Mr. Rules" but otherwise didn't mention him.

Andre

International Regular
Can't help but think that England have cut off their nose to spite their face here. Sure, he's done something pretty dumb with the texts - he's not the first bloke (nor champion cricketer, for that matter).

However, it's not unfair for him to have thought they wouldn't find the media as they have - doesn't exactly paint whoever has leaked it in the greatest light either.

Going in to their most important Test for a few years though England have significantly - very significantly - weakened themselved in order for captain/coach to prove a point. I don't think it reflects on either of them all that well that things got to this point to be honest - they've clearly not managed the situation all that well. If they were terrific man managers, this would have been sorted a good few months ago.

Really don't think anyone has won here after all - but England are so much weaker for leaving him out. Think they've taken things a touch too far.

PS: No slight on Jonny Bairstow either who looks a terrific talent. But he's no KP yet.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't help but think that England have cut off their nose to spite their face here. Sure, he's done something pretty dumb with the texts - he's not the first bloke (nor champion cricketer, for that matter).

However, it's not unfair for him to have thought they wouldn't find the media as they have - doesn't exactly paint whoever has leaked it in the greatest light either.

Going in to their most important Test for a few years though England have significantly - very significantly - weakened themselved in order for captain/coach to prove a point. I don't think it reflects on either of them all that well that things got to this point to be honest - they've clearly not managed the situation all that well. If they were terrific man managers, this would have been sorted a good few months ago.

Really don't think anyone has won here after all - but England are so much weaker for leaving him out. Think they've taken things a touch too far.

PS: No slight on Jonny Bairstow either who looks a terrific talent. But he's no KP yet.
Tbf even the best man managers in the world would struggle with someone who changed his mind every five minutes and repeatedly broke the rules.

Having watched Pietersen's youtube video again this morning, it really strikes me that this is a guy who's realised he's made a massive balls up, and was desperately making a last-ditch attempt to save his hide. It's just embarrassing really.

In any case, debating whether or not texting is crime is to miss the point imo. The way he's behaved has surely created divisions in the team, and probably quite a bit of resentment towards him. The last thing you want going into a crucial test is a terrible atmosphere amongst the team, even if it does come at the expense of leaving out your best player.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The one thing I'll say is that none of us have to share a dressing room and go on tour with KP. As cricket fans we enjoy the way he bats and marvel at his skill and exuberance. But we don't have to put up with the day to day being a ****/drama queen that KP obviously is. That wears people down and eventually like all the other places he's played at people eventually can no longer put up with it.

And there are specific issues with the management from the past and present so it's not just other players forcing KP out.

And England have done fine when KP hasn't played during his career.

ps. I wonder if KP turns out for Surrey this week

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain

Don't think there's any doubt England are significantly weakened by the absence of Pietersen, even more so when he is one of the few players capable at scoring at a high enough strike rate as to allow ourselves ample time to try and bowl SA out twice in a must win game.

However, I do think we've only weakened ourselves in the short-term, think the long-term benefits will far outweigh what would have happened had England allowed KP (or any other players that may begin to think in this fashion) to continue in this manner.

burr

State Vice-Captain
This wasn't about the texts at all in the end. It was about Pietersen thinking he could pick and choose when and where to represent his country; forgetting he needs England and the opportunity to perform at the highest level far more than England needs him. Do you think he will be as big a catch for the IPL and be able to maintain his brilliance in the IPL without the label of international cricketer next to his name and the opportunities that label affords him. Of course not. England have 100% done the right thing - forgoing short-term gain for long-term benefits. Well done ECB.

Spark

Global Moderator
This wasn't about the texts at all in the end. It was about Pietersen thinking he could pick and choose when and where to represent his country; forgetting he needs England and the opportunity to perform at the highest level far more than England needs him. Do you think he will be as big a catch for the IPL and be able to maintain his brilliance in the IPL without the label of international cricketer next to his name and the opportunities that label affords him. Of course not. England have 100% done the right thing - forgoing short-term gain for long-term benefits. Well done ECB.
Err what? This is like the opposite of what happened. It's patently obvious that it's the texts that killed him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Err what? This is like the opposite of what happened. It's patently obvious that it's the texts that killed him.
I think it's the straw really, I thought the video was a good thing, but if the ECB asked him not to release it, then it makes you think he knew he was being dropped, and it was a PR exercise.

I agree with Woodster, time to move on, hopefully it'll make us stronger in the long run.

Jacknife

International Captain
I don't care about the texts. I don't care about what he has to say and I don't care who he said it to. I care not a jot about Andrew Strauss' hurt feelings and I don't especially don't give a flying **** about why KP did any of it.

I'm a selfish **** and I care about the actual cricket. I want to see KP play and I want to punch a wall.
About sums it all up for me.