• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes to a Milne type player
No to Adam as he bowls a light ball.

He is a 150Ks bowler than hits the bat like 125ks.
lol Cane, only you could twist the 'heavyball' meme around to have a 150 click bowler bowl 125 ;). I can assure you a tail-end batsman wouldn't think it feels like 125kms.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
lol Cane, only you could twist the 'heavyball' meme around to have a 150 click bowler bowl 125 ;). I can assure you a tail-end batsman wouldn't think it feels like 125kms.
Faulkner had no issues depositing him in the stands.

Zinzan

Nah with Wagner in the team, I think we've got the tools to bulldoze through lower order lineups. And in fact in ODI's Milne has frequently been toned by the tailenders because he's not really a dig-it-in sort of quick.

Not saying that Milne isn't worth a go at some point, but he really needs to dominate a season of FC cricket (or at the very least an NZA tour) first.

The absence of swing has of course been very noticeable. A big part of it is the blazing hot weather this summer. We really need the world to get it's **** together on climate change or our home advantage is going to evaporate along with most of the 3rd world's fresh water supplies.

And Boult and Southee's respective injuries have absolutely contributed too. I think it's still a bit silly suggesting dropping either at this stage, since Henry was definitely the closest to knocking Southee off his perch and ended up taking 0/100 in ideal conditions in this game (even if I think he bowled quite well while doing it).
Lol, nobody said Milne should play tomorrow and nobody said Southee and Boult should be dropped.

Don''t read the extreme of every post.

What was said was it would be nice to think there may be a day in which Milne body might hold up to play 5 day cricket and that Southee may not be a non-negotiable lock-in as the opener bowler without some consideration in the future.

It's a very black and white world with you sometimes isn't it banhz :p Missing the grey.

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain
big part of it is the blazing hot weather this summer. We really need the world to get it's **** together on climate change or our home advantage is going to evaporate along with most of the 3rd world's fresh water supplies.
I think the species being destroyed fairly soon is more of a worry than home advantage in cricket games.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Which is why John Hastings straight drove him for four runs, and only got out because we brought on spin.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, nobody said Milne should play tomorrow and nobody said Southee and Boult should be dropped.

Don''t read the extreme of every post.

What was said was it would be nice to think there may be a day in which Milne body might hold up to play 5 day cricket and that Southee may not be a non-negotiable lock-in as the opener bowler without some consideration in the future.

It's a very black and white world with you sometimes isn't it banhz :p Missing the grey.
Well you did say last page that you thought a spell would be good for Southee. Not really sure what there is to misinterpret about that.

Anyway, I tend to prefer when Southee is a non-negotiable lock on the team because he's taking 5 wickets a game at an average of 24.

Zinzan

Well you did say last page that you thought a spell would be good for Southee. Not really sure what there is to misinterpret about that.
Not quite, but close, I said it worked last time and a spell might not be the worst thing. And it was absolutely true that he came back in the best nick of his life.

Anyway, I tend to prefer when Southee is a non-negotiable lock on the team because he's taking 5 wickets a game at an average of 24.
Sorry source of those numbers? He's average 40 in the last 12 months in conditions that have seen just one draw IIRC.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I still say Southee has performed better than Boult with the ball through the entire summer. Boult has been the real disappointment because with Southee, he's always been a bit hot and cold. Bracewell too, it was disappointing that we kept going back to him without questioning that in the five or so tests he played this year without any real success, maybe he wasn't as good as what he looked to the selectors.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My take on Tim is that he looked ginger in his run up all test which indicated his foot isn't right. Combine that with a ball that wasn't swinging (blame Kookaburra in all seriousness). Hopefully he comes up better next time.

I am in a minority but I thought he looked better than Henry.

Last edited:

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
My take on Tim is that he looked ginger in his run up all test which indicated his foot isn't right. Combine that with a ball that wasn't swinging (blame Kookaburra in all seriousness). Hopefully he comes up better next time.

No, I agree with this. I think Henry was really disappointing and I don't get what people saw in him yesterday when they said he was the pick of the bowlers.

Zinzan

My take on Tim is that he looked ginger in his run up all test which indicated his foot isn't right. Combine that with a ball that wasn't swinging (blame Kookaburra in all seriousness). Hopefully he comes out better.

Minority I'm guessing, the consensus seemed to be that Henry looked the most dangerous bowler yesterday even if he did spray it around, certainly looked most likely to get a nick.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good man Athers, was anticipating a scrap with you regarding that comment.
I don't think Southee bowled that badly in Australia but have been disappointed with his efforts in NZ. Sure there hasn't been the swing he really relies on but he's lost the ability to work away in the channel.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite, but close, I said it worked last time and a spell might not be the worst thing. And it was absolutely true that he came back in the best nick of his life.

Sorry source of those numbers? He's average 40 in the last 12 months in conditions that have seen just one draw IIRC.
So...yeah you're saying that you think he should be dropped - if only to send him a message. I disagree, but fair enough.

I wasn't really saying anything with the second half of my post, other than that I want him back to his best - where no matter how deep the bowling talent pool in NZ is he's an automatic lock because of how ****ing awesome he is.

Zinzan

So...yeah you're saying that you think he should be dropped - if only to send him a message. I disagree, but fair enough.
Well yeah, more a message/reminder that's he doesn't just have to turn up. That could be achieved without dropping him too, just a quiet word in the ear.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Well yeah, more a message/reminder that's he doesn't just have to turn up. That could be achieved without dropping him too, just a quiet word in the ear.
I think take the ball off him in this next innings and give it to Henry and Wagner instead. That will send enough of a message to both Boult and Southee who to be fair do now have six months away from test cricket to rebuild.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No, I agree with this. I think Henry was really disappointing and I don't get what people saw in him yesterday when they said he was the pick of the bowlers.
If I try really really really really (never seen 4 really's used in a row before) hard to see it from their point of view then I can make the following comments:

1) Henry extracted more seam movement. And the reason he did this is that he is imparting a different type of spin when he releases the ball than Southee does. Tim is looking for swing and not seam. Henry is trying for seam and hence gets more of it. Sometimes Henry did a ball on the 8th channel line and seamed away. It was never going to take a wicket because it was so wide but it looked promising because there was movement.

2) Tim seemed to have bemusing strategies at times. He would beat the bat and then follow up with nothing deliveries for the rest of the over or sometimes even grow impatient and try something different to what was working for him.

Minority I'm guessing, the consensus seemed to be that Henry looked the most dangerous bowler yesterday even if he did spray it around, certainly looked most likely to get a nick.
He indeed did spray it around. As badly as Tim bowled - his groupings were tighter and Henry genuinely at times seemed to have stage fright to be in front of a big crowd. For whatever the reason his lenghts were exceedingly inconsistent.