• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I don't feel gloomy. Although probably helps that I haven't seen any of the ODI games.

Next world cup isn't in Asia. McClenaghan, Southee, Mills, decent ODI attack for Australasian conditions. Plus Neesham, plus spinner.
Batting should be ok.

Although I do wonder sometimes at the team balance in the match day XIs that they pick. I reckon the ODI cattle is there but selections and tactics maybe not so much.

It's only ODIs anyway.

I reckon things are on the up. Plus Kippax's has successfully frightened me with the Bradburn bogeyman to start backing Hesson.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't feel gloomy. Although probably helps that I haven't seen any of the ODI games.

Next world cup isn't in Asia. McClenaghan, Southee, Mills, decent ODI attack for Australasian conditions. Plus Neesham, plus spinner.
Batting should be ok.
It's a good attack but it won't do anything until the senior batsmen take responsibility and bat up the order.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It's a good attack but it won't do anything until the senior batsmen take responsibility and bat up the order.
Yeah but that's just a frustration with playing XI balance exposed by the absence of senior top order ODI batsmen, not a doom or a gloom.

Unless of course you put it in the coach/captain are incompetent bucket ...... Then it looks a bit more gloomy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Unless of course you put it in the coach/captain are incompetent bucket ...... Then it looks a bit more gloomy.
I do, to be honest.
Ever since Hesson took over Taylor and McCullum have both been encouraged to bat further down in the middle order. The emergence of Guptill and Williamson as excellent top order ODI batsmen was rather fortunate and has hid this, but it should always be senior batsmen taking that responsibility.

If Ryder returns and also bats in the middle order it will be ridiculous. One gets the feeling he will open, but only because the middle order is already so seriously clogged with senior batsmen.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I reckon things are on the up. Plus Kippax's has successfully frightened me with the Bradburn bogeyman to start backing Hesson.
I don't have anything against Bradburn as a person or a coach, but he does need to get out of NZ and coach overseas for a while. At the moment he is very much part of the parochial closed-shop that is cricket in NZ - and it would be good for him to broaden his horizons. I hope whoever does replace Hesson has experience in another country (not Kenya) and some distance from the current players and administrators here (so not Jamie "Booming It" Siddons). Any genuine thoughts on who might be interested and who could also fit the bill?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't have anything against Bradburn as a person or a coach, but he does need to get out of NZ and coach overseas for a while. At the moment he is very much part of the parochial closed-shop that is cricket in NZ - and it would be good for him to broaden his horizons. I hope whoever does replace Hesson has experience in another country (not Kenya) and some distance from the current players and administrators here (so not Jamie "Booming It" Siddons). Any genuine thoughts on who might be interested and who could also fit the bill?
I really think Fleming's not far away. He's had some quality experience in the IPL, and he was talked about as a contender for the SL job, so I think he's ready.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have anything against Bradburn as a person or a coach, but he does need to get out of NZ and coach overseas for a while. At the moment he is very much part of the parochial closed-shop that is cricket in NZ - and it would be good for him to broaden his horizons.
All jokey Kippax conspiracies aside, why on earth anyone would rate a New Zealand coach who's consistently undersold the importance of batting technique, sought out dinky little workarounds with Yovich, Devcich etc. and congratulated himself for the avant-garde Moneyball savvy of it all, is utterly beyond me.

Binkley

U19 Captain
All jokey Kippax conspiracies aside, why on earth anyone would rate a New Zealand coach who's consistently undersold the importance of batting technique, sought out dinky little workarounds with Yovich, Devcich etc. and congratulated himself for the avant-garde Moneyball savvy of it all, is utterly beyond me.
Well, if my memory is correct - ND did win the Plunket Shield twice under him, and one-day competition a couple of times too. Yovich was never an opener, and Devcich is never going to be a classical opening batsman - but perhaps the alternatives were not there, and Bradburn was forced to use them? Who is opening for ND against Auckland? Flynn and Brad Wilson. Neither of them seem particularly suited to the opening role either.

I really don't think Bradburn is ready to coach the national team, and I really, really think he is far too close to the current ND players to have any of the objectivity that is needed in that role, but I don't think he should be written off completely at this point either. I would hate for him to become coach tomorrow - but give him five years coaching successfully in England or Australia and I wouldn't complain if he were appointed to head the national side.

Anyway, Fleming seems to be the only real NZ-born coaching option at the moment, and I am not convinced he would even be interested in taking on the role. There must be someone who is a better bet than Hesson right now though. Surely? Surely?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I really think Fleming's not far away. He's had some quality experience in the IPL, and he was talked about as a contender for the SL job, so I think he's ready.
He doesn't want the job.

6 weeks of coaching CSK is a great gig and lets him pursue his real interests, which I believe have nothing to do with cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is the meat export business Fleming's main thing now? Not really sure.

Did see this the other day, going well apparently -

Flem274*

123/5
Chalk up another clean sweep from Bangladesh to our woes, and one incoming from Sri Lanka.

When we reach 50 pages by the end of the summer we should send NZC the link to this thread.