• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Big Bash League 2012/13

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think 8 teams is fine for now. Do the TV deal (4-5 years?), re-asses in 2016 or something. We should probably be focused on getting the most out of the 'other' Sydney and Melbourne teams from now til then, rather than Canberra, Newcastle etc

benchmark00

Nah Darwin,Canberra have their own players plus ex players like May,Carters,Dawson,Behrendorf etc.
Shane Mcdermott Darwin formerly Tassie,now Redbacks assistant coach.
Canberra alone clearly wouldn't be able to compete against the teams in the Big Bash, but if you take the best of them plus the best of the other states out of the metro areas you'd get a team that would be very competitive.

It obviously will never happen because these guys have real jobs that most of them couldn't leave for a number of weeks just to play cricket.

Jager

International Debutant
Would love to see a NZ team to be honest, but I don't know anything at all about NZ's domestic T20 circuit - I am going to assume that it would be impossible though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes they would be. They're made up of a number of players who could get state cricket contracts if they tried but have chosen other paths. And the idea would be that they're based in the country's capital, funnily enough.
It fails on two fronts:

It doesn't operate in the same manner as the rest of the tournament, where players move around and are chosen from a pool.

Secondly, I know from playing against these guys that what the depth in those teams isn't enough for it to be competitive. There's guys like May from Queensland who are exactly what you describe, and then others who have been to Grade cricket and failed. Others have been chasing the cricket dream, playing for the ACT, and it hasn't turned out for them.

benchmark00

So out of last years Aust Country team, which players do you think wouldn't make the cut? Each of the players in that squad would make any squad in the big bash given some of the guys running around last season. Alot of these guys were successful grade players but moved away and have improved their game if anything. It's such a narrow minded view.

Your point about not running the same as the other franchises - who cares? Totally irrelevant point.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How is it irrelevant? The whole system for the Big Bash has been set up for a very specific reason for marketing. If they were to launch another two teams, it'd be occurring in a very similar manner.

I don't know much at all about the guys from last year's championships. They might've gotten games for the Thunder, that'd be about it - guys don't get games as batsmen unless they have been identified at youth level in Australian cricket. Bowlers I'm a bit more open to, but look at Feldman, he's been picked in the Australian country side a couple of times, and no-one wants him in their team in 2011/12 or this year. Then again, Harwood is proof of what happens in the country, but it also speaks largely about how the state system will do whatever it can to get players it thinks can be a genuine asset to the state to come and play.

I think you underrate the state bodies' ability to unearth the players from the country that they think are good enough.

Last edited:

benchmark00

How is it irrelevant? The whole system for the Big Bash has been set up for a very specific reason for marketing. If they were to launch another two teams, it'd be occurring in a very similar manner.

I don't know much at all about the guys from last year's championships. They might've gotten games for the Thunder, that'd be about it - guys don't get games as batsmen unless they have been identified at youth level in Australian cricket. Bowlers I'm a bit more open to, but look at Feldman, he's been picked in the Australian country side a couple of times, and no-one wants him in their team in 2011/12 or this year. Then again, Harwood is proof of what happens in the country, but it also speaks largely about how the state system will do whatever it can to get players it thinks can be a genuine asset to the state to come and play.

I think you underrate the state bodies' ability to unearth the players from the country that they think are good enough.
I can tell you from personal experience that each and every one of the players that played in the national country champs last year are better than Boomer, so that's about 90 or so players from the country better than a guy who played for a team not the Thunder.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I can tell you from personal experience that each and every one of the players that played in the national country champs last year are better than Boomer, so that's about 90 or so players from the country better than a guy who played for a team not the Thunder.
If any of them were related to the captain of a Big Bash side, then they might've been a chance of getting a game for the Renegades.

I see he's gone to play at Melbourne with his brother this year, too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Likely Starters

1. R. Quiney
2. B. Hodge
3. L. Wright
4. C. White
5. D. Hussey
6. G. Maxwell
7. M. Wade+
8. J. Faulkner
9. C. McKay
10. J. Hastings

Other Players
C. Rose
J. Pattinson
J. Bird
P. Handscomb

Lets be honest, we all know there's a fair chance SKW will be sliding into 11. The marketers might insist otherwise, but I don't think that Pattinson is in the best three quicks for this team in this form of the game. Be interesting to see if they look outside of Handscomb as back-up keeper to Wade, as he might not be available for all the games.

The batting order might be played around with a fair bit, but in Hussey, Hodge, Maxwell and Wright they do have guys who can chip in overs as the fifth bowler - expect Duss and Maxwell to do most of it.
You can chuck in Malinga and Warne into that side.

Malinga also playing a game of Premier Cricket in Melbourne. Luckily misses the Magpies by one round.

Spikey

oh we didn't post about it - Prior and Guptill to be the Thunder fill ins. They'll need to get another spinner in with that last spot they've got free imo. but pews' boi turner is about the only option.....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
oh we didn't post about it - Prior and Guptill to be the Thunder fill ins. They'll need to get another spinner in with that last spot they've got free imo. but pews' boi turner is about the only option.....
If they sign Turner I am definitely converting. Already feel guilty about not supporting them as it is.