• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
New pitch tomorrow (same field) and every one-day game moved back a day. And three-day match turned into a four, which it always should have been. That must've been Kim Lawnbowls' idea (to make it three, I mean).

And Otago signed ten Doeschate for HRV Cup, good pick up. Dunno how Canterbury missed out on him, seeing he played for them in 2010-11 and would know a lot of the players/staff there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not exactly a great start today - batting first and 139/7. Only decent runs from Ellis and De Boorder!

Haven't been able to watch much of it til now, though just saw Wagner play some big swishes :laugh:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Caught up a bit at lunchtime...a low percentage and half-hearted sweep from Latham to make it 51/5. de Grandhomme boofing one to mid-off at 54/6. Really disheartening lack of game sense with no light behind the eyes, the obligatory "canny, less natural talent guy" Ellis coming in and doing his thing. De Boorder moving all around the crease and taking guard on about a sixth stump at times, improvising his way to riches.

Presume that high-scoring Aces practice match Crocker mentioned was an afternoon T20. Should really make the FC matches 12pm starts with two 2.5 hour sessions.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Heh CDG "that's the way he plays".

Annoyed none of Flynn, Rutherford or Brownlie scored runs.
Unfortunately, yes it is. He and Latham should be doing shuttles this evening. Flynn got a beauty, Rutherford got one that popped out of the ordinary and I didn't see Brownlie's. But it showed that with a bit of application they could have got 200. De Boorder=gun, get him in the top side.

As for Mitch's 49th over meltdown....

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't Neil Broom in the squad? Why are they playing CDG at number six when he's an option?
Well, CDG averaged 44 (125 SR) in the Ford Trophy last season, 70 in PS, the pie loves that ****. Broom had a very poor PS and FT.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unfortunately, yes it is.
As I've said before, I have found de Grandhomme's entire career in New Zealand to be rather odd. I was a very keen follower of Zimbabwean cricket around the time of Colin's move and the perception of him as a youth cricketer was that of a genuine, classy top-4 batsman. He opened more often than not and very good things were said about his technique and application. He did very little bowling at this point although I was aware that he bowled "a little bit of medium pace" and yet when he turned up in the Auckland side at first he was there for his bowling as much as his batting. That's what I first found surprising, but even now that he's become known more as a batsman-who-bowls-sometimes, he's an Afridi-style lower middle order basher. He doesn't even bat in the top four at club level very often does he?

Do you know if he made a conscious decision to change his game at some point or was I just given bad info about what sort of player he was from the start?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Flynn got a beauty, Rutherford got one that popped out of the ordinary and I didn't see Brownlie's. But it showed that with a bit of application they could have got 200.
Ah ok, didn't see those. Did see Ellis's runout - how poor was that?!

De Boorder=gun, get him in the top side.
That innings was almost Van-Wyk-like :ph34r:. If De Boorder does stack up the runs this season he could make a decent case to be next in line ahead of Watling.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Boult and Wagner pretty unlucky not to have a wicket so far. Will be interested to see what McClenaghan looks like in comparison to those two.

edit: Hrmm first ball five wides

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McClenaghan looks a definite rung or three below Boult and Wagner. Wonder if he could gain a bit more pace through the crease... may be restricted by previous injuries.

Boult :wub: Just bowled a testing delivery to one of the India lefties (Menaria) who had absolutely no idea and edged to slip.

Blain

U19 Captain
Pace wise, how was Mitch? He always goes for runs but seems to get wickets. Looks like we have a chance here, the 5 bowler is the thing I'm worried about. CDC mixed with Worker I guess, will be interesting when they are brought on. Cant afford to drop the pressure or they will get a partnership underway.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, Ellis just bowled one that absolutely took off. Wicket has mostly been fairly true from what I've seen, though with some decent seam movement. Still laughing at the shot from Menaria to Boult - the shot of many a young subcontinent batsmen on first trip to NZ, who has been spooked by the bounce and seam movement.