Yeah, he needs to fix his run up.
Yeah, he needs to fix his run up.
Peter Trego, two wickets and 52 runs in the T20 comp this year. However, he is first in the overall MVP rankings for the county season. 2nd in four-dayers, 8th in 40-over, 140th in T20. Obviously backing that to change.
Nash would be a decent signing, he came out to Auckland to play club cricket and was fairly average, but played a very, very good knock in the T20 semi over there in a losing cause.
A non-England player like a Mascarenhas, a ten Doeschate etc will obviously be top of the list. Auckland have Vincent + Adams I presume...someone like a Sean Ervine might be a decent signing if sides are looking for all-rounders.
Vincent is name on the contracted domestic players list... Does this still make him an import? I do like Vincent, if he is still eligible, wouldn't be out of place in the NZ T20/one day squad.
Yep, you're entitled to contract overseas players if you so wish. Vincent is UK-qualified these days. Unless I'm mistaken - and I can't see how the situation would have changed from last year's HRV Cup where he was an import.
I see he hasnt played since the last NZ domestic season.. Might have moved back home.
Haha, yeah not what I was expecting!! Good on him.
OK, the posts about Peter Trego earlier now make some sense to me
Import tipped to 'do a job' for Central Districts | Stuff.co.nz
Import tipped to 'do a job' for Central Districts
The name Peter Trego drew mostly blank looks.
Somerset cricket fans will know him but some homework was required to get a handle on Central Districts' import for this summer's Twenty20 competition.
He's 31, six feet tall - short for an opening bowler - but has a reputation for being able to do most things on a cricket field.
Say what you like about him turning out in the Bangladesh and Zimbabwe Twenty20 competitions, but Trego was good for Somerset in the Champions League last year and scored a 60-ball century against South Africa in July.
Central Districts coach Alan Hunt wanted a player with experience to cover for the loss of his international trio of Ross Taylor, Jacob Oram and Doug Bracewell, and maybe even Adam Milne.
Theoretically he needed someone like Shane Watson or Jacques Kallis but with money always an issue, he came up with Trego.
"His name kept popping up as a guy who could do a job for us," Hunt said. "When he scores runs he gets them at a fair clip and he can bowl at the start and at the death. He is quite flexible."
Trego played at Middlesex and Kent before joining Somerset and Hunt said Oram had asked around about him in England and the feedback was positive.
Trego's career record is 5613 first-class runs at an average of 34.86 and 242 wickets at 36.59. Perhaps more relevantly, his Twenty20 statistics are 2070 runs at 23.25 and a strike rate of 120, and 60 wickets at 30.15 and 8.52 runs per over.
Central deserve a return on their import this season. Last summer they brought out Graham Napier and he broke down before the first game.
Trego's contract runs from the round two clash against Wellington in Napier on December 7 through to the final on January 20.
He misses the opening round on November 23 because Central felt it was a luxury to have him sitting around for two weeks. He will play two Plunket Shield matches in mid-December.
back onto the subject of the running of Wellington Cricket
Tough line taken to turn Cricket Wellington around... | Stuff.co.nz
Tough line to turn Cricket Wellington around
Cricket Wellington announced a $142,000 loss to club chairmen last night, more than double that of the previous financial year.
Chief executive Peter Clinton and board chairman Peter Garty fronted their stakeholders at Westpac Stadium, blaming the deficit on lack of sponsorship in tough financial times, and overly optimistic forecasting for hospitality revenue during the South Africa tour. It continues a worrying trend of financial losses which increased from $17,000 in 2009-10 to $69,000 in 2010-11.
But Garty, Wellington City Council's chief financial officer, vowed it would not continue. Clinton had trimmed $100,000 from this year's budget and Garty predicted it would translate into a "slight surplus" next year, citing how the Wellington Rugby Union had turned around its finances. It would take CW two years to return to a sound cash position, Garty said.
"We intend to keep on that budget every month and just about every week. We think we're going to turn it around next year and the following year."
Garty and board member Steven Fyfe, formerly deputy chief executive for ANZ National Bank, double checked Clinton's budget and were satisfied with what they saw.
Changes would involve getting cash up front and confirming 70 to 80 per cent of CW's revenue before December. That includes securing deposits and confirmation from tour groups before England's visit in February-March. Up to seven part-time CW jobs were absorbed into two fulltime roles, and marketing manager Warrick Dent, who resigned to work for the council, won't be replaced.
The optimistic hospitality forecasts for the three Wellington internationals against South Africa were made in the third quarter of last year, before Clinton succeeded Gavin Larsen.
It meant the bar was set very low for this year. “We've set an extremely conservative budget in terms of hospitality, sponsorship and gate," Clinton said.
CW and the five other associations will receive a significant sum from Sky TV which has bought the rights to domestic cricket. The Firebirds' first two Twenty20 matches are under lights at the stadium on November 9 and 16. Then the Basin hosts three more Twenty20 matches, the first on Boxing Day.
I see Tuffey has announced his retirement, leaving a space for someone in the Auckland contract list. He was a very solid player Tuffey, really nice action and good head on him. Sadly not quick enough in his later years to trouble at international level.
Although they have lost one of thier experienced players, in a talent pool the size of Auckland, hopefully it gives a young gun a spot.
Absolutely no idea who will pick it up now...it should have been Sodhi getting the one before, but ND had more faith.
Millmow is such a fool. Just because he hasn't heard of Peter Trego, we all haven't? I mean the bloke is only No.1 in the UK MVP standings this summer. He rattles off first class stats then 'perhaps more relevant' are his T20 stats? Seeing he's playing a full HRV campaign and 2 Plunkets, that stands to reason, big John. Then we get meaningless career T20 stats, when ones more pertinent like the fact he scored 52 runs and took 2 wickets this summer.
Also, Graham Napier did well to play a full part in the first game last season after breaking down before it.
More of the same from the Dom Post's resident fool.
Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
Rejecting 'selection deontology' since Mar '15
Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS
Trego I really hope he guns it.
Auckland's contracted players:
Dean Bartlett, Michael Bates, Lockie Ferguson, Colin de Grandhomme, Gareth Hopkins, Anaru Kitchen, Bruce Martin, Mitchell McClenaghan, Tim McIntosh, Colin Munro, Bhupinder Singh, Daryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent, Reece Young
The following are seam bowlers;
Kyle Mills, and Chris Martin are on central contracts but may be available for a decent amount of the season.
Is Andre Adams coming back as an 'overseas' pro again?
So, IMO, definitely room to promote a promising youngster rather than recruit an experienced overseas pro, or target an experienced player from another province.
I had a look at the stats for Auckland 'A' from the A tournament last season, and their top bowlers were McClenaghan, Bartlett and Fergusson - who are now contracted anyway.
So looked at the U18 tournament, and S Hicks was their top bowler, but U18 means they were 17? so too young really. (What does he bowl btw?)
So looked at the previous years U18 tournament; and Quinn, Sodhi and Solia were Auckland's top bowlers. Saw Quinn at the recent U19 world cup, Sodhi is gone to ND, what is Solia like?
BTW, really should have an U19 tournament rather than U18. If players are good enough at 17 they will still play in it, maybe 2 to 3 times.
and another BTW. Lachlan should be shortened to Lachie, not Lockie ..
Last edited by Immenso; 13-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)