• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

Blocky

Banned
The whole "But Tendulkar didn't play Bangladesh..."

No, but Tendulkar did play a NZ side featuring Richard De Groen and Murphy S'ua.... and Tendulkar did play an Australian side featuring Brendan Julian and Scott Muller. And Tendulkar did play a Zimbabwean side...

Every era has its weak bowlers and its great bowlers. Sangakkara since giving up the gloves and batting #3 for his side has average 40+ against every nation except South Africa, where he averages 37. The idea that "he struggles against great sides" makes me laugh, because Pakistan have been knocking teams over in the sub continent for the last few years.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Every era has its weak bowlers and its great bowlers.
Some eras had more great bowlers playing in an average match. 19 batsmen averaging 50+ in 00s loudly tells us that something is vastly different in 00s. We had only 4-5 batsmen scoring at 50+ rate in earlier two decades.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He doesn't really have any blemishes on his record except against SA in SA (if you consider 35 a blemish).

For some reason I thought his average was about 200 in SL and 25 in a lot of places away from home.

Apparently I was wrong. Very wrong.

TBH I've only ever watched him vs Aust, and he's always done well.

****, he's pretty consistent isn't he?

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't we finish this debate + in depth statistical analysis already? Why are all these old numbers and points being re-hashed? Can no one read the previous pages in this thread?

FFS just go back some 100 posts or so and you'll see the whole debate begin, evolve and end at a very sound and logical conclusion. Unless there is something new to add I don't get what you are trying to prove.

Blocky

Banned
Yeah, go back and re-read the pages where people said he hadn't scored runs in England... only to watch him then score runs in England. Go back and re-read where they said he struggled against world class spin, only to see him play against the Ajmal's of the world and handle him with ease... go back and re-read the pages where apparently he'd struggle to handle pace, only to watch him face South Africa and do well.

That's the point you don't seem to get, sure, if he hadn't continued to improve and hand you your arses around the idea that "He's just bullying Bangladesh, that's all" then you could call back those pages, but the reality is he's scoring in all conditions against all nations with a monotonous consistency and has done so ever since he gave away the gloves.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Didn't we finish this debate + in depth statistical analysis already? Why are all these old numbers and points being re-hashed? Can no one read the previous pages in this thread?

FFS just go back some 100 posts or so and you'll see the whole debate begin, evolve and end at a very sound and logical conclusion. Unless there is something new to add I don't get what you are trying to prove.
I was posting a reflection on something I didn't realise. That his overall record is far more consistent than I thought.

That anger is deep seated though, innit?

watson

Banned
Most circular thread ever.

Which pretty much sums up the whole of Cricketweb's Cricket Chat tbh.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's like the chucking thread, every now and again some asshole comes by and gives the same 2 cents other ****s gave about 5 pages ago before they were put in their place, unless you're Blocky, and certain statistics are worth repeating every single time Sanga passes 50.

watson

Banned
It's like the chucking thread, every now and again some asshole comes by and gives the same 2 cents other ****s gave about 5 pages ago before they were put in their place, unless you're Blocky, and certain statistics are worth repeating every single time Sanga passes 50.
On-the-other-hand, the prevailing dogma always deserves to be challenged by heretics as a matter of principle.

Blocky

Banned
Maximas is just having a sook. The fact is that I called it at 50 and he's gone on and made it a 150 - probably a 200, taken his average past 59 and done so against one of the better off spinners the world has seen in Ajmal. But let's write it off right? Because we should always over-state the achievements of Tendulkar, Dravid, Lara and Ponting and understate those of Sanga.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Because we should always over-state the achievements of Tendulkar, Dravid, Lara and Ponting and understate those of Sanga.
Great player, but definitely not on that level. Too many holes in his record in comparison. (averages in the 30s against India, S.Africa, W.Indies away; and Aus, Eng, NZ at home).

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Maximas is just having a sook. The fact is that I called it at 50 and he's gone on and made it a 150 - probably a 200, taken his average past 59 and done so against one of the better off spinners the world has seen in Ajmal. But let's write it off right? Because we should always over-state the achievements of Tendulkar, Dravid, Lara and Ponting and understate those of Sanga.
Yeah, here's me crying when Sanga succeeds, me and the rest of the haterz.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Maximas is a known Sanga hater isn't he? :laugh:
What's next? Maximas despises Herath? Jono is a Kohli hater?