• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
I should've mentioned that it was for a significant # of matches - I assumed that my statsguru queries would have made that clear though. 10 tests seemed fair but yes 7-8 is probably a big enough sample size as well.. Sanga 80+ is over 19 tests though which is the point I was trying to make.

Singh Is King

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's clear that Sanga has a higher frequency of getting that big high impact score. Even considering the opposition quality - if Sanga played the same % of matches vs different teams as Tendulkar (with vs India % replacing vs SL %) and the same # of innings as Tendulkar, he would have 16 big hundreds (175+ by your definition) with 9 vs "quality" opposition and 7 vs "weaker" opposition. This compares to 13 total for Tendulkar. So even when the opposition and # of innings factors are neutralized, Sanga has a higher propensity to get a big score.

Those numbers are pretty meaningless considering how India won only 18 matches (of 73 - 25%) when Sachin played in the 90s and 54 matches (of 127 - 43%) in the 2000s . He actually had the same frequency of getting a hundred in wins in the 90s as the 2000s (22%). Both India and SL were better Test teams in the 2000s, and Sachin made 9 of his 13 175+ scores in the 2000s.

That Sanga was the better Test match-winner is easy to see:
  • Sanga averaged 74 in wins compared to Tendulkar's 62
  • Sanga got 18 hundreds in 50 wins (36%) compared to Tendulkars 20 hundreds in 72 wins (28%)
  • Sanga's hundred average in wins is 257 compared to Tendulkar's 224 (this includes not outs)
  • SL has won 40% of Sanga's matches compared to 36% Ind wins for Tendulkar (Murali's influence is neutralized by the presence of Kumble and Harbhajan, and India clearly had the better batting line-up)
This is the worst post I have ever seen in any forum in the world.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
While I don't particularly like the whole idea of breaking stats into 5 year groups for Sanga like simonlee did, it (along with many of the stats/points brought up by Jassy) did show that against high quality opposition (and in foreign conditions at times) Sanga has done well, but not exceedingly well as some of his contemporaries did. I don't think you can really deny that, Sanga has some ***y looking stats that can be twisted beautifully to lead Blocky away into fairyland thinking he's the best since Bradman, but other stats reveal a somewhat patchy record against good bowlers away from home. While his record in/against Pakistan is outstanding, (despite the fact that certain circumstances made it easier for him to achieve it) his record against Pakistan doesn't account for or somehow make up for his deficiencies elsewhere, similar to his career average, there is more to the story than the number.

The question is whether those ugly stats are really ugly enough for you, I'd argue Sanga is an ATG, he's as prolific a run-scorer as you'll get, he leads from the front and he has all the shots. I personally think his record away from home and against quality opposition overall is enough for an ATG with his record at home and against minnows and Pakistan, but after reading a lot of these posts I've changed my opinion from when I first encountered Jassy where I thought it was ludicrous to not consider him an ATG, I can understand that those who need their ATGs to be excellent away from home and consistently prolific against the best attacks as a blanket rule who argue he is not an ATG at this stage.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
While I don't particularly like the whole idea of breaking stats into 5 year groups for Sanga like simonlee did, it (along with many of the stats/points brought up by Jassy) did show that against high quality opposition (and in foreign conditions at times) Sanga has done well, but not exceedingly well as some of his contemporaries did. I don't think you can really deny that, Sanga has some ***y looking stats that can be twisted beautifully to lead Blocky away into fairyland thinking he's the best since Bradman, but other stats reveal a somewhat patchy record against good bowlers away from home. While his record in/against Pakistan is outstanding, (despite the fact that certain circumstances made it easier for him to achieve it) his record against Pakistan doesn't account for or somehow make up for his deficiencies elsewhere, similar to his career average, there is more to the story than the number.

The question is whether those ugly stats are really ugly enough for you, I'd argue Sanga is an ATG, he's as prolific a run-scorer as you'll get, he leads from the front and he has all the shots. I personally think his record away from home and against quality opposition overall is enough for an ATG with his record at home and against minnows and Pakistan, but after reading a lot of these posts I've changed my opinion from when I first encountered Jassy where I thought it was ludicrous to not consider him an ATG, I can understand that those who need their ATGs to be excellent away from home and consistently prolific against the best attacks as a blanket rule who argue he is not an ATG at this stage.
For me , I won't argue with anyone who considers him an ATG. I was only making a point that I will feel a lot more comfortable with Kallis and Dravid in my team due to having a better game for different conditions and also being more consistent against better bowling units. That's where all this discussion started and I had to dig up stats to convey why I had that impression. We miss all that when posters start talking about aggregate runs/tons/avg etc.

Sanga is likely to go down as legend for majority of fans even if not seen that way by all fans. We should also remember that SL didn't have great batsmen in their history. It's not easy to motivate kids to take up something without role models and support. Pakistan is full of left arm pacers recently due to Wasim. IK inspired many generations. In fact, if i am right then he was the first genuine fast bowler from Asia. Sachin/Gavaskar inspired the generations after them to take up batting. Donald inspired SA kids to bowl fast. SL had no one with that kind of stature in their history and I am sure, many kids in SL will be taking inspiration from Sanga in future.

Not saying that I will ignore performance when rating batsmen but just making a point here.

---------------------

It was a good post from you here. I will add one thing here. I have seen many fans taking a different way when it comes to ATG category. They ask one question. Would you hesitate to put a batsman or bowler in some ATG XI who will play against some other ATG XI 20 tests in 10 different conditions. Doesn't have to be the first ATG XI. It can be 2nd or even 3rd.

We are always going to have some hesitations for most players. Very few will be without any issues. Question is - How big your hesitation is for a specific player? Since it's subjective, different fans will have different degree of hesitation even for the same player. That's where subjectivity comes in play.

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
Yes great post from Maximas. Look, ATG and all that are subjective anyway. Someone would say an average of 40 plus in most countries is needed to go with tons everywhere and a stellar record, someone else might give weight to performances in/outside the subcontinent, others might ask why it is inherently more important for Sanga or Sehwag to do well vs England in a England as opposed to Pak in Pak etc etc. Personally I would have batsmen in tiers. For me away performances carry most weight, particularly inside/outside the SC depending on where the player is from, how and when the player got those runs(for example a 17 year old Tendulkar scoring a ton on his first tour to England is definitely more impressive than someone else who takes multiple tours to do the same(not a dig at Sanga I promise), completeness of record which I give a lot of value to etc etc.

Of course it is also subjective and there is no hard and fast rule as such. As I've mentioned before, Ponting's average in the SC would be below 40; but the reason I don't hold it against him is he gunned it in 2/3 countries and his only real issue was Harbhajan Singh. He did well vs Murali in SL and the Pakistani fast bowlers in UAE and Pak, so India is his only blemish. His record is magnificent everywhere else and he has multiple tons in most place. As a rule of the thumb, if you have 3 or 4 tons(preferably a couple of them at least being great ones) in a place then even a lowish average is fine. From memory I think Lara averages low 40s in Aus but he got four magnificent hundreds there vs some of the best attacks ever assembled on a cricket field and it is over such a large sample size that is easy to pass off even a lowish average(not that 40 whatever is bad by any stretch of the imagination mind)....especially if there are other countries where they have gunned it.

With Sanga, for me the issue statistically is that even in the places he has done well he hasn't played too much...which basically reiterates OS' point. Ignoring the stats side of it, I genuinely think Sanga is vulnerable in adverse conditions...(of every batsman is but Sanga is more vulnerable than a batsman with 10k runs should be IMO). He is too loose outside his off stump and he has never been a truly great player of pace IMO and funnily enough, I don't think he is very good on rank turners either...despite his outstanding record against Pak(Ajmal). I think someone a little earlier said what is massively telling that if you had a discussion about the best players vs pace and the best players vs spin, Sanga wouldn't be among the first names you think of in either category even considering just recent players. Aside from that he's got a disproportionate amount of tons and runs vs the attacks that have been the easiest to score off post 2000 and he has managed a solitary ton against a team like Australia!

I posted this earlier but posting it again :

Tier 1 : Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara
Tier 2 : Kallis, Dravid
Tier 3 : Sanga(close to tier 2 now), Inzamam, Sehwag, Younis Khan, Jayawardene etc.

In fact if you take a look at say, Younis Khan's record, you would be surprised at how similar that record is to Sanga's...even Inzy's for that matter if you remove minnows. Now if we want to call everyone with a great average 50 plus ATG that is fine by mine...everyone's criterion is different. You could say some are lower tier ATGs and others are the gold tier etc....for me only a select few are genuine ATGs. I think the term is thrown around far too loosely these days....but anyway to each his own. Fervently hope he tonks a couple of tons vs Pak. It is a travesty that Pak are number 3 in the rankings after dropping a test to Zimbabwe and despite not having won a series anywhere since Jan 2012!

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga has indeed always been a bit too loose outside off, particularly early in his innings. Interesting how you bring up the point about him being neither a truly great player of either pace or spin, his all-round ability as a batsman (as well as the fact that he possesses many gears that he has used effectively in a variety of conditions) is one of his great strengths in my view.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes great post from Maximas. Look, ATG and all that are subjective anyway. Someone would say an average of 40 plus in most countries is needed to go with tons everywhere and a stellar record, someone else might give weight to performances in/outside the subcontinent, others might ask why it is inherently more important for Sanga or Sehwag to do well vs England in a England as opposed to Pak in Pak etc etc. Personally I would have batsmen in tiers. For me away performances carry most weight, particularly inside/outside the SC depending on where the player is from, how and when the player got those runs(for example a 17 year old Tendulkar scoring a ton on his first tour to England is definitely more impressive than someone else who takes multiple tours to do the same(not a dig at Sanga I promise), completeness of record which I give a lot of value to etc etc.

Of course it is also subjective and there is no hard and fast rule as such. As I've mentioned before, Ponting's average in the SC would be below 40; but the reason I don't hold it against him is he gunned it in 2/3 countries and his only real issue was Harbhajan Singh. He did well vs Murali in SL and the Pakistani fast bowlers in UAE and Pak, so India is his only blemish. His record is magnificent everywhere else and he has multiple tons in most place. As a rule of the thumb, if you have 3 or 4 tons(preferably a couple of them at least being great ones) in a place then even a lowish average is fine. From memory I think Lara averages low 40s in Aus but he got four magnificent hundreds there vs some of the best attacks ever assembled on a cricket field and it is over such a large sample size that is easy to pass off even a lowish average(not that 40 whatever is bad by any stretch of the imagination mind)....especially if there are other countries where they have gunned it.

With Sanga, for me the issue statistically is that even in the places he has done well he hasn't played too much...which basically reiterates OS' point. Ignoring the stats side of it, I genuinely think Sanga is vulnerable in adverse conditions...(of every batsman is but Sanga is more vulnerable than a batsman with 10k runs should be IMO). He is too loose outside his off stump and he has never been a truly great player of pace IMO and funnily enough, I don't think he is very good on rank turners either...despite his outstanding record against Pak(Ajmal). I think someone a little earlier said what is massively telling that if you had a discussion about the best players vs pace and the best players vs spin, Sanga wouldn't be among the first names you think of in either category even considering just recent players. Aside from that he's got a disproportionate amount of tons and runs vs the attacks that have been the easiest to score off post 2000 and he has managed a solitary ton against a team like Australia!

I posted this earlier but posting it again :

Tier 1 : Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara
Tier 2 : Kallis, Dravid
Tier 3 : Sanga(close to tier 2 now), Inzamam, Sehwag, Younis Khan, Jayawardene etc.

In fact if you take a look at say, Younis Khan's record, you would be surprised at how similar that record is to Sanga's...even Inzy's for that matter if you remove minnows. Now if we want to call everyone with a great average 50 plus ATG that is fine by mine...everyone's criterion is different. You could say some are lower tier ATGs and others are the gold tier etc....for me only a select few are genuine ATGs. I think the term is thrown around far too loosely these days....but anyway to each his own. Fervently hope he tonks a couple of tons vs Pak. It is a travesty that Pak are number 3 in the rankings after dropping a test to Zimbabwe and despite not having won a series anywhere since Jan 2012!
Honestly Jassy, if you posted like this about Sanga more often, even those that didn't agree with you would still respect your viewpoint.

Spark

Global Moderator
See, if you'd just made this point from the start then tons more people would have agreed with you.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fmd, are you going to do this every time he gets to 50? He could go and get 300 for all I know but come on, it's getting annoying.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
The whole "Oh he doesn't look great playing fast bowlers" bull**** just makes me laugh - on that notion, Allan Border was a horrible player, he never looked comfortable at the crease and was never what you call free flowing and classical.

Sanga is the best since Bradman, anyone disputing it simply hates.

Blocky

Banned
Jayawardene - considered a modern great, 50 average over 147 tests... has less runs than Sangakarra has scored despite playing 21 more tests.

cnerd123

likes this
What does that prove? Sanga is more of a modern great than Jaya? Then yes. Does it prove Sanga is an ATG? No.

Flem274*

123/5
Kumar Sangakkara has more k's in his name than Sachin Tendulkar.

When I was little I thought his name was Kumara Sangakkara.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar has 3 vowels in his name. Sangakkara haa 4, but it's the same one 4 times which is boring. Tendulkar > Sangakkara