• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ummm 2005
Beat me to it. Talking of which, I'm tempted to remind one or two posters about their comments last summer when apparently the 2005 side was sooooo much better than the current crop that how could anyone possibly think that MPV's side was superior. This lot have now lost five tests in a calendar year and counting. Given that we have two more against SA and a tour of India to come, who knows where that'll finish? I reckon that the record might be eight (in 1984 since you ask). And I reckon it's seriously under threat.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought about it, but he wasn't really expected to deliver or play a key role was he? Perhaps my memory is failing me, but it was more Philander & Steyn expected to do the damage, and Imran chipping in here and there. Which he did a bit, while bowling some pies. Whereas if Imran had done nothing much this innings and England crawled home for a draw, we'd be asking plenty of questions.

And I still have no idea how Hussey made 39 in that innings. Imran did have him ****ting himself. i think.

Spikey

hey ****ers it's the 1st test. you can't be giving out medals for that! not in this economy!

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
England needs to rediscover the ability to move the ball off of arrow straight and how to create reverse swing.

The South Africans swung the ball a whole hell of a lot more than the England boys did, and yet Anderson and Bresnan were masters of swing and reverse swing a year ago. Where have those skills gone?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
After the first day England have been battered. Well done Saffers. Good result for the series, also a funny one after the outrageous statements by one or two Englishmen here pre-match.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, sorry, meant in a three test series.

Has it ever been done?
Not at home since I've been watching. Unless I've forgotten something, the best/only comeback in a 3-match home series was 1994 against SA when we came back to draw 1-1. fwiw we came back from behind in 1998 and 2003 (twice) in longer series, which is about the only straw I can think of clutching right now. Especially as we were outplayed early on in those series as well.

btw away from home I think we came back from 0-1 to win a 3-tester in NZ in 2008.

BeeGee

International Captain
& I broke the shaft on my spade doing it.

**** of an afternoon. My spade's ****ed, I get in from my gardening to find us 9 down and I think I've got sunburn. In England. That's like getting VD in a nunnery.
:laugh: Love reading your posts. Smart and funny. Best poster.

Jacknife

International Captain
Beat me to it. Talking of which, I'm tempted to remind one or two posters about their comments last summer when apparently the 2005 side was sooooo much better than the current crop that how could anyone possibly think that MPV's side was superior. This lot have now lost five tests in a calendar year and counting. Given that we have two more against SA and a tour of India to come, who knows where that'll finish? I reckon that the record might be eight (in 1984 since you ask). And I reckon it's seriously under threat.
You're a bundle of positivity again and I don't see the point for posts like this.

Can't remember anyone saying they were sooooo much better at all, I thought most people when put the side against each other man for man, they were very close, with the present side just coming out on top

benchmark00

Hamsandwich Amla is such a legend. If someone said a bad word about him I'd punch them in the mouth.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Proteas whatever happens in the rest of the series you have proved 95% of England supporters wrong.

Good fightback especially when England were 267/3, if the roles were reversed a certain word would have been thrown around...
Oh please. You wallopped us good and proper - try and enjoy it without the chippy crap eh?

And actually 95% of English supporters always said this could go either way. A couple were doing their usual pre-series banter, which you didn't read as such because you're new around here.