• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your fav. Batsman/Bowler of all time

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm "Those who havent played international cricket in the last 4 years"

Thats cutting it a bit fine for me...im not sure if these guys have played, anyway...

Batsman - Kim Barnett

Bowler - Brian McMillan , Fanie De Villiers

PY

International Coach
Overseas : Think Barry Richards would be one of my favourites even though I've only seen him on archive footage.

Overseas : Going to go for Curtley Ambrose because he was pretty damn awesome and it was worth a chuckle when he attempted to slog.

English : Michael Atherton, grew up when he was at height of his powers. Awesome player in my book.

English : Beefy for what he did to the Aussies in 1981. Wish I had coverage. :( (Anyone know anywhere that might sell it?)

Think my uncle has every English game played from 1979 to 1993 on video but he won't let me anywhere near them :!(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Think my uncle has every English game played from 1979 to 1993 on video but he won't let me anywhere near them :!(
Write his will leaving them all to you, then get him to sign it before shooting him.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
It's personal favourite. Of course it's going to be based on recent players, since you can't have a favourite if you've not seen him. :rolleyes:
I dunno about that. You can read an awful lot about some people and almost believe you'd seen them.

I know my favourite bowler of all time is SF Barnes, a quite amazing character as well as bowler. And my religion obliges me to make obeisance to Sir Len as favourite batsman even if I'd secretly prefer Compton.

But of players I've seen, well, it's more difficult.

Luckily, "favourite" <> "best". My main favourites are Lara and Holding (although Warne is oh-so-close there), even if I'd rate IVAR and Macko higher than them as players.

But if you really want my favourite favourite, it's the best fielder I've ever seen, Jim Foat (Glos 1972-79). Sadly, despite his brilliance at catching, stopping and throwing the ball, he was almost completely useless at anything else and therefore never really amounted to much, but I've always remembered him with great fondness.

Cheers,

Mike

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Are you not allowed to like players if they're "crap" now?

Thought police, is it?
No, not at all.
Just amazing how many players are liked by the crew who I regard as total jokes.

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Batsman : Viv Richards (True competitor with a class of his own).

Bowler : Wasim Akram (The best fast bowler world has ever produced).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
No, not at all.
Just amazing how many players are liked by the crew who I regard as total jokes.
That's life, Richard.

I mean, we both adore Corky - but even I'd admit that he has become, if not a total joke, then at least a glaring self-parody in 2003

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe his move to Lancs will revitalise him?
Probably just clutching at straws, but seriously, he did apparently have a broken ankle for the whole summer. And he still managed an average under 30, even if he was well short of the standards I always hope he'll reach.
Personally I don't think the hair's too bad, either - certainly not as bad as some made-out.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Personally I don't think the hair's too bad, either - certainly not as bad as some made-out.
I think Corky might just be a bit late to be revitalized, still at last someone who agrees with the hair... When it isnt in a hairband it looks way better than when he had it short...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I think Corky might just be a bit late to be revitalized, still at last someone who agrees with the hair... When it isnt in a hairband it looks way better than when he had it short...
Yes, but you're a public school boy brought up around people with those excuses for haircuts. Number 2 all over, you big girls.

Craig

World Traveller
Btasmen: Brain Lara
Bowler: Courtney Walsh (I do share the same surname :D) and Wasim Akram