Donnelly, Goodwin, Samarasaweera
Donnelly, Goodwin, Samarasaweera
Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick
Daryl Cullinan, D Lehmann, D Vengsarkar
D Cullinan - 3
T Samaraweera - 3
H Tillakaratne - 1
D Vengsarkar - 4
V Manjrekar - 1
S Malik - 2
M Donnelly - 2
S Ganguly - 3
S Watson - 1
M Goodwin - 2
L Rowe - 2
D Lehmann - 3
Positions 6 & 8
Shakib al-Hasan - 4
D Vettori - 1
P Mead - 1
T Samaraweera - 2
L Constantine - 3
B McMillan - 3
E Toshack - 1
G Giffen - 1
S Ajmal - 2
Samaraweera selected for the middle order given he had two additional votes at 6. Ended up counting 6 & 8 together because there was so much overlap. McMillan over Constantine due to the need for batting strength.
World U XI
- Sanath Jayasuriya
- Bill Brown
- Dilip Vengsarkar
- Darryl Cullinan
- Thilan Samaraweera
- Brian McMillan
- Shakib al-Hasan
- Bert Oldfield+
- Bill Voce
- Angus Fraser
- Subhash Gupte
Came out pretty well balanced, I think. Someone want to take over for the next XI?
Yeah I will do the world V team XI.
World XI (1)
1. J Hobbs 2. L Hutton 3. D Bradman 4. V Richards 5. S Tendulkar 6. G Sobers 7. A Gilchrist+ 8. I Khan 9 S. Warne 10. M Marshall 11. G McGrath
World A XI (2)
1. S Gavaskar 2. H Sutcliffe 3. G Headley 4. B Lara 5. W Hammond 6. J Kallis 7. A Knott+ 8. R Hadlee 9. W Akram 10. C Ambrose 11. M Muralitharan
World B XI (3)
1. B Richards 2. V Trumper 3. G Chappell 4. G Pollock 5. A Border 6. K Miller 7. L Ames+ 8. D Lillee 9. F Trueman 10. B O'Reilly 11. S Barnes
World C XI (4)
1. G Boycott 2. W.G Grace 3. R Ponting 4. K Barrington 5. S Waugh 6. C Walcott+ 7. I Botham 8. A Davidson 9. M Holding 10. J Laker 11. A Donald
World D XI (5)
1. G Greenidge 2. M Hayden 3. R Dravid 4. D Compton 5. E Weekes 6. F Worrell 7. D Lindsay+ 8. S Pollock 9. R Lindwall 10. J Garner 11. C Grimmett
World E XI (6)
1. G Gooch 2. A Morris 3. N Harvey 4. J Miandad 5. D Nourse 6. A Flower+ 7. M Procter 8. R Benaud 9. D Steyn 10. A Roberts 11. W Younis
World F XI (7)
1. B Mitchell 2. B Simpson 3. K Sangakkara 4. K Ranjitsinhji 5. C Macartney 6. C Lloyd 7. K Dev 8. D Tallon+ 9. H Verity 10. H Larwood 11. C Walsh
World G XI (8)
1. V Merchant 2. H Mohammad 3. S McCabe 4. K Pietersen 5. S Chanderpaul 6. A Faulkner 7. F Engineer+ 8. H Tayfield 9. A Bedser 10. I Bishop 11. C Croft
World H XI (9)
1. G Smith 2. V Sehwag 3. R Kanhai 4. M Crowe 5. Inzamam ul-Haq 6. D Walters 7. I Healy+ 8. M Tate 9. A Kumble 10. W Hall 11. J Snow
World I XI (10)
1. W Ponsford 2. W Lawry 3. T Dexter 4. P May 5. D Gower 6. A Greig 7. J Dujon+ 8. P Pollock 9. C Turner 10. B Statham 11. L Gibbs
World J XI (11)
1. T Goddard 2. E Barlow 3. I Chappell 4. E Paynter 5. AB de Villiers 6. VVS Laxman 7. J Waite+ 8. G Lohmann 9. D Underwood 10. F Tyson 11. N Adcock
World K XI (12)
1. D Haynes 2. B Woodfull 3. C Hill 4. M Jayawardene 5. A Jackson 6. A Stewart+ 7. C Cairns 8. A Flintoff 9. W Rhodes 10. F Mahmood 11. B Willis
World L XI (13)
1. S Anwar 2. C Hunte 3. R Richardson 4. L Hassett 5. C Cowdrey 6. W Armstrong 7. R Marsh+ 8. J Wardle 9. S Bond 10. J Thomson 11. T Richardson
World M XI (14)
1. G Kirsten 2. R Fredericks 3. D Boon 4. M Yousuf 5. V Hazare 6. S Jackson 7. G Evans+ 8. J Briggs 9. J Gillespie 10. F Spofforth 11. S Akhtar
World N XI (15)
1. A Cook 2. J Langer 3. Z Abbas 4. G Thorpe 5. M Clarke 6. M Waugh 7. M Noble 8. G Swann 9. J Blackham+ 10. J Cowie 11. B Johnston
World O XI (16)
1. S Barnes 2. M Taylor 3. Y Khan 4. D Jardine 5. A de Silva 6. V Mankad 7. J Russell+ 8. C Vaas 9. H Trumble 10. C McDermott 11. J Anderson
World P XI (17)
1. G Turner 2. M Slater 3. M Leyland 4. H Taylor 5. M Hussey 6. F Woolley 7. M Prior+ 8. J Gregory 9. T Lock 10. M Ntini 11. B Reid
World Q XI (18)
1. J Edrich 2. D Amiss 3. A Kallicharan 4. M Azharuddin 5. D Martyn 6. M Mohammad 7. R Latif+ 8. H Streak 9. S Clarke 10. E Prassana 11. B Chandrasehkar
World R XI (19)
1. M Vaughan 2. I Redpath 3. S Fleming 4. R Smith 5. G Vishwanath 6. J Reid 7. M Boucher+ 8. M Hughes 9. A Qadir 10. W Daniel 11. M Asif
World S XI (20)
1. M Atherton 2. C Gayle 3. T Graveney 4. N O'Neill 5. J Ryder 6. B D'Oliveria 7. G Alexander+ 8. S Mushtaq 9. J Srinath 10. G McKenzie 11. P Patterson
World T XI (21)
1. M Trescothick 2. S Dempster 3. K Duleepsinhji 4. H Amla 5. P Hendren 6. Asif Iqbal 7. W Grout+ 8. G Allen 9. B Lee 10. B Bedi 11. T Alderman
World U XI (22)
1. S Jayasuriya 2. B Brown 3. D Vengsarkar 4. D Cullinan 5. T Samaraweera 6. B McMillan 7. S al-Hasan 8. B Oldfield+ 9. B Voce 10. A Fraser 11. S Gupte
1 - Select 3 batsman - any batsman, openers or middle order.
2 - Select a keeper
3 - Select a spinner
Marvan Atapattu, Charles Bannerman, Warren Bardsley, Jimmy Cook, Gautam Gambhir, Herschelle Gibbs, Tamim Iqbal, Simon Katich, Majid Khan, Colin McDonald, Jackie McGlew, Archie McLaren, Alan Melville, Mudassar Nazar, Mark Richardson, Pankaj Roy, Navjot Sidhu, Jeff Stollmeyer, Andrew Strauss, Cyril Washbrook, Shane Watson, Kepler Wessels, John Wright
Ijaz Ahmed, Mohinder Amarnath, Ian Bell, Colin Bland, Brian Booth, Herbie Collins, Charlie Davis, Martin Donnelly, Jack Fingleton, Sourav Ganguly, Larry Gomes, Gerry Gomez, Murray Goodwin, Asanka Gurusinha, Joe Hardstaff, Nasser Hussain, David Houghton, Darren Lehmann, Ken Mackay, Saleem Malik, Vijay Manjrekar, Phil Mead, Seymour Nurse, Lawrence Rowe, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Arthur Shrewsbury, Raman Subba-Row, Ross Taylor, Hashan Tillakaratne, Johnathan Trott, Misbah Ul Haq, Polly Umrigar, Shane Watson
Wasim Bari, Jock Cameron, MS Dhoni, George Duckworth, Barry Jarman, Brad Haddin, Jackie Hendriks, David Houghton, Ridley Jacobs, Prasanna Jayawardene, Syed Kirmani, Gil Langley, Brendon McCullum, Kiran More, Deryck Murray, Jim Parks, Adam Parore, Ian Smith, Herbert Strudwick, Brian Taber, Tatenda Taibu, Bob Taylor, Hashan Tillekaratne, Dave Richardson.
Mushtaq Ahmed, Saeed Ajmal, Shakib Al-Hasan, Charlie Blythe, George Giffen, Regana Herath, Bert Ironmonger, Jack Iverson, Ian Johnson, Lindsay Kline, Stuart MacGill, Arthur Mailey, Colin Miller, Bobby Peel, Iqbal Qasim, Sonny Ramadhin, Pervez Sajjad, Reggie Schwarz, Harbajhan Singh, Alf Valentine, Daniel Vettori, Bert Vogler.
Looking at World E wow. What an amazing attack.
Gibbs & Strauss
CricZo XI - 6 Draft Winner
Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow
Nuf, you left Shakib in the spinners bit.
Really interesting exercise, I've spotted a few strange selections. I'm someone who doesn't like to compare eras too much, so I'll stick to players who played in a similar period.
How did Stephen Fleming get selected 2 teams ahead of Hashim Amla and 3 teams ahead of Thilan Samaraweera? He's a much worse batsman than both of those guys.
Is David Gower that good to get into the 10th eleven? Yousuf seems a little low in the 14th team, we all know he cashed in to some extent against some weaker teams, but still has record for most runs in a year, and has maintained an average over 50.
I love Saeed Anwar he's one of my favourites but he didn't last too long in test cricket compared to other openers in the modern game, which has to count against him. I guess his impressive performance against Australia and his ability to handle Warne and Murali well is what elevated him to that position.
Younis Khan is too low, he's been prolific in test cricket and hardly seems to have any bad series.
Lastly, why hasn't Saeed Ajmal been selected at all given that Swann made the 15th team. If his wicket count isn't enough then why is Shane Bond ahead of him.
I get that there's no 1 person that can answer these questions and this is not an exact science, but just some things I noticed.
Some fair points it's only natural though that a few people look slightly out of place. I don't know if you've read much of the thread but we ask different questions each round which could impact on the order slightly. For instance we might say pick a batsman at 3 while another round it's pick 3 middle order bats. Also re: Fleming and Amla, I guess some voters don't rate non retired players as highly.
Re: Swann vs Amla, I agree Swann looks like he's picked early but I think he got selected partly due to his batting, at the time I was annoyed he got picked when he did.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)