• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Michael Clarke the best captain around?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
best? i dunno know. most entertaining 4 sure.

and he is hax at bowling changes

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion, yes. He isn't one just to let a game meander along, he always comes up with something to give Australia a better chance of the win.

Rather annoyed at people criticising his declaration last night - I don't have a clue why anyone would prefer him to let the game meander to a boring draw, rather than take the initiative and try and get a win.

The public may think differently, however I would definitely prefer Clarke to make an aggressive decision to try and win a match, even if it ends in a loss, that for him to take the safe, boring option and settle for a tame draw.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Cricket is played for the purposes of entertainment. Some may derive immense enjoyment from the series result, however I prefer the enjoyment of an exciting game.

Clarke made a fantastic move IMO. Such a shame weather destroyed an interesting match

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is played for the purposes of entertainment. Some may derive immense enjoyment from the series result, however I prefer the enjoyment of an exciting game.

Clarke made a fantastic move IMO. Such a shame weather destroyed an interesting match
Pattinson was injured and wouldnt have batted. Declaring with just the No 11 left is not such a fantastic or aggressive move.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my opinion, yes. He isn't one just to let a game meander along, he always comes up with something to give Australia a better chance of the win.

Rather annoyed at people criticising his declaration last night - I don't have a clue why anyone would prefer him to let the game meander to a boring draw, rather than take the initiative and try and get a win.

The public may think differently, however I would definitely prefer Clarke to make an aggressive decision to try and win a match, even if it ends in a loss, that for him to take the safe, boring option and settle for a tame draw.
I was happy from the West Indies perspective, because I'd quite like them to beat Australia. Doesn't alter the fact it was a stupid declaration. He's not Australian captain to give the other side a decent chance of winning, he's there to win matches and series. Don't give the opposition anything.

People need to think beyond brave, aggressive and all this other ****e. It's about making the best decisions regardless of emotive drivel. It's about being smart regardless of what the consensus or some bunch of numpties in the media think. The declaration in the first Test was smart, the declaration in the second Test was extremely dumb.

It also didn't fit in with how they batted in their 3rd innings. Seemed like a more impulsive decision.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
not enough Misbah love n this thread the guy can come across touch too defensive but the man does does know how to play on his team strengths.

Talking strictly tests here because in odi's he is indeed quite average.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I was happy from the West Indies perspective, because I'd quite like them to beat Australia. Doesn't alter the fact it was a stupid declaration. He's not Australian captain to give the other side a decent chance of winning, he's there to win matches and series. Don't give the opposition anything.

People need to think beyond brave, aggressive and all this other ****e. It's about making the best decisions regardless of emotive drivel. It's about being smart regardless of what the consensus or some bunch of numpties in the media think. The declaration in the first Test was smart, the declaration in the second Test was extremely dumb.

It also didn't fit in with how they batted in their 3rd innings. Seemed like a more impulsive decision.
He gave himself the best chance of winning the game. As someone said, don't know how many the last two would've added, and besides, this is the Windies they're playing. I'd say it was a calculated gamble knowing the dour nature of their batting and general lack of technical competence.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He gave himself the best chance of winning the game. As someone said, don't know how many the last two would've added, and besides, this is the Windies they're playing. I'd say it was a calculated gamble knowing the dour nature of their batting and general lack of technical competence.
If you're looking to set something even this West Indies batting lineup can have a go at why would you play so defensively and then decide right tailenders you have a swing it at now? Clarke's intention to declare created the situation where they ended up 8 down. Sammy clouts them a few times and so Clarke decides to essentially end the game at that point - not much aggression there. 15 off 51 balls wasn't very aggressive either. If he wants to compared to any decent captains he'd have said to the team we want 200 here in 50 overs, or something along those lines. Not we'll bat at 2 an over for the morning session of the 5th day then go off once a guy averaging 18 slogs a few. Basically he had nothing to lose continuing anyway unless the light magically got better.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Could it be beginner's luck? New captains tend to start off well.

[/cynical]

But seriously I've enjoyed his captaincy and obviously so does the team. It's fun to watch Australian cricket again.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
If you're looking to set something even this West Indies batting lineup can have a go at why would you play so defensively and then decide right tailenders you have a swing it at now? Clarke's intention to declare created the situation where they ended up 8 down. Sammy clouts them a few times and so Clarke decides to essentially end the game at that point - not much aggression there. 15 off 51 balls wasn't very aggressive either. If he wants to compared to any decent captains he'd have said to the team we want 200 here in 50 overs, or something along those lines. Not we'll bat at 2 an over for the morning session of the 5th day then go off once a guy averaging 18 slogs a few. Basically he had nothing to lose continuing anyway unless the light magically got better.
I think there's a fine line between being instinctive and impulsive. Clarke just might belong to the former camp. You have to be malleable enough to adapt your strategies as the day wears on; maybe he was content playing out a draw till the very moment he decided to declare. Maybe it was gut feel, maybe it was impulsive as you say, maybe he drew upon his tarot. Who's to say? But I do find it rather refreshing to see a captain willing to have a receptive frame of mind in this day and age. It's a confidence thing and a win out of these circumstances could only boost a young team's morale.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
I thought that the light meter determines when play stops. The umpires informed Clarke that light was stopping play and not Clarke calling the shots.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought that the light meter determines when play stops. The umpires informed Clarke that light was stopping play and not Clarke calling the shots.
They told him he could only bowl spin from that point onwards if he wanted to keep playing.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nope

"Darren and I spoke on the ground right at the end before we came off for bad light and both captains wanted to do everything we could to stay out there but as the umpires said it was just way too dark unfortunately, even though I said I'd bowl spin at both ends. I said at that stage, because I'd had Shane Watson bowl the last over from that end, is it okay if I bring on two spinners but they told me it was even too dark for that."

uvelocity

International Coach
not surprised at that quote.

feel there was no hope left in regard to a result.

scaly you're going too far the other way. It was by no means an amazing declaration, but it wasn't very risky either, and if we lost from there it was our own fault anyway. It was a draw from the start of the day barring a freak of nature wasn't it.