• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

Eclipse said:
Ohh BTW how strong is Symond's.

those two sixes were indeed a sight to see one out of the ground and the other onto the roof lol.
That was the second most effective display of power hitting I've seen since the first VB Series final last year.

username

Cricket Spectator
Bapu Rao Swami said:
My prediction for the VB series- India loses final 2-1 to Australia but hey once again you never know! 8D
Sure you know. And if India do win a match, it'll be the dead rubber. As the stakes get higher, the better teams play better, Australia have another gear, they showed it today, if it's needed they will produce it, and India will have no answer.

The final series could produce great cricket, it could be close, but it will never be in doubt.

Eclipse

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
That was the second most effective display of power hitting I've seen since the first VB Series final last year.
Yes I remember. It was so good seeing Caddick get smashed for nine fours in just 15 balls by Gilchrist at one stage.

Pure carnage more or less every good length ball outside offstump was just slayed through point/cover by Gilly in that innings all along the ground but hit amazingly hard.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
username said:
Sure you know. And if India do win a match, it'll be the dead rubber.
If only you knew something about cricket, especially in your own country. However you don't, there's no dead rubber, it's only if required.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
I personally think India will teach Pak a cricket lesson.Kapil Dev, Ravi Shashti and even Pak cricket boss ae all of the opinion that India will be had to beat:)
The first 2 are bound to say that, and the 3rd one is being diplomatic.

I think it will be a tight series, one of the best of the year in all probability.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
I have always wondered why Australia doesn't play more at the WACA, Perth. I love that track because you always get to see great bowling performances.
I agree! The more the better as far as I'm concerned!

Actually, in all seriousness I was saying today that it was refreshing to see a wicket do that to the bowlers. I think they deserve it once in a while!

Katich was booed. Harharhar, its incredibly disrespectful, but incredibly hilarious all at the same time.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Obviously Martyn has to be given a rest....he was sick not long ago and it has been a long series. Give him a couple of games off and let him back and see what he can do!

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
SquidAU said:
Obviously Martyn has to be given a rest....he was sick not long ago and it has been a long series. Give him a couple of games off and let him back and see what he can do!
You see he should have been rested long ago when he was in no form.

See it this way, he hasn't been in form, he hasn't been contributing, so why not, on the off chance, give another guy a go to see what he can do instead of taking the chance on an out of form Martyn.

Cric_freak

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
Martyn before VB Series - 43.09
Martyn now - 40.92

Clarke before VB Series - 65.40
Clarke now - 41.69.
I'd still say Martyn's worse. Considering the number of matches they've played.

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who would people replace Martyn with?

Keep Hussey in and have Ponting replaced Martyn? Instead of ponting replacing Hussey - which is what i think will happen.

Dont people think Aus may need a full time spinner in the finals instead of relying on the part timers?

Clarke just needs experience to gain abit of maturity then i'm sure he will blossom.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
People shouldn't get too carried away with this result. The Indians won't have to play Australia in Perth again.

We'll see if Lee can produce the goods again in Melbourne or Sydney. That said he did bowl a much better length in Perth and got his pace up really well. It was the best that I have seen him bowl in a long time. I think it only shows that he came back too early. he should have regained fitness in the state games.

Martyn needs to be dropped so he can get some confidence back in the state games. Hussey is also a better fielder than Martyn so it will only enhance the team if he stays on. Hogg also should be dropped as the selectors seem reluctant to play him against India. Therefore there is no point to him being there.

Symonds has had a good series. he has taken wickets consistently and has batted well on a couple of occasions. The Gilchrist Symonds partnership was a great one especially when India were getting themselves back into the game. Laxman must be ruing the dropped chance off Gilchrist.

I wouldn't write off India yet. Their top 6 are very settled and are great one day players. The bowling as always is still awful but the way the pitches have played the batsmen have won and lost games this series.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Thelwell said:
Dont people think Aus may need a full time spinner in the finals instead of relying on the part timers?
Ponting appears to have little confidence in his slow bowlers in general, from what I've seen - I'll be interested to see if they play a full-timer in the finals, but at this stage, I'd guess no.

The fact that the Indians seem to make mince meat out of whomever we toss up doesn't help either. In a way, it's probably not that bad a call, when it's this opposition. Sydney certainly doesn't favor the turners like it used to, either.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
Ponting appears to have little confidence in his slow bowlers in general, from what I've seen - I'll be interested to see if they play a full-timer in the finals, but at this stage, I'd guess no.

The fact that the Indians seem to make mince meat out of whomever we toss up doesn't help either. In a way, it's probably not that bad a call, when it's this opposition. Sydney certainly doesn't favor the turners like it used to, either.
Agreed.

If we had Warne back, of course we'd have a spinner, but nobody is really currently capable of tieing down the Indian batsmen and taking wickets who have tried spinning.

Hogg has been unimpressive, and I would be surprised if he is picked.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
symonds clarke and Katich all bowl a little spin, Katich hasn't been used yet, but if he plays in the sydney final there is a good chance, depending on how the other bowlers are going

Kenny

U19 Debutant
It really ****es me off that the very first time we play India on a fast bouncy pitch, we see their much vaunted top 5 batsman stuggle, look indecisive and tentative, and suddenly begin playing away from their body.
The flat track twins, Laxman and Dravid, were exposed, with Laxman not particularly interested in getting behind the line of the ball and Dravid looking sound enough but unable to score runs!
Ganguly even found it necessary to demote himself in the order, with the speedo showing Lee up around 155kmh - coincidence?
Maybe, but Lee was in his 8th over at the time.....Sourav was maybe hoping he'd finish his spell before he had to emerge?

The pitches in Sydney and Adelaide, even Brisbane were slow and devoid of any life - more suited to the Indians than us, and certainly contibuted much to India's positive result of a 1-1 draw.

The only pitch that had a little bit of life in it, Melbourne, resulted in an Aussie win.

Cricket Australia, and to a lesser extent the curators of the aforementioned grounds, have a lot to answer for.