• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that initially promised but eventually disappointed

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Usman Afzaal, Mark Rampakash, Michael Vaughan, Alex Tudor.
Did Afzaal ever really promise much? Remember him celebrating his only test 50 like he'd scored a double hundred in a series decider and always doubted his moral fibre thereafter, especially as he went soon afterwards.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah understand your point, but he is not a disappointment in the sense that he didn't achieve - infact his record cannot be questioned. My issue, and why his record isn't what it could be, was due to his lack of intelligence as a Test bowler.

When he came into Text cricket, he bowled a wonderful outswinger and made batsmen play. For the large majority of his Test career, however, he bowled either bouncer, at the ribs or yorker. Can't remember him for a good few years really doing anyone over in more traditional methods.

His ODI record suggests that he was more than capable of bowling excellent areas and troubling batsmen through late swing and excellent lengths, for some reason every time he played the red ball game pretty much between 2001-2006/07 he became carried away with the idea of being some sort of 'enforcer', and focused on bowling an an intimidating manner rather than a way to get people out.

I'm sure if he had his time again as a Test cricketer we'd see him bowl in the sort of areas that he did at the beginning and end of his career; but I'd also argue he suffered due to the coaching or guidance he had around him for a good few years too who didn't give him the right gameplan.
This. So many times this. Brett Lee could have been a 23-25 averaging bowler, if he but bowled in the right areas, which he was capable of doing. He was so frustrating because he had so much talent and potential but never realised it due to not bowling at the top of off stump.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think the point about coaching is an interesting one. Who is at fault, Lee or the coaching staff?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Considering the number of injuries Vaughan had, was it really that unfufilled 18 test tons and 5,000+ runs at a 40+ average?

Jacknife

International Captain
Considering the number of injuries Vaughan had, was it really that unfufilled 18 test tons and 5,000+ runs at a 40+ average?
I know what you saying and injuries did rob him but there's no doubt everyone thought he was going to end up with a far better average than he did after watching him play in the early 2000's.