• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Food for thought for those who think India was never among the top 4

Xuhaib

International Coach
agree with you bud I was really pissed when nobody on CW rated Pakistan the best test team in the world during the bodyline era when clearly we were better then England and Australia:(

Spark

Global Moderator
They're ranked 4th officially based on recent results.

The subjective rankings of how good each cricket team relative to each other (which is probably the more interesting question) is exactly that - subjective.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Need to sympathize with Sreeku7. I too felt the same when everyone in the thread 'Who is the worse no 1' was having India in the second tier along with NZ and WI. We won against WI both home and away and hence there is no way India is equal or just slightly better to them.

But as PEWS said, noone was saying about where India ranked in the last decade and everyone was ranking them only based on current form. It was a wrong argument to put worth in the OP though I can understand where it came from.

Shri

Mr. Glass
SA, Aus and England are top 3 in no particular order. WI, Zim and Bangladesh are at the bottom. The rest can be re-arranged any way and are irrelevant.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Stop defending crap and living in denial. No reasonably good team loses the way we have lost the last 8 away games. Not a semblance of fight. Easy-beat, have-beens are all they are.

Xuhaib

International Coach
OP is showing the same insecurities as a 15 yr ol school girl would show after being dumped by her first boyfriend.

If you make a poll where you ask who were the top 4 teams for the last decade 95% of the cw'ers would have India there. However the recent results results will always have more relevance when we are talking about current subjective rankings hence based on last 6 months results India cannot be in anybody's top 4 list but 6 months is a long time no one knows who will be in the subjective top 4 six months down the line. I remember when Pakistan got whitewashed in Aus last time around there were suggestions that there should be two tiers of test cricket with India, Aus, Eng, SA & SL being tier 1 and rest tier 2. I suggested at that time that test cricket is cyclical and unless it is the 80's Windies, Warne-Mcgrath era Australia or Bangladesh international sides will keep on bumping up and down the ranking table due to various factors and I guess i will still stand by my theory.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
ICC Test Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See above article about historical rankings.The performance of a team is rated not by its recent results..It is the evaluation of its performance over a certain period of time that matters,especially in Test Cricket. Not only winning rubber but retaining it is also important.This cannot be taken into consideration by evaluating recent results If Australia was the most dominant Test team of the modern era it is pertinent to evaluate other Test teams by their respective performances against the best team.My point is that India had done better than other teams in this regard

After the 4-0 drubbing of India England regained the Pataudi Trophy.Until England retains it by beating India in India rating the status of either team is baseless

Similarly Australia regained B-G Trophy by beating India 4-0.Let them retain it in India in 2013 before jumping into any conclusions regarding India's current Test status(Or Australia's for that matter)

England proved its superiority over Australia after regaining The Ashes in England and retaining it in Australia.I don't think any Australian fan would have accepted England's superiority until they were thrashed at home by England.

So my point is don't go by recent results.Give every team a chance to prove themselves before passing sweeping remarks on them

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
ICC Test Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See above article about historical rankings.The performance of a team is rated not by its recent results..It is the evaluation of its performance over a certain period of time that matters,especially in Test Cricket. Not only winning rubber but retaining it is also important.This cannot be taken into consideration by evaluating recent results If Australia was the most dominant Test team of the modern era it is pertinent to evaluate other Test teams by their respective performances against the best team.My point is that India had done better than other teams in this regard

After the 4-0 drubbing of India England regained the Pataudi Trophy.Until England retains it by beating India in India rating the status of either team is baseless

Similarly Australia regained B-G Trophy by beating India 4-0.Let them retain it in India in 2013 before jumping into any conclusions regarding India's current Test status(Or Australia's for that matter)

England proved its superiority over Australia after regaining The Ashes in England and retaining it in Australia.I don't think any Australian fan would have accepted England's superiority until they were thrashed at home by England.

So my point is don't go by recent results.Give every team a chance to prove themselves before passing sweeping remarks on them
Think Gambhir is posting in CW since he is not playing today :)

Spark

Global Moderator
Might as well stop watching tbh if recent results don't matter. Not sure what else we can go on.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Think Gambhir is posting in CW since he is not playing today :)
found out!!! :ph34r:

Why not, how is 1995 Test Cricket more relevant to how teams stand now than recent Test Cricket?
read the first para of this post

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...-india-never-among-top-4-a-3.html#post2785776

India has won rubber against England and Australia and successfully defended it.Now England and Australia have wrested the rubber from India,let them defend it.Until then desist from rating the Indian team.(Criticizing the performance of the team is ok but rating the team is not, imo)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Back on topic, silly thread. Not even the guy who hates Indian cricket with a passion (Raghav) has said this on CW. :)