• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NEW FEATURE ON BENCHMARK00WEB.NET: Indian cricket test series report & analysis

Spark

Global Moderator
I will never, ever forgive Dhoni for setting a field to Umesh Yadav at Sydney against Michael Clarke with no slips early on Day 2. Especially because his first two overs that day with a normal field had actually been pretty good and if not quite troubled Clarke, gave him cause to be cautious.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Along with how well most of the Australians batted.
I don't mean they just didn't take any wickets though; I mean they were legitimately poor as a whole. It wasn't just the batting. I'm a bit reluctant to say Australia batted particularly well anyway tbh; India had the top 3 gone early in most of the innings Australia batted and then just let them completely off the hook.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Why they call him ****mark00

RE: Sehwag, 28/1/2012.
There hasn't been a big difference in his footwork, IMO, think he's just been leaning back on the ball more than usual, his balance has been off.
RE: Dravid, 13/1/2012
You can see why Dravid has struggled in Australia, this tour especially but even in general. His defence has been breached so often because he's not prepared to commit over his front leg when defending, you see him go forward and then brace his front knee and stand up tall, rather than getting his eyes over the ball. His hands try to find the ball and that's where he's fallen down.

He looked very similar in his first tour over here in 1999/00.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's hard to say we batted well as a whole when really it was just the same two or three people every time, with only one exception.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've said it before but the way pressure just evaporated after a batsman passed 20....it's the bowlers, it's the captain, it's the fielders around the batsman. Just shocking.

Daemon

I don't mean they just didn't take any wickets though; I mean they were legitimately poor as a whole. It wasn't just the batting. I'm a bit reluctant to say Australia batted particularly well anyway tbh; India had the top 3 gone early in most of the innings Australia batted and then just let them completely off the hook.
Melbourne - Two 50+ totals in each innings
Sydney - Three 100s in the first innings (out of 6 guys that batted)
Perth - One 100 and one 50 in the first innings,
Adelaide - Two 100s in the first, one 50 in the first

Basically it just goes to show Australia rarely all fired together as a batting unit (barring Sydney), just had these ****ing massive partnerships where guys got stuck in and took the game away from India. Confirms your point about taking wickets in a burst and doing sfa for the rest of the innings.

Spikey

Spike**** waiting for each bit to be quoted one at a time so he can eventually read the whole thing imo.
I won't deny it

Did you mention the whole not having a first slip fetish thing? Captain, bowlers, senior players and coach all need to take the blame for that

Spark

Global Moderator
I won't deny it

Did you mention the whole not having a first slip fetish thing? Captain, bowlers, senior players and coach all need to take the blame for that
Speaking of which, what the **** was going on with Tendulkar going in and out of first slip all the time? Have never, ever seen anything like that before.

benchmark00

I won't deny it

I didn't mention it specifically, but yeah.

Stupidest one was by Sehwag in Adelaide. Had a (wide) 2nd and 3rd slip but no first.

Clarke gets an edge off a cut and goes straight through. goes on to make 200.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Re: Dhoni's genital-free captaincy; he's always been like it to a certain extent, but has he got worse since Fletcher took over or are we just noticing it more?

Deep cover point, for instance, is a very Fletcherish position.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't mention it specifically, but yeah.

Stupidest one was by Sehwag in Adelaide. Had a (wide) 2nd and 3rd slip but no first.

Clarke gets an edge off a cut and goes straight through. goes on to make 200.
Anyone who thinks no first slip to Michael Clarke is a good idea needs to be dragged behind a shed a shot. So so so so so dumb.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It was a very good position for Langer and Martyn, even the Katman around 2005. But guys have adjusted their games since then and are prepared to collect singles and work the ball in that area, really think it's dropping out of vogue again to some extent.

benchmark00

Speaking of which, what the **** was going on with Tendulkar going in and out of first slip all the time? Have never, ever seen anything like that before.
That was also stupid. Totally disrupts Dravid's game.

First slip is so unique in that you watch the ball go onto the bat. Second slip onwards you're just focused on the bat. Having Dravid interchange between those two spots can't have helped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I reckon the conversation pretty much went like this:

Indian Thinktank Member #1:
So Dravid has dropped about 1,000 catches at first slip in the past two years; we should probably do something about that...

Indian Thinktank Member #2:
Not a lot we can do, really. Maybe we could just move him to second or third and Tendulkar to first?

Indian Thinktank Member #1:
Well that could work, but what about when we only have one slip in? Dravid is a terrible outfielder and Sachin enjoys his time running about for little burts..

Indian Thinktank Member #2:
Good point; we'll just have to put Dravid back from second to first when that happens I guess.

Can't see any other way they could come up with what they did tbh.