• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which one is worse?

Which one is worse?

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Planned sledging or imbecile send-offs...

Edit: How can I make the 3rd option an image?

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
They are both positives, adding to the richness and cultural diversity of the game.

The third option, however...

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As long as it doesn't cross into racism/abuse directed towards family (unless both parties have been playing at it over the course of the game), I reckon anything goes. Dainty prancing antics like Watson's should be more of an affront to Watson than the batsman I'd imagine.

We Indians are generally too anal about sledging. You don't spend all your life surrounded by prim and proper people, why should the cricket field be any different? Be witty about it, give it back, and then go have a drink after the game.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Both have no part of the game. The young guys in my team have started to do send offs to the opposition. I told them that I didn't think it was part of the game. But I got outvoted. I blame international cricketers for settng a bad example. Honestly in my grade we only have 8 teams two years ago there were 12. Everyone is ****ing off to play 20 20 - if we give the fingers to the opposition they will find something better to do with their time than play cricket especially if they are losing to boot.

Sledging should be banned from the game all together. The players themselves seem to love it however. Stephen Fleming "Only the lesser players seem to get bothered by sledging - as long as the sledging doesn't get personal I have no problem with it". What the **** does personal mean. you are an asshole stephen is not ok. The NZ cricket team are assholes is ok because it is not personal. Stupid distinction IMHO.

I personally can't stand lip reading Peter Siddle swearing at some Indian batsman. Although I will comment that recent Australians sledge less than they did in 80s based on what I remember. Merv Hughes and company were attrocious and shouldn't be offered any sort of employment in the game of cricket after their careers ended.

I know our Australian posters favour sledging - as it means you care about the outcome of the game and you are passionate. I just doubt they personally have been sworn at in cricket game so don't really know what it feels like. Sledging just takes away from the skill level of the game by making it a battle of aggression instead of skill. It is uncouth and gutter talk.

I draw a distinction with encouraging your team and using "chatter" (e,g. c'mon bowler you've got him) to pressure the batsman.

This is my two cents.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really have a problem with any form of sledging, but I hate the send-offs. What's the point? You've already won the battle against that player, so there's nothing to gain from it. It's just being a ****.

TNT

Banned
what are the chances that less people would play cricket because when they play they just get bored when fielding because its so quiet and its all just too boring.

Considering a lot of people play sport to satisfy their aggressive side.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
as a bowler, definitely. cliched example often used is how the WI bowlers were gentle giants who did their job and went back peacefully, but there has to be a natural wellspring of aggression for that kind of spite to show through in performances. Some are capable of channeling it into more "acceptable" avenues, others tend to lay it all out on the table. As an adult batsman, just deal with it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
As I said in the other thread - the purpose of sledging is to cause a wicket in a non-cricketing way - unlike send-offs.

A send-off can't change the result of the game in any way (unless a batsman is affected in the 2nd innings by the send-off he got in the 1st, or something like that), but the purpose of sledging is just that...

Maybe there's a reason the word 'sledging' came from sledge-hammer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know our Australian posters favour sledging - as it means you care about the outcome of the game and you are passionate. I just doubt they personally have been sworn at in cricket game so don't really know what it feels like.
:laugh:

Been sworn at plenty. And loved it ftr.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I find sledging and swearing great. Send-offs are stupid, but go ahead if you want to make yourself look like an idiot.

The thing is, nowadays, especially amongst youngsters, you're going to find that insults and swears are thrown about casually, and hardly anyone gets offended by them. I love it when someone insults me and I'm able to put in a performance that allows me to laugh at them at the end of the day. It's a great feeling.

Obviously you've got to do it in moderation though, if you want respect from other teams and players, it's best not to go over the top. Making jokes, and cheeky digs are all better than straight out 'your mum is a whore' type of insults.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind people disagreeing with me about this issue, but I don't like people making (incorrect as it was) assumptions about my experiences due to my opinions.
Yeah, that's the only part I disagree with in Hurricane's post. I personally assume that all those who support and participate in sledging are not affected much when sledged to - because they are thick-skinned.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I just doubt they personally have been sworn at in cricket game so don't really know what it feels like.
I have been sledged at and have sledged and honestly I don't mind as long as long as people don't cross the line..I understand sometimes people do and I am lucky I haven't experienced that. It was usually limited to mocking someone's cricketing skills.

Spark

Global Moderator

Same, and this goes for a huge portion of my mates.

The thing about sledging is that it has to be targeted. If you just randomly call someone a ****, they'll laugh it off and forget about it. By far the best sledges that worked against me and that I saw work against others were strictly cricket related, needling on flaws - whether real or imagined - in a batsman's technique, trying to make them second guess themselves.

Needless to say sledging a bowler is the epitome of just plain dumb, especially a quick.

I have no idea when sledging became synonymous with abuse, but it's misguided tstl.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

So can I swear at you on CW given you are so impervious to insults or will I be infracted :ph34r:

I don't really believe your post PEWS. I don't think you would enjoy it if I called you a smug ****. Or does somehow being on a cricket field suddenly make you stern while off it you are vulnerable like everyone else?
And if that is the case what does that say about the game of cricket that suddenly the morals of society don't apply when you step on to the field. That sort of a game doesn't sound like a game played by gentlemen to me.
I guess we all have different attitudes towards swearing perhaps you are cooler with it than I - and perhaps that is part of the difference here as well.

Best Wishes to you

Hurricane

Spark

Global Moderator
I get sworn at all the time in day to day life. ffs even on this forum. Seriously, it's not a big deal being called a **** every now and then...