• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moin Khan vs Rashid Latif

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Both had FC careers starting in 1985/6 and ending in 2005, both averaged 29 in Test cricket, both captained their country at various points, yet Khan played twice as many tests as Latif.

Cricinfo suggests that Latif was the better 'keeper, but was a more difficult character to rein in, whereas Khan was a slightly better batsman and more of a combative player.

Both look to be relatively equal, so is there any reason why there is such a selection disparity? Am I missing something, or can it be chalked up to 1990s Pakistan selection problems?

So basically, who was better?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have never seen Rashid Latif miss a catch or a stumping...I have seen Moin Khan fumble a few..(difficult ones...nothing compared to Khatmal)

I have also seen Moin Khan save Pakistan with his batting countless times and sweep McGrath for a 6 over mid wicket in the World Cup 99. I haven't seen Rashid Latif do all that.

Wicket Keeper: Rashid Latif
Batsman: Moin Khan

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rashid Latif was a faaaaar better wicketkeeper than Moin Khan. And Moin was a good keeper, mind.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That is different from dropping a catch... I am talking about his cricketing skills, not his personal integrity.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The same match Latif claimed that catch was an incredible game. Pakistan may never have won that match if Latif didn't perform the deed. Shows what the pressure of a close contest can do to a competitor if not of sound ethical values.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
We Pakistani fans used to think Moin was rubbish because Latif was such a good keeper. However we came to realise how wrong we were when Kamran Akmal started show his talent.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Rashid was a fantastic keeper him and Healy are the best pure keeper I have ever seen Moin was just adequate behind the stumps.

Both look Gilchrist considering we had to tolerate that big teeth baboon for so long.

Satguru

Banned
Yeah, Latif was a better keeper, but Moin was definitely the better batsman for me. Played some awesome innings down the order, and was pretty awesome as a lower-order destructive batsman... vividly remember him hitting McG for an amazing six in a 1999 WC game, hoicked it from outside off and it went way over long leg

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Latif was a better keeper, but Moin was definitely the better batsman for me. Played some awesome innings down the order, and was pretty awesome as a lower-order destructive batsman... vividly remember him hitting McG for an amazing six in a 1999 WC game, hoicked it from outside off and it went way over long leg
Moin Khan indeed has a good case for being considered for the limited overs version of the game over Latif. But I was comparing them as test match players.

smash84

The Tiger King
even as a test match player I think Moin's runs were valuable and he was a gritty batsman.

Could also take the attack to the opposition and play unconventional shots to mess up the bowlers line

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Cheating aside, Rashid Latif was always my choice as a keeper, even if he did frustrate me with his inability to hold a bat. Best pure keeper out of Pakistan for me. Always liked Moin too. Fact is, Moin wasn't much worse than Latif, but he was a much better batsman, which is why he played so much more. I fondly remember that six someone else mentioned.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Haha Nightprowler, just clicked on the link to your favourite thread. I created a similar thread couple of months ago and painfully found out that the bastards ruined it just like SS's thread. :laugh: