• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does Cricket stack up in terms of Fitness?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's the difference between the best and rest, innit? Heaps of 1st grade cricketers who, talent-wise, could play Tests but don't have the other pieces of the puzzle.

Daemon

Skills aside, on average it's obvious fitness isn't as vital in cricket as it is in most other sports. It is important no doubt, but it's not a pre requisite like it is in nearly everyother ball game.

Daemon

Skills aside, on average it's obvious fitness isn't as vital in cricket as it is in most other sports. It is important no doubt, but it's not a pre requisite like it is in nearly everyother ball game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't know about essential. It helps sure, and helps a lot. But lard-ass laden teams win matches at the top level in cricket whereas they wouldn't be able to in most other sports.

Obviously this is relative - we're talking about unfit compared to others sportsmen not unfit compared to a regular guy on the street (though sometimes I'm not even sure about that :p).
Because the top level isn't particularly big.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket getting seriously underrated when it comes to fitness by many here. When it's at it's most intense e.g Twenty20, there's no doubt it needs an extremely high level of cardio, speed, agilty and muscular endurance.

Think of Ali Cook last winter. Could he of achieved that if he wasn't a high level athlete?

Daemon

Cricket getting seriously underrated when it comes to fitness by many here. When it's at it's most intense e.g Twenty20, there's no doubt it needs an extremely high level of cardio, speed, agilty and muscular endurance.

Think of Ali Cook last winter. Could he of achieved that if he wasn't a high level athlete?
Most sportspersons will be able to cope with the physical demands of cricket easily though. Again, not saying it's not demanding, but rather that it's less so compared to other sports. The only exceptions are quick bowlers imo.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure if you spoke to most batsman, no matter the format, they would all say it is extremely demanding and takes alot out of you to play a long innings. You only had to look at Jonathan Trott during one of the WC games last year, he could bearly hit the ball off the square come the end of his innings.

Daemon

My point still stands. With a bit of training I'm pretty sure a football player would last 50 overs, barring concentration and batting skills of course. I'm not comparing players across sports, just speaking in general terms. I highly doubt someone like Sehwag will last 90 minutes on the soccer field and yet he's played a lot of long innings in cricket.

slowfinger

International Debutant
The fitness factor not only improves players' performances, but to crowds in other games, they almost 'sense' it, it makes the game a little but more exciting, and entertaining? Am I the only one who thinks this?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Daemon;2772123 Sehwag will last 90 minutes on the soccer field and yet he's played a lot of long innings in cricket.[/QUOTE said:
I'd hardly say Sehwag is the best example of physical and mental fitness when it comes to those playing long innings. He's a boundary player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd hardly say Sehwag is the best example of physical and mental fitness when it comes to those playing long innings. He's a boundary player.
The very fact that you can get away with being "a boundary player" kind of emphasises the point though.

Fitness helps, heaps. It's a massive asset. But unlike other sports it's not a requirement; you can get around it and while being unfit is a disadvantage it's not a fatal one.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because the top level isn't particularly big.
I don't know what that has to do with anything - teams with horrible fitness win on a regular basis. If most other sports (say football) had only 10 nations, the team with the level of fitness you see from the lower-fitness team would barely ever win anything. They would certainly be dead last in rankings.

Daemon

The very fact that you can get away with being "a boundary player" kind of emphasises the point though.

Fitness helps, heaps. It's a massive asset. But unlike other sports it's not a requirement; you can get around it and while being unfit is a disadvantage it's not a fatal one.
Agree with this. It's not a prerequisite as it is in most other sports.