• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

rza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I want to understand the logic as to why people rate Sobers way higher than Kallis as an all-rounder, and Donald way higher than Steyn, and why Graeme Pollock is rated so high when he didn't achieve anything Jonathan Trott or Michael Hussey didn't achieve at more or less the same number of tests.

I think stats-wise we know that Kallis is the equal of Sobers, but why do we rate Sobers higher? Is it because his team was the best in the world, or is it because none of us has seen him play, hence we rate him higher? We seem to rate oldies higher than we rate current players, except for Tendulkar and Warne, even though their stats don't back them up so maybe that's why we rate Sobers higher.

As for Steyn and Donald, since we watched them both, can anyone really say Donald was way better than Steyn? Or do we rate Donald higher because Steyn is still playing?

Graeme Pollock had an average of around 60 against mainly Australia, England and possible West Indies, big deal. Would we have rated Hussey higher had he retired at the same number of tests, which by then his stats were above 60 (stand for correction)? Jonathan Trott had probably the exact average at the same number of tests, so doesn't this show us that Pollock was not extraordinary?

I understand that we probably use each one's viewpoint to determine who was better, but can't we at least align our viewpoints to stats?

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't see why we have to align our viewpoints to stats. Certainly they're important, but raw stats like averages tend to flatten and iron out all the intricacies and subtleties which are so important to cricket and what a keen eye actually watching the game can immediately discern. They are called averages after all.

Certainly for one thing Pollock's average of 60 means a completely different thing to Hussey's average of 60 after a similar number of Tests.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite.

That, and there's the absurdity of suggesting anyone rates Pollock solely on his brief Test career.

rza

I don't see why we have to align our viewpoints to stats. Certainly they're important, but raw stats like averages tend to flatten and iron out all the intricacies and subtleties which are so important to cricket and what a keen eye actually watching the game can immediately discern. They are called averages after all.

Certainly for one thing Pollock's average of 60 means a completely different thing to Hussey's average of 60 after a similar number of Tests.
You mind explaining the difference between Hussey and Pollock's 60?

Of course there has to be personal opinion, but stats tell a lot of truth. We know Pattinson and Philander are good prospects and their stats confirm it, so it wouldn't be logical for someone to say Yadav is a better prospect even when stats disagree.

rza

Quite.

That, and there's the absurdity of suggesting anyone rates Pollock solely on his brief Test career.
I didn't watch Pollock, and you probably didn't as well, then how can we know that he was better than Hussey at a similar stage?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If only Trott was good enough to consistently score enough runs in county cricket to be selected in Tests and fail as a younger man, he'd be a much worse batsman.

Somehow.

Spark

Global Moderator
The quality of the attacks, the nature of the pitches, the timeframe across which the runs were scored (and hence how many "form windows" the sample size actually captures).

I mean otherwise if you're silly you end up with statements such as Samaraweera > Ponting, and, well...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The quality of the attacks, the nature of the pitches, the timeframe across which the runs were scored (and hence how many "form windows" the sample size actually captures).

I mean otherwise if you're silly you end up with statements such as Samaraweera > Ponting, and, well...
If we were judging them on say... who had suffered from the greatest level of black magic... then I would say that's a fair call.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Sobers is rated higher than Kallis pretty much because he isn't a **** tbh.

rza

We know Samaraweera is not better than Ponting and stats confirm it. Samaraweera stats outside subcontinent are horrible, and only slightly improving after the SA series. So once again stats confirm that point.

If nature of pitches counts, then can we safely Kallis should be rated way higher than most batsmen since he played 50% of his matches in South Africa - statistically the best bowling conditions in the world?

Does anybody have a view on why Donald is rated higher than Steyn?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah. I think people confusing rating players on stats/records with just looking at their overall career average and making a call on that. You can still analysing someone on purely a performance-based level and come up with a different conclusion to the Tests column in his cricinfo stats bio.

Spark

Global Moderator
We know Samaraweera is not better than Ponting and stats confirm it. Samaraweera stats outside subcontinent are horrible, and only slightly improving after the SA series. So once again stats confirm that point.

If nature of pitches counts, then can we safely Kallis should be rated way higher than most batsmen since he played 50% of his matches in South Africa - statistically the best bowling conditions in the world?

See but what you've done there is come to a conclusion based on what you see with your own eyes then find stats to back it up. Which is fine, but that's my point - you're not relying on stats to come up with the conclusion, you're actually relying on people watching cricket.

Don't get me wrong, stats are amazingly useful and I'll happily pull up statsguru filters to make a specific point, but you have to be very aware of the limitations of what you're trying to say and more importantly what your stat doesn't say.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Donald is rated higher than Steyn because he maintained an extremely similar standard of performance over a longer period. Rightly so too; ten years of Donald is worth more than six years or Steyn. I reckon Steyn will be rated the better bowler by the time he retires.

Mike5181

International Captain
Quite.

Well, to be fair to Michael Hussey. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his first class career in what was arguably one of the strongest periods of Australian cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, to be fair to Michael Hussey. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his first class career in what was arguably one of the strongest periods of Australian cricket.
A lot of it is bashing weak county attacks tbf. How much I'm not sure.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Hussey and Symonds should've been picked for 2005 Ashes tour. Hussey would've fit in and had a bigger, better record had he been in a lot earlier.

rza

See but what you've done there is come to a conclusion based on what you see with your own eyes then find stats to back it up. Which is fine, but that's my point - you're not relying on stats to come up with the conclusion, you're actually relying on people watching cricket.
Don't get me wrong, stats are amazingly useful and I'll happily pull up statsguru filters to make a specific point, but you have to be very aware of the limitations of what you're trying to say and more importantly what your stat doesn't say.
This is my main issue. Did you see Sobers? If not, then what is it that makes you rate him higher than Kallis since all you have is stats, and video clips with a camera 50 meters away from the wicket?