• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
He doesn't get stick. He's a soulless accumulator and an effective one. He deserves respect for that, but as I said, I can't recall ever being worried he was going to hurt us. Fmd I used to worry more about Chris Cairns against us than I ever did Kallis.
Have you even watched him bat in the last 5 years? He is as elegant as anyone, cover drives, straight drives, strokes through the on side. Bats with poise, grace and effortless timing. Doesn't overbalance, look ugly, or graft runs in a "soul-less" fashion by any means.

It must be noted that he now scores at a much greater rate than before. Without ever seeming forced or hurried. SR 60 over the last 10 Tests vs Ponting SR 50. So much for perceptions being up to date.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the Aussies in particular, and to an extent the English fans, don't rate Kallis as highly as maybe he should be.
Clearly because they're the two countries who don't appreciate good test cricket and only want to see huge sixes and strike rates of over 150+ due to watching too much limited overs cricket.

:ph34r: :p

Kallis has a gun record against England anyway doesn't he?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clearly because they're the two countries who don't appreciate good test cricket and only want to see huge sixes and strike rates of over 150+ due to watching too much limited overs cricket.

:ph34r: :p

Kallis has a gun record against England anyway doesn't he?
Terrible record in England though

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have you even watched him bat in the last 5 years? He is as elegant as anyone, cover drives, straight drives, strokes through the on side. Bats with poise, grace and effortless timing. Doesn't overbalance, look ugly, or graft runs in a "soul-less" fashion by any means.

It must be noted that he now scores at a much greater rate than before. Without ever seeming forced or hurried. SR 60 over the last 10 Tests vs Ponting SR 50. So much for perceptions being up to date.
So the bloke who earlier regarded 57 tests as a "good patch" now seeks to rely on ten tests as an indicator of the way players bat.

Back to the spreadsheet mate.

HeathDavisSpeed

Terrible record in England though
And Ponting, for example (as I've got his stats open) has a worse record than that in India. Kallis' record in India better by some margin than Ponting's in England. You can always find a hole in anyone's record if you try hard enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Burgey out of curiosity do you have Dravid and Sanga ahead of Kallis?

Batting only obviously.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

10 Tests? You should have said earlier, that completely over-rides the 15 years before that.

Burgey

Would do unspeakable things for 18 there.

Would even support Victoria in something.
My pupil master has a brother who owns a string of pubs in BC, he plays there pretty regularly when he head over. Said there's some sensational tracks over there.

Burgey

Burgey out of curiosity do you have Dravid and Sanga ahead of Kallis?

Batting only obviously.
Yeah I do tbh.

Edit: only to the third decimal place though. After that Kallis takes over

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And Ponting, for example (as I've got his stats open) has a worse record than that in India. Kallis' record in India better by some margin than Ponting's in England. You can always find a hole in anyone's record if you try hard enough.
True.

However, we tend to judge players based on what they do against your own team, so Kallis' **** record in England is more relevant than Ponting's **** record in India.

Jarquis

Oh yeah, of course. It's not about holes in records though, per se. It's about where those holes are.
Kallis struggled in England, so it could be said that England fans underrate him.
Ponting struggled hugely in India, so they could be forgiven for underrating him is GF's point, I assume.

benchmark00

My pupil master has a brother who owns a string of pubs in BC, he plays there pretty regularly when he head over. Said there's some sensational tracks over there.
Planning on being in BC later on in the year. Will have to have a few hits.

Burgey

You haven't presented a counter argument to either point tbf :ph34r:
They're contradictory. X averages 70 over 57 tests = just a purple patch.

Y has a strike rate of 50 over 10 tests proves he's far from just an accumulator.

So again, back to the spread sheet please.

Last edited: