• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Momentum - Does it Exist?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't believe in "momentum" unless it's meant as a synonym for form or confidence (which themselves are far from the same thing), however I think a lot of people mean it totally differently from those two words.

I’m as certain as you can be that confidence affects performance, purely from personal experience. Being confident (or “in form” if you like) by no means guarantees that you will perform well though, merely makes it more likely.

yea thats what i was saying. :)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I can understand the idea within a game. But not between matches. It's simply buzzword for players to use in order to describe "playing well" or "form".
This! Within a game it definitely plays a part i.e. good end to the first innings and a good start to the second, but not between matches. Long breaks kill momentum.

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
To me, this thread is hilarious, because I'm a Kiwi living in North America, and in North America I hear "momentum" used the exact same way as we use "form" back in New Zealand, and then after that experience, I come into this thread and see some people having tried to say that they're two different things.

Not calling them wrong, but it's just funny to read after I built up that mindset after three years in the United States (since I'm often trying to "translate" Americanisms back into my "native dialect").

smash84

The Tiger King
yes, there is lots of momentum in cricket

F = (mv)/t

(mv)=Ft

Force is simply rate of momentum i.e. when a batsman hits a shot or a bowler runs in or bowls you see lots of momentum :ph34r: