• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian all-rounder position

vicpride29

Cricket Spectator
Since the world cup Australia have solven that huge all-rounder problem. Harvey has been brillant and Symonds great as we have i believe setteled on an All-rounder rotation policy. Harvey will pay to cover any injury of a bowler or batsman. And Symonds is a full time batter now.

Ian Harvey's figures since the world cup.
Batting
18.43 AVE with a highest score of 47.
Bowling
21.05 with RPO at 4.34.

Symonds
Batting
55.36 with a highest score of 143.
Bowling
46.57 with RPO at 4.87.

2 questions, what happens to Watson and could Symonds and Harvey both be in the best 11.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Watson will come back hes the best all rounder, symods is dine with the bat and not so good with the ball, harvey should be dropped drom teh squad, hes an average bwoler at the best of times, and hes nto much of a batsman at all

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yeah im with you mate, harvey has not been brilliant, infact he never has been. greg blewett would be a better allrounder then him.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
Yeah im with you mate, harvey has not been brilliant, infact he never has been. greg blewett would be a better allrounder then him.
Oh Mr P how i love you for that comment... :D :D :D :D

AndrewC

Banned
Why haven't they brought Watson back yet? He's playing for Tasmania. Mabey they though Harvey and Symonds were better...

Mr. P

Welcome to the forums AndrewC:)

Watson has only just recovered from his injury...

They haven't brought Watto back because he can't make the Australian side on his batting alone. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a big fan of Watson. But without his bowling they simply won't consider him.

Especially with scores in the ING cup of 14 and 10 so far, eh? :P

deeps

International 12th Man
watson is crap..come on,wake up,he's uselss..always will b useless...

the answer to our all rounder position is already in the team

brad hogg...he's already shown he can bowl...and some of us who've seen him play for WA , know he can bat...he's got a highest score of 71 in ODI's, avg of 21...i know that's not that good..he's got 2 first class centuries and 15 fifties to his name at an avg of 30...which is good!

he's starting to find his feet with the bat at international level...he made that decent knock against india,where he made about 29...that was a good innings

play hoggie as an allrounder,and we can play an extra batsman over symonds and harvey .

symonds world cup innings against **** was good...but other than that,he sucked...he won't do that agian,it was a fluke

bring swaugh back! he's a champ

Mr. P

Welcome to the forums as well deeps.:)

You raise some interesting points. But i have to say, you cant be serious in thinking how Symonds played in the WC was a fluke? He was superb and nothing less.

Clarke's not a bad bowler...
Better batsman than Hogg, too.

And Deeps, I was born and raised in WA so don't accuse me of a bias against Hogg :P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr. Ponting said:
Welcome to the forums as well deeps.:)

You raise some interesting points. But i have to say, you cant be serious in thinking how Symonds played in the WC was a fluke? He was superb and nothing less.
And then Symonds batted superbly in the West Indies...

Slats4ever

How could you possbily even consider dropping Symonds after his world cup! with our depth with the ball we only need 5 overs out've him with guys like Clarke, Katich, Boof and Martyn all in the squad.
The bloke was by far our best in the World Cup and belongs in the side.
THe only player whose close to getting in the side other than that is Blewett. I think Blewett should replace the injured Lehmann in the OD side

Mr Mxyzptlk

Blewy said:
Was last nights bowling good enough for you Marc?
:P :P :P :P
He bowled well, but was a bit too short at times. Also, Tendulkar and Dravid really gave their wickets away. Overall it was a good spell though, considering he's short on work.

Don't argue with 4/42. That, my friend would be the cardinal sin.

The end justifies the means, I think. :D

Either way, you're not going to get radar pin point accuracy with a part timer, or an allrounder as the case may be. But if they're going to have a game where they pick up 4 wickets then there's obviously some talent there that Australia can use.

It's just a shame he had to come to the crease late in the innings and be run out! :!(

Mr. P

4/42 is excellent, well bowled clarkey!:) Btw Symonds once again proved himself with the bat, this 'fluke' idea is really digging a hole for itself.:P

Mr Mxyzptlk

furious_ged said:
Don't argue with 4/42. That, my friend would be the cardinal sin.

The end justifies the means, I think. :D

Either way, you're not going to get radar pin point accuracy with a part timer, or an allrounder as the case may be. But if they're going to have a game where they pick up 4 wickets then there's obviously some talent there that Australia can use.

It's just a shame he had to come to the crease late in the innings and be run out! :!(
I'm not discrediting his 4 wickets, I'm just saying that we shouldn't read too much into it. It was a very composed spell though.