• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is Dirk Nannes going to get out of touring with the Australian team though? Nothing. Having Cummins just around the team will be beneficial for him.

Cummins is only 18, he has plenty of time to play shielf cricket. A non issue for mine.
I just think it's silly to have him on the sidelines for a month, missing cricket, when he shouldn't even been there. Overall this recent trend of picking 5 seamers is a bit weird and annoying to me. it wasn't so bad in SL 'cause Pattinson wasn't missing much. (uh bar his entire pre-season) but now Cummins will actually be missing cricket. What are they, paranoid about Dougeh and Lee dropping dead or something?! Likewise I'm paranoid as **** Pattinson will be picked in the test squad, as the extra, extra seamer, and miss even more time.

benchmark00

I just think it's silly to have him on the sidelines for a month, missing cricket, when he shouldn't even been there. Overall this recent trend of picking 5 seamers is a bit weird and annoying to me. it wasn't so bad in SL 'cause Pattinson wasn't missing much. (uh bar his entire pre-season) but now Cummins will actually be missing cricket. What are they, paranoid about Dougeh and Lee dropping dead or something?! Likewise I'm paranoid as **** Pattinson will be picked in the test squad, as the extra, extra seamer, and miss even more time.
It's not like they sit on their arses and don't touch a cricket ball on tour bro.

People are weird, all our seamers break down and people are all like 'Manage them properly ffs!' then when management decide to take a cautious approach and not run them into the ground it's all like 'they need to bowl more!!!'.

Tough gig.

Spikey

yeah but even if injury strikes Cummins isn't the 5th best ODI bowler in the country is he? He might not even be the 5th best ODI in the state. Now I'm not all against it - means we won't be forced to play Cummins for awhile yet - but I just don't understand why we're bothering. I'm just sick of rewarding these hot young players with squad places after a couple good matches. Remember when we did that to Moises? And look how that's helped him...

Personally my bigger problem is Warner. I mean that ton in the A tour final was probably his first good OD knock since those two tons against Tassie years ago!

Last edited:

benchmark00

yeah but even if injury strikes Cummins isn't the 5th best ODI bowler in the country is he? He might not even be the 5th best ODI in the state. Now I'm not all against it - means we won't be forced to play Cummins for awhile yet - but I just don't understand why we're bothering. I'm just sick of rewarding these hot young players with squad places after a couple good matches. Remember when we did that to Moises? And look how that's helped him...

Personally my bigger problem is Warner. I mean that ton in the A tour final was probably his first good OD knock since those two tons against Tassie years ago!
Remember when we did that to Ponting and Clarke?

Cummins 4 captain.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just on Cummins, who is to say that he would make the NSW Shield team? Copeland plus Starc, Clark and Hazlewood could all potentially be playing, I don't have a problem at all with him playing T20, but the ODI selection is a little left-field, same with Dave Warner.

It's pretty hard for the selectors to balance who stays at home for Shield or who goes on overseas tours, perhaps the selectors want Ferguson scoring runs for SACA, because I would have picked him and not Warner for the ODIs.

Happy for Bollinger too.

Spark

Global Moderator

Cummins 4 captain.
Both at least a few seasons of Shield cricket under their belt IIRC, they weren't exactly FC greenhorns.

---

I hear that ABdV might be out. That would be an amazing stroke of luck if true.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I hear that ABdV might be out. That would be an amazing stroke of luck if true.
This could test out South Africa's issues with backup for their key players, if he misses out. Would it be Duminy coming in for him?

iamdavid

International Debutant

Cummins 4 captain.
Ponting had been in the state system for 3 years and scored mountains of runs in that time. Clarke's FC numbers weren't great but he'd still been playing shield cricket for NSW regularly for a couple of years and his one day numbers were very good when he was initially picked for the ODI side.

Cummins has played 12 games for NSW, most of them T20s, he's taken 21 wickets.

Top_Cat

Completely agree with Benchy, it's different for bowlers. Young quick with potential who's a strong chance to play for Australia in the future, getting him in the set-up early is unlikely to be anything other than beneficial. Jason Gillespie went to a World Cup and was never in with a chance of playing. Was just as much a left-field selection but it only helped him.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Surely better keepers than Haddin around in ANY form of the game. Waste of space as a keeper.Would be lucky to rank him in the top 100 of all time.

Spikey

we don't pick keepers on keeping anymore

in any case he had a really good tour of SL on that front. In the tests anyway. Only one drop iirc, when he was standing up to copeland with a tailender in

Briony

International Debutant
So looks like de Villiers will at least miss the limited overs matches. SA captains don't have much luck with their hands.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So looks like de Villiers has already got the curse of South African captains and broken fingers. Graeme Smith had the most fragile fingers ever and lets hope de Villiers hasn't got the same problem.

BlazeDragon

Banned
So looks like de Villiers will at least miss the limited overs matches. SA captains don't have much luck with their hands.
:no: That would really suck. Was really looking forward to it.

Still can't believe the Aussies picked Smith again and gave him a place above Dussey. Sure Dussey pretty much failed thought the whole series the final ODI but still wasn't as bad as Smith. Also I have no idea why they are not picking Ferguson.

Briony

International Debutant
AB out for 4-6 weeks apparently after having surgery. Touch and go for the tests.

IPL hasn't been kind to SA in recent years. Amla as vice-capt. will probably take the reins for limited overs. Aust. could move into favouritism now as their batting could be weaker in all forms.