• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 cricketers from any province

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't pay much attention to domestic cricket and often know very little about which province in a country do certain cricketers come. For that matter, I can't even tell which countries Sobers, Viv and Marshall come from. So I am curious to know which provinces have produced which great cricketers, hence this thread. Basically pick any province or county of your choice (or country in case of West Indian cricketers) and name the top 5 cricketers from that province/county/country. Feel free to add stats/anecdotes from domestic cricket to support your choices. Look forward to gathering interesting info from this thread!

salman85

International Debutant
Are we judging players on their domestic performances here?or international performances?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Are we judging players on their domestic performances here?or international performances?
Anything would do. Start with provinces of Pakistan. Keen to know who are the best Pakistani cricketers from outside Punjab. Miandad comes from Sindh, who else?

pskov

International 12th Man
Surrey would give anyone a run for their money

Jack Hobbs
John Edrich
Peter May
Ken Barrington
Graeme Thorpe
Tom Hayward
Alec Stewart+
Jim Laker
Alec Bedser
Tom Richardson
George Lohmann

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did we not have a thread on this a couple of years ago?

An all time Barbados team would maul most opposition, given the insane amount of great fast bowlers produced.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, would have thought Barbados and NSW were the top two, though that Surrey side there from pskov would be competitive against anyone.

SeamUp

International Coach
We did have a thread like this a few years ago. Its nearly impossible trying to pick an XI never mind only 5 players.

From South Africa...Western Province (now Cobras), Natal (now Dolphins) and the old Transvaal (now Highveld Lions) would have some teams as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We did have a thread like this a few years ago. Its nearly impossible trying to pick an XI never mind only 5 players.

From South Africa...Western Province (now Cobras), Natal (now Dolphins) and the old Transvaal (now Highveld Lions) would have some teams as well.
I thought I have come up with a very unique idea for a thread :unsure:

Do tell us what would those team look like, btw.

SeamUp

International Coach
I thought I have come up with a very unique idea for a thread :unsure:

Do tell us what would those team look like, btw.
It was a cracking thread at the time and no shame in starting it again.

I would have to think about the teams before putting it up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not including foreigners obv but just a quick guestemation.

WP/Cobras

Gary Kirsten
Graeme Smith
Peter Kirsten
Jacqus Kallis
Ken McEwan or Herschelle Gibbs
Eddie Barlow (*)
Brian McMillan
Paul Kirsten or Gavin Pfuhl (+)
Garth Le Roux
Stephen Jefferies or Craig Matthews
Denys Hobson

best foreigners: Desmond Haynes, Graham Gooch and John Emburey...Alan Lamb if you can count him as a foreigner....hehe. Grew up right by Newlands. Haha even old Trotty boy lived a stones throw away from Newlands and now he is ICC cricketer of year.

Old Transvaal now Lions

Jimmy Cook
Bruce Mitchell
Eric Rowan or Daryll Cullinan
Graeme Pollock
Clive Rice (*)
Aubrey Faulkner
Jonny Waite (+)
Neil Adcock
Peter Heine
Rupert Hanley
Vince Van der Bijl

best foreingers: Alvin Kallicharran, Sylvester Clarke

Natal/Dolphins

Barry Richards
Herby Taylor or Jackie McGlew
Hashim Amla
Dudley Nourse (*)
Jonty Rhodes
Lee Irvine (+)
Trevor Goddard or Lance Klusener
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock
Peter Pollock
Hugh Tayfield

best foreigners: Malcolm Marshall

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
NSW team would depend on the eligibility criteria, really. Would we be allowed to pick Border and Gilchrist?
Yes, both were born in New South Wales, played all their under-age cricket in New South Wales and made their FC debut for New South Wales. As far as I'm concerned both players owe their development to New South Wales cricket, regardless of the fact that they spent most of their adult careers representing other states; I'm not sure about Border (I suspect international players would have spent more time playing Shield Cricket in Border's day) but Gilchrist barely represented Western Australia once he'd nailed his spot in the Test side.

pskov

International 12th Man
Conrad Hunte
Gordon Greenidge
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott
Frank Worrell*
Garry Sobers
David Murray+
Malcolm Marshall
Charlie Griffith
Wes Hall
Joel Garner

vs

Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman*
Steve Waugh
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist+
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

I'd say NSW just about shade it.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, both were born in New South Wales, played all their under-age cricket in New South Wales and made their FC debut for New South Wales. As far as I'm concerned both players owe their development to New South Wales cricket, regardless of the fact that they spent most of their adult careers representing other states; I'm not sure about Border (I suspect international players would have spent more time playing Shield Cricket in Border's day) but Gilchrist barely represented Western Australia once he'd nailed his spot in the Test side.
Well does Miller count? I didn't include him on my list but I'm pretty sure he played a lot more cricket for NSW than Victoria despite the latter being his home state.

pskov

International 12th Man
In fact an all-time NSW second XI would be pretty handy too.

Bob Simpson
Archie Jackson
Neil Harvey
Stan McCabe
Doug Walters
Monty Noble
Richie Benaud*
Bert Oldfield+
Jeff Thomson
Charlie Turner
Fred Spofforth