• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Dale Steyn become the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets?

cnerd123

likes this
Fantastic achievement for a fast bowler who has bowled so much in the Modern Era, with big bats, flat pitches, short boundaries, intense schedules...terrific effort.

Surely he'll be the fastest in terms of days taken too yea?

SeamUp

International Coach
Fantastic achievement for a fast bowler who has bowled so much in the Modern Era, with big bats, flat pitches, short boundaries, intense schedules...terrific effort.

Surely he'll be the fastest in terms of days taken too yea?
Been relatively injury free so wouldn't surprise me if so with the modern era scheduling.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Really hope he doesn't take a wicket in the first six overs.

Will be devastated if Waqar does not hold on to that one. :(

Flem274*

123/5
If Dale Steyn gets his 300th test wicket within 24 balls against the Black Caps at Newlands he will be the quickest to 300 in terms of balls bowled.

Currently...

Steyn 299 wickets in 12 578 balls
Waqar Younis 12 602 balls
Allan Donald 13 690 balls
Malcolm Marshall 13 755 balls

In terms of matches he will equal Sir Richard Hadlee and Malcolm Marshall with 61 matches.

Lillee with 56 matches and Murali 58 matches.
Really hope he doesn't take a wicket in the first six overs.

Will be devastated if Waqar does not hold on to that one. :(
Bearing in mind the pair he will bowl to it looks pretty likely he'll get it.

Satyanash89

Banned
300 wickets in 60 matches... almost 5 wpm.... WAG!
If he keeps up his pace for 4-5 more years i wont hesitate putting him over Donald as the best SA quick. Easily the best bowler of a really barren generation...

Flem274*

123/5
I might be in a minority here, but since I judge players based on how they've done relative to their peers the great Australian bowling attack of the 00s, Murali, Pollock, Steyn etc get huge ticks in my ATG ratings. The 00s was one of the most batsman friendly eras ever and there were still guys gunning it. Absolute heroes.

I'm tipping the bowlers to bounce back in the current decade though.

edit: in fact, if I were to be completely objective I'd lock McGrath in at number one in my ATG quicks. Consistently made the multitude of 50+ batsmen around in the 00s look like Marto.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he keeps up his pace for 4-5 more years i wont hesitate putting him over Donald as the best SA quick. Easily the best bowler of a really barren generation...
Comfortably. When you consider that Zaheer and Anderson are rated as 2 of the best behind him and they average over 30 it shows how good Steyn is. In time Philander may be better but he needs to prove it over a longer period. Such a shame Asif was a plank.

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
4-5 years? A year or two should be enough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd rate Steyn and Donald about equal if Steyn retired right now, and that's coming from a big longevity advocate. Even if he declined a little from what he's shown so far but managed to keep contributing to the team for another couple of years that'd be enough for me to put him ahead of Donald.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
steyn is already an ATG imo

i don;t know what more he needs to do in this batting era besides perhaps another couple more years of excellent bowling..to be seen as an ATG by everyone

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
actually i'd rate donald higher right now, given the fact that he missed his first few yrs of international cricket due to the problems in SA.

his international career began when he was 26....so we didn't get to see him when he would've undoubtedly been lightning quick ..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We all like to rate past greats by how others went around them, to do the same with Steyn would show just how far ahead he is

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's the WPM figure that really sets him apart in my books. He has always been in strong bowling attacks, so like Marshall, to have such a high wpm figure is a huge plus on his resume.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't realise he was averaging close to 30 for the year. And his strike rate is way up as a result, taking him nearly 10 overs per wicket.