• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoffrey Boycott: ICC's Dream XI is a joke - it has no credibility

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
The greatest team of all time? You must be joking. It is so biased it has no credibility. It takes no account of the history of the game and the great players of the past.

Geoffrey Boycott: ICC's Dream XI is a joke - it has no credibility - Telegraph

Geoffrey Boycott's Dream XI

Jack Hobbs

Len Hutton

Donald Bradman

George Headley

Viv Richards

Garry Sobers

Alan Knott

Sydney Barnes

Malcolm Marshall

Shane Warne

Dennis Lillee

ICC Dream XI

Virender Sehwag

Sunil Gavaskar

Donald Bradman

Sachin Tendulkar

Brian Lara

Kapil Dev

Adam Gilchrist

Shane Warne

Wasim Akram

Curtly Ambrose

Glenn McGrath

Andre

International Regular
Dare I say, Boycs is right.

Only suprise in his XI is that he didn't pick himself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dare I say, Boycs is right.

Only suprise in his XI is that he didn't pick himself.
Haha yeah AWTA.

I don't fully agree with Boycott's XI at all either but I prefer it to the ICC one. If you assume the team is going to be playing at a level far beyond Test cricket against an opposition roughly as strong as itself, though, Boycott sure has picked a bloody long tail.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, I appreciate Knott's far from the best batsman ever. But one of Marshall/Warne are pretty reasonable as 8/9 come.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
And he must not forget that this XI was selected by the fans.So it was obvious that some players from the long past would be excluded.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm, I appreciate Knott's far from the best batsman ever. But one of Marshall/Warne are pretty reasonable as 8/9 come.
A 7/8/9 of Knott, Marshall and Warne would probably only be par at best even in a regular Test match. An All-Time World XI is two whole levels above that (Era World XIs being the step in between, or All-Time National XIs if you want to look at the other way). It'd essentially be the equivalent of calling up three blokes averaging 32, 19 and 17 in weekend club cricket to bat 7, 8 and 9 in a Test. I reckon they'd all be at least one spot too high at this level, if not two in whoever-bats-eight's case.

It's a pretty common gripe I have with ATWXIs though - that they just automatically assume a position of great strength and do away with proper balancing options. It's nothing compared to the gripe I have with picking Sehwag and Kapil so thumbs up to Sir Geoffrey. :p

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A 7/8/9 of Knott, Marshall and Warne would probably only be par at best even in a regular Test match. An All-Time World XI is two whole levels above that (Era World XIs being the step in between, or All-Time National XIs if you want to look at the other way). It'd essentially be the equivalent of calling up three blokes averaging 32, 19 and 17 in weekend club cricket to bat 7, 8 and 9 in a Test. I reckon they'd all be at least one spot too high at this level, if not two in whoever-bats-eight's case.

It's a pretty common gripe I have with ATWXIs though - that they just automatically assume a position of great strength and do away with proper balancing options. It's nothing compared to the gripe I have with picking Sehwag and Kapil so thumbs up to Sir Geoffrey. :p
Nah, I appreciate where you're coming from but a lot of people don't consider it like that.
The point I was making was from the perspective of Boycott choosing that team, he wouldn't have considered it a weak tail. It's not like he picked Knott, Murali, McGrath, Lillee and Barnes for example.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Boycott's XI doesn't even have Tendulkar.What a joke.
it would help if u read the article. he says that he does not want to pick someone still playing. but that tendulkar would make it into his team once he retires. the question is...at whose expense? headley or richards?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, I appreciate where you're coming from but a lot of people don't consider it like that.
The point I was making was from the perspective of Boycott choosing that team, he wouldn't have considered it a weak tail. It's not like he picked Knott, Murali, McGrath, Lillee and Barnes for example.
Yeah, as I said, it's extremely common gripe I have with a lot of all-time teams, but it's nothing compared to some of the WTF fan choices.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Boycott's XI doesn't even have Tendulkar.What a joke.
no 10dulkar? ****ing joke
I'm expecting to be berated a bit for this, but I don't see why Tendulkar should be an automatic pick.

I'm not saying Boycott is right or wrong not to pick him, I'm just saying that, in my view, it's perfectly acceptable for people not to pick him.

Other than Bradman, I don't think anybody is far enough ahead of their peers that it merits calling someone wrong for not putting that player in their team.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Boycott's eleven has just as much credibility as the ICC one, tbh.

And i would say, It's just as biased as the ICC one hypothetically.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm expecting to be berated a bit for this, but I don't see why Tendulkar should be an automatic pick.

I'm not saying Boycott is right or wrong not to pick him, I'm just saying that, in my view, it's perfectly acceptable for people not to pick him.

Other than Bradman, I don't think anybody is far enough ahead of their peers that it merits calling someone wrong for not putting that player in their team.
Yeah AWTA. The last time I did an ATWXI, it didn't contain Tendulkar. I've since admired his longevity a lot more than I had previously and started to value that commodity a bit more as I rate players in general, so I may include him now, but he's definitely not an automatic pick.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain

sobers.