• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pankaj Singh

Does Pankaj Singh deserve to play for India currently??

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't he get an opportunity for India once, and fail to perform?

Whatever I've seen of him, he doesn't look Test-class. Decent, maybe, but about as decent as Kleinveldt. I don't think he will make a huge difference to the bowling attack really.

And the selectors have this thing where they kinda peg some players are 'not being good enough', even if they dominate at Ranji level. And I guess Pankaj's brief flirtation with the national side where he didn't do really well might have confirmed that suspicion for them.
One opportunity. Not enough. Compare that to the number of games Dinda, Mithun, Tyagi, and an over-the-hill Sreesanth got. Honestly, instead of wasting space on the likes of this batch of mediocrity, or a struggling Ishant and Zaheer, this is the only option. He may not look Test class, but he's leagues ahead of any pace bowler we've seen playing for India, bar Zaheer and Umesh. At least his fitness and accuracy will make a difference, and will last longer than Ishant, who goes poof after eleven overs.

The selectors have picked a series of teams that lost eight Test matches abroad, and are in danger of losing a Test series at home. Clearly not the smartest people in office.

cnerd123

likes this
Not saying it's right to ignore him. You asked what's stopping the selectors. Gave you a possible reason. Not saying it's right, but yea, that's probably what it is. They have him pegged as 'not good enough for India' and have left it at that.

They've done that to a lot of decent players in the past. Badrinath, Kaif, Sandeep Singh, Muzdamar, off the top of my head.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sandeep Singh is a stretch. He's an average wicketkeeper for Haryana.

You say that Pankaj was dropped because of one tour where he played one match that didn't go right. But now, there's a much better chance of making the Test and ODI side, as India will lose Zaheer and Ishant, and that dwarf Dinda is utter rubbish and has failed across ten ODIs he's got- and cost India one Asia cup too. Clearly, a job for Pankaj Singh. Nothing to suggest he's not good enough for India, on current form.

Pankaj v/s Dinda- Pankaj is taller, bowls faster, has a better domestic record, stays fitter, and is also better in the tail end.

Pankaj v/s Ishant- Pankaj has been playing more active cricket and is in better form, and also fitter.

Pankaj v/s Mithun- Since when has Mithun done anything special outside that 2009-10 season?

Pankaj v/s Vinay- This was one where Pankaj fell back a little, but he's now catching up with Vinay in the domestic scene, and he's better built for fast bowling, and also fitter.

Pankaj v/s Aaron- Fitter. Doesn't get injured.

Pankaj v/s Unadkat- You're comparing a lion to a housecat here.

cnerd123

likes this
Again, not disagreeing with you. Just stating a possible reason. Take the comparisons to those who make the selections, not me.

I'm looking for that offpsinner in a turban...I though Sandeep Singh was his name but clearly I was wrong. Any idea who I was referring too? Was prolific domestically but barely got opportunities for India.

EDIT: Found him. Sarandeep Singh.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/34211.html

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sandy's problem was that he played in the same era as Kumble, Harbhajan and Murali Kartik, and didn't offer much to be useful. He had no chance of breaking that bastion. Pankaj, on the other hand, has virtually no bastion to break, with only Umesh Yadav and the oft-injured Varun Aaron being good enough at the moment.

cnerd123

likes this
A lot of mediocre spinners did get picked over him TBF.

There are some other good spinners out there who were overlooked for the likes of Chauhan and such; forgetting the names now, someone did a nice article on this guy who was a pretty good spinner but never got many opportunities while they were there as the selectors didn't favour him.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Hirwani take a 16-fer on debut but only received fleeting opportunities afterwards?

smash84

The Tiger King
A lot of mediocre spinners did get picked over him TBF.

There are some other good spinners out there who were overlooked for the likes of Chauhan and such; forgetting the names now, someone did a nice article on this guy who was a pretty good spinner but never got many opportunities while they were there as the selectors didn't favour him.
venkathapathy raju :ph34r:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pankaj has competition from Parvinder Awana, but with Umesh Yadav injured, Varun Aaron still injured and Ishant Sharma being woefully out of form (and Dinda being utter rubbish), I wouldn't be surprised if this Delhi-Rajasthan pair opened the bowling for India. At least here, you can usher in wholesale changes.

Daemon

Our bowling probably = NZ batting atm. We keep trying to chop and change it, but in the end it all comes down to the fact that we just don't have 4 good test class bowlers.

Not saying we shouldn't bother to give ourselves the best chance by putting the best 4 forward obv.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin and Zak, when they're bowling well, are Test Class.
Ashwin has a long way to go bowling wise to be considered top class IMO. His action and bowling style is better suited to the shorter formats, so he'll have to work a bit harder in tests and find a way to succeed.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
zaheer khan is finished guys. he's what 34/35 and has been slow for the past 2 yrs and therefore ineffective.

Daemon

He's actually been faster than what he was during his brief rise to the top 5 pace bowlers in the world.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He's actually been faster than what he was during his brief rise to the top 5 pace bowlers in the world.
i don't know about that

but the fact is that he did nothing in the 3 matches.

it's almost like the ponting, tendulkar discussion.

"why drop when no one better"

i personally believe they have made the right call given that zaheer is also an uncommitted player from what i have heard so is a bad influence.

Last edited:

Daemon

Zaheer is miles ahead of Ishant and Dinda though.

He's bowled some good probing spells in this series, don't forget he had Cook dropped on 17 before he added 120 to that as well. Dhoni just hasn't given him lengthy spells with the new ball and in general has just handled him terribly. He's unfit and isn't producing results, sure, but he's still the best pace bowler available. You always put your best XI on the park, especially in such an important game where if we lose, it'll be one of the biggest humiliations in Indian cricket history.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer is miles ahead of Ishant and Dinda though.

He's bowled some good probing spells in this series, don't forget he had Cook dropped on 17 before he added 120 to that as well. Dhoni just hasn't given him lengthy spells with the new ball and in general has just handled him terribly. He's unfit and isn't producing results, sure, but he's still the best pace bowler available.
unfit?
if that is the case then he deserved to be dropped. no room for players who are this irresponsible.

slectors have made a much needed positive statement with his axing.
now if others don't perform, they too will be thrown out.

yes ishant and dinda are worse bowlers and i hope only one of them plays.