• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Beautiful moments on the cricket field

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In light of the slight increase in bashing and negativity on the forum of late, I've decided we'll have a positive thread to balance the ledger, so to speak. So I want to hear about beautiful moments on the cricket field in international competitions you've seen and discuss the ones below. That's all. :)

Three examples:

2000 - Shoaib was treated horribly by the ICC and Australian media during the Pakistani tour here. When he was finally approved to play in the opening match at the 'Gabba, he bowled his first over and (I think) picked up a wicket or at least bowled a couple of decent deliveries. When he waslked to fine-leg, the crowd there gave him a sympathetic round of applause as a sort-of "Good on you for coming through." gesture. Shoaib acknowledged the crowd with a prayer salute and mouthed "Thank you" to them.

2000 - Justin Langer was walking off having just been dimissed for 127 against Pakistan in Hobart with Australia only a few runs from victory. Langer and Gilchrist (in only his second Test, no less) led Australia to a famous victory against a strong Pakistani side and his Dad applauded him all the way off. As he neared the player's walkway, his Dad came over and gave him a big hug and kiss as he walked into the dressingroom and then, in true Aussie Dad fashion, walked off as if nothing had happened. Priceless. :)

2003 - Kenya in every wicket they took in their win against Sri Lanka in the 2003 WC, were dancing for joy literally, especially since Collins Obuya was the one taking most of the wickets. It was amazing to see them go into a huddle after every wicket and 'bounce' for joy. Realistically, Kenya were a joy to watch in the WC in general, especially considering the boycotts going on, Warnie's positive drug test, etc. The tournament was ripe for an underdog team to do well (or at least compete) and Kenya filled the breach.

masterblaster

International Captain
2001 - India v Australia, Kolkata, after VVS Laxman notched up a 200 then his 250, every Australian went up to him and shook his hand and gave him a good pat on the back. A great gesture

2002 - India v England, after saving the test match for India, 17 year old Parthiv Patel was given a standing ovation by the crowd and Nasser Hussain and Sourav Ganguly allowed this young boy to lead the two teams back into the dressing rooms.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Sorry Top cat, but why do you think "Shoaib was treated horribly by the ICC and Australian media during the Pakistani tour" in 2000?
I fail to see the argument for that statement.

Top_Cat

Sorry Top cat, but why do you think "Shoaib was treated horribly by the ICC and Australian media during the Pakistani tour" in 2000?
I fail to see the argument for that statement.
Being accused of throwing, being cleared and still being tainted comes readily to mind. In my mind (having studied footage of him and read the Uni of WA's report) I have no doubt he doesn't throw, yet he was vilified. Harsh, in my book.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Being accused of throwing, being cleared and still being tainted comes readily to mind. In my mind (having studied footage of him and read the Uni of WA's report) I have no doubt he doesn't throw, yet he was vilified. Harsh, in my book.
Oh well, fair enough. I thought he had to do some 'remedial work' at the time, but nonetheless, aussie crowds can be harsh.......BTW, I still think he chucks his bouncer, but then I think Lee does too, sometimes.......I think once you've been reported and investigated as a 'chucker' there will always be a doubt in the minds of a lot of people.
I just think it's going a bit far to say he 'was treated horribly'......but that's your opinion, fair enough. 8D

Racking my brain to come up with some moments other than those mentioned - I might have to dig out the 'History of Australian cricket' bound to be one or two in there!!

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A few from the Oval.

Those 2 giants Ambrose and Walsh walking off together.

Mike Atherton walking off for the last time. Everyone knew it was his last game, but he didn't want a big fuss, so didn't actually announce it till afterwards.

Alec Stewart's guard of honour this summer.

And one from Lord's

Dickie Bird's guard of honour on the 1st morning.

PY

International Coach
The best one for me was at the Oval when Surrey were presenting Stewart with a special bat and Mark Nicholas said, "Alec Stewart, Surrey and England" and he got a a standing ovation and Alec almost started crying, could see it meant a lot to him.

The Dickie Bird one was also classy especially if you've read his autobiography, meant SO much to him.

I like this thread. Good work T_C :)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
good thread idea....

one quick one and I have no idea which series...

Wasim Akram was bowling to an English batsman in England, and David Sheperd was the Umpire. There was a loud appeal for lbw, and tv replays showed it was clearly out, but umpire Sheperd refused. Now, Pak/Eng series are always marred by allegations of partial umpiring, but at that instance, Wasim just talked with Sheperd briefly to inquire the reason and without any dissent agreed with Sheperd and walked off for the next delivery. Shows the amount of respect Wasim had for Sheperd as an umpire. Sheperd has lost his knack with age, but at one time I would have preferred Sheperd and Dickie Bird do the umpiring over even Pak umpires for an important Pak game. They were so impartial and competent.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Oh come now Roy - Pakistani umpires have always been the best in the world..........ask Dennis Lillee on hitting Javed plumb in front for the 18th time in an innings in Pakistan, Lillee finally lost his cool and demanded to know why THAT wasn't out - the umpire, who shall for now remain nameless (due to a faulty memory) said "Mr.Lillee, you hit the wickets with the ball, and then I shall give Javed out".........:lol:

Mike Gatting may have a comment or two about umpires in Pakistan too..........

BTW, I know Roy wasn't referring to Pakistani umpires specifically, it just reminded me of that story.........

Rich2001

International Captain
I have to back a Aussie here...

The Aussies always get stick for their behaviour on the field, but about three times now I've seen B.Lee hit a batsman badly and he always runs up a checks they are ok and give them a hand back to their feet before continuing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:

The Aussies always get stick for their behaviour on the field, but about three times now I've seen B.Lee hit a batsman badly and he always runs up a checks they are ok and give them a hand back to their feet before continuing.
And giving them another short one! :D :lol: :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
1. Allan Donald taking his 300th test wicket in his home town of Bloemfontein against NZ will always be special to me, he was simply awesome...

2. Curtley Ambrose/Courtney walsh and later Alec Stewart at the oval, nuff said...

3. Canadas Jim Davison spanking WI everywhere at Centurion Park in WC2003..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First, a comment on the Shoaib issue.
In my view, Shoaib has NEVER CHUCKED A BALL (intentionally, anyway). The whole nonsense about remedial action was exactly that - Shoaib will never bowl with an arm that is "straight" by most people's standards, because his arm straightens more than most people's. This can create the illusion of an illigal delivery.
The law states that the arm should not be "straightened partially of wholly" from the time it passes the level of the shoulder. As long as Shoaib's arm stays with the same sinuosity from the point level with the shoulder to the release, the ball is legal.
All this complete garbage about finding a specific delivery to try to tone down your accusation - it defies belief. Ruchira Perera was accused of chucking his Bouncer at Lord's last summer - and his action was blatantly and consistently illegal. Shoaib (and James Kirtley is in exactly the same boat) are in the opposite situation to Murali, in that their arms don't straighten but they're either less or more straight than the normal at their most extended sinuosity.
None of these three actions are illegal.
Another example of specific-ball prejudice. Some people say it's Lee's Bouncer. Peter Roebuck said last year it was the one he bowls wide of the crease.
I took a look at all the evidence I could find and I saw no difference in any of the actions for these deliveries. Lee's action does look illegal from some angles, but not all, so it's probably an optical-illusion. If it's illegal, it's always illegal. If not (and this is by far the most likely), it's never illegal.
Now, onto my take on the subject of the post:
My favourites are two strange ones and one classic. You'll probably notice something in common in each pair:
As Alec Stewart struck his 100th run in his 100th Test, the crowd stood and applauded. And applauded. And applauded. And applauded. It went on for, in some estimates, 5 minutes. That is incredible. What an appreciation. What a player.
As Darren Gough walked (backwards) down to fine-leg having bowled a superb final over (his last of his 10, not the last of the innings) the whole crowd in the temporary Bristol stand stood and applauded him. Goughie looked almost sad. As if he knew what was coming. Sure enough, Harvey slogged Hollioake for six and that turned the tide, and Australia managed a win.
Alec Stewart, on 86, had been ridiculed in recent weeks. He had got a recall to the England Test side, and had been run-out in his comeback innings, for 7. For some time, he had been amongst the premier batsmen in the country. And yet, after getting a not-out in his next innings, he failed (7) in his next, being made to look rather awkward by an injured genius.
However, on 86*, he slammed Dilhara Fernando for 4 fours in 4 balls. He brought-up a century, and confounded some of the most ill-founded criticisms I have ever seen. People said the sooner James Foster got back, the better.
What an insult. This man was one of England's greatest ever cricketers. And people had the nerve and the patronisation to say that he wasn't as good as some rubbish youngster?
The first emotion on his (and, doubtless, mine) as he hit the final of the 4, was relief. Not elation, relief. One of the greatest players ever had proved yet again the ludicrousy of the idea of suddenly losing your talent, just because you're getting a bit old.

PY

International Coach
Rich2001 said:

Fraid Lee will always be slightly tinted by the bowling of bouncers to Tudor when he knocked him out/over.......but he was very concerned after he'd done it which I suppose is something.

Jacques Kallis dedicating his innings to his father was quite special.

PS I think it did have a few spelling mistakes on it much to the embarassment of Surrey CCC.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
In my view, Shoaib has NEVER CHUCKED A BALL (intentionally, anyway).
this sentence makes your entire post useless. So if he or for that matter any other bowler, unintentionally chucks its okay?

For the Brett Lee issue, I think its a load of crap that Lee gets concerned about batsmen he hits. If he was that concerned he would never bowl bouncers to anyone, and definetely not tail enders. I am sure Ian Chappell would have something to say about this.

As for Pak umpires, thats another load of crap, just becasue western media is more visible the Indian and Pak umpires gets a worse image, and other umpires get away with a lot more. I dont think umpiring has ever been more diabolical than NZ and WI in the past. Infact in a series a few years back (I think the Eng/Pak) series, there were many worng decisions (just like they do in every series these days), and most went against Pakistan, just because the umpires were in so much pressure, maybe to be included in the panel of umpires. I remember almost saying that Pak needs neutral umps otherwise its too much of a disadvantage.

The gatting/shakoor rana debacle was the biggest farce in cricket history. I can just imagine if this was replicated with rashid latif/darrel hair as the characters, Rashi Latif would have got a life ban, maybe even an unprecedented death penalty ;)

Sorry TC this was supposed to be a positive thread, and here I am bringing all the negativity possible.

Mr Mxyzptlk

That Kenya team spirit v Sri Lanka was quite spectacular.

Others...

Lara hitting Gillespie for 4, grabbing the stumps and running into the embrace of Adams and co. after winning 3rd Test v Australia ('99) single-handedly with his 153 not out.

Dravid and Ganguly v Sri Lanka in the 1999 WC. Great entertainment.

Sarwan's hundred v Australia. West Indies chasing 418 successfully v McGrath, Lee, Gillespie, Bichel and MacGill.

Adams' expression of relief and joy after his century v Zimbabwe 2000... his first in over 3 years I believe.

Younis Khan moving 4 feet of the pitch to hit a massive wide from Snyman for four. :)

Sarwan hitting Ajit (?) for four to beat India off the last ball of the 1st ODI in India last year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
royGilchrist said:
So if he or for that matter any other bowler, unintentionally chucks its okay?
No, that was wrongly put - what I should have said was I shouldn't think Shoaib has ever chucked a ball in a serious match. Because God knows, anyone can just decide to chuck a ball just for the sake of it, if it doesn't matter.
If someone doesn't notice they're chucking, they should be notified and helped, but chuckers are so rare because these days everyone knows that they're going to be noted if they chuck so they make damn sure they don't before going onto the big stage.