Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden's 380

Hayden's 380

What do you guys think?

I was there, it'll be a while to get over it..
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Glorious innings. Simple glorious. Some may rate it lower than Lara's because his was against a more serious bowling attack but so what, it was brilliant.

11 sixes for crying out loud......plus it was scored at an obscenely fast rate.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Re: Hayden's 380

Originally posted by David
    What do you guys think?

I was there, it'll be a while to get over it..
    you were there, i wish i was, saw the vast majority of it on TV, great knock, showed extreame patience, strength and stamina throughout. Gilly batted brilliantly in support too, but i really dont know how to describe it now, im gonna go and cap of my day with the rugby opening and wallabies game
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Debutant
    I missed almost all of it :!(

From the highlights though it looked quite amazing. especialy 11 sixes that is very rare on Australian grounds.

He only gave one chance and that was on like 335.

And what about Gilchrist his 100 came of a lazy 84 balls taking his avrage to like 62 with a strike rate that must be close to 90 at test level now.

International Debutant
    His last 270 runs came of 227 balls :O

Also Both he and Gilchrist scored a Hundred in the seassion between Lunch and tea that must be a first.

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    I was there also.

In fact i invited David to come.

Amazing.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Speechless, Absolutely Speechless!

The guy was hitting sixes like no tommorow.

Its amazing how fresh he looked even at 375*
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

School Boy/Girl Cricketer roofromoz's Avatar
    Unbelievable.

:O

But I had a feeling that if anyone was going to ever break Lara's record, it was going to be someone like Hayden.

The guy is a freak.

Well done Matty.

8D
    TRUE TO THE BLUES
    Defending ING and Pura Cup champions

International Vice-Captain
    It was ok, i guess.:P :rolleyes:

Ponting will break it, no worrys.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Well done Hayden, but really. This is just a joke. The beating up of a ****ty nation. Everyone knows that Zimbabwe are a terrible side at the moment, and Haydens record has a real empty feeling about it. If he had of scored it against South Africa, NZ and India, perhaps there would be something to get excited about...
    "Matt Damon"

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by nibblet
    Well done Hayden, but really. This is just a joke. The beating up of a ****ty nation. Everyone knows that Zimbabwe are a terrible side at the moment, and Haydens record has a real empty feeling about it. If he had of scored it against South Africa, NZ and India, perhaps there would be something to get excited about...
    Regardless, 380 runs is 380 runs and is hard to discredit, but I agree with nibblet in that the strength of opposition does mar the achievement.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Take a look at the top 5 scores of all time and, barring Lara's, all of them were scored against mediocre attacks. Using your rationale, virtually no big score is good enough to get excited about.

Hayden 380 scored against Zim - okay, not a strong bowling attack.

Lara 375 against Eng - Class knock against a very good attack including Andy Caddick, Chris Lewis, Phil Tufnel and Angus Fraser.

Gary Sobers 365* against Pakistan when they were hardly a strong side and were missing several of their decent players through injury.

Len Hutton 364 against Australia - Missing two of the better players in Bradman and Fingleton injured during the match but seeing that Stan MacCabe opened the bowling, you can imagine that the attack was fairly minimal (O'Reilly DEFINATELY excluded from that).

Jayasuriya's 340 against India - Kumble in the side but other than that, no world-class players (Prasad was a reasonable bowler but not a great as such) and the pitch was as much a road as any deck you'd ever see.

Picking a pattern here? The players, whilst greats, never attained such high scores against the top teams of their day. So considering the pop-gun nature of the attacks which have resulted in the scores above, I'd say Hayden ranks pretty well. Lara's was just an innings on another planet, though.........

Sure the strength of the opposition makes it less glossy as, say, his 203 against India but still, getting to such a high score is an amazing achievement in itself, especially at Test level.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Credit to him for breaking the record, but I will still rate several other knocks above it.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

after thinking about it for the last few moments..

its just not fair for me to say that it shouldnt count as much because its against zimbabwe..

because no thats not true, for any batsman to have a level of confidence for so long is just truly magnificent!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    That England attack of 94 wasn't one of their best, but I guess it was a lot better than this Zimbabwe one!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information