• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League 20/20 may require qualification for some sides

Flem274*

123/5
The IPL governing council is considering holding an additional qualifying stage for the 2011 Champions League T20 a few days before the main event, which would give a fourth IPL team a chance to play in it.

"A 4th team may have the opportunity to play CLT20," Sundar Raman, the IPL chief executive, tweeted on May 22. "But they need to play a qualifier tournament a few days before CLT20 with 3 other teams."
If the qualifier were to take place, that would turn the Champions League into a 10-team tournament from a 12-team one. Three teams from India, two each from Australia and South Africa and one from England would have guaranteed spots in the event. The competition for the remaining two spots would leave at least one of New Zealand, Sri Lanka and West Indies without representation, with two countries standing to lose out if the fourth IPL team qualifies.
Champions League T20 2011: IPL considering CLT20 qualifying stage | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

This is wrong in my opinion. It keeps the power and bucks in the hands of the powerful at the expense of the lesser.

Not only does a New Zealand, Sri Lankan or West Indian side have to give any star players fortunate enough to play in a top IPL franchise to that franchise for the tournament, they now have to prove that their weakened side is good enough to play in the competition while the IPL franchises with their sides loaded full of everyone elses players cruise on through.

This makes me very angry and erodes the credibility of the tournament in my eyes.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The Stags played terribly and so did the Volts. Fair enough that they try filter out the crap we end up sending over.

Flem274*

123/5
The Stags played terribly and so did the Volts. Fair enough that they try filter out the crap we end up sending over.
Ross Taylor, the main reason we won the final, not playing for us and our injured bowling attack were really the best NZ had to offer that year.:p

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Why not play it like the world series just ipl sides,and leave it to the fans decide who is the winner by a phone poll,of course an indian side would be winner every year.
Personally i hate it but see the logic srilanka and nz sides in clt20 have been crap,and jamaica was crap last year.

Blaze 18

Banned
No way should IPL be allowed four sides. Ideally, it should be only the champion side from every country taking part. It isn't a "Champions League" otherwise.

Flem274*

123/5
We *shouldn't* have such a terrible time this year because Auckland has no players I know of about to win the IPL, so they will keep their Black Caps.

One of the biggest issues with determining the quality of an NZ, West Indian or Sri Lankan side is you don't know who will win the IPL. last year, on top of injuries to Oram, Diamanti and Napier, Ross Taylor happened to be in two winning sides. IMO, the CD 20/20 3-5 batting positions isn't suited to the format. Sinclair, Patton, Weston etc all do well in FC but not so well in 20/20. Ross Taylor gave the middle order some serious danger and he was a massive contributor to us winning the final.

The Auckland side Central defeated in the final was a better side, imo, than the Central Districts side fielded in the first champions league match. Most of this was due to injury, but Ross Taylor left a gaping and very evident hole in the middle order. Mason and Napier were awesome in the final, but if Taylor scored a suck the target would have been a lot smaller and Auckland may well have got over the line. They were under massive scoreboard pressure and that spell by Mason and Napier was intense.

On the bright side, I've been arguing this with Athlai on MSN and hopefully I just made him rage quit or plain give up. He's disappeared. Success!

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
1 more chance for an indian side to win
2 guarenteed more indian fans which will follow.
CLT20 1 was a flop because no indian side won or made oit to the semi finals,and that was with 3 sides,oh 1 made the semis.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Farce of a tournament. Scrap it!

I would love to see boards like NZ, WI, SL etc. getting together and saying that they will boycott this utter fail of a tournament. It isn't a "Champions League" without representation from Pakistan and England anyway.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I've lost plenty of interest in the IPL itself, having a champions league bloated with IPL teams would only be a bad thing.

Flem274*

123/5
Farce of a tournament. Scrap it!

I would love to see boards like NZ, WI, SL etc. getting together and saying that they will boycott this utter fail of a tournament. It isn't a "Champions League" without representation from Pakistan and England anyway.
Unfortunately it will never happen, especially under the current leadership. Money rules.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What the **** is this ****. There should be two IPL sides in this max, and they bloat it up to a possible 4? And why cant a Pakistani domestic side qualify?

Bun

Banned
What the **** is this ****. There should be two IPL sides in this max, and they bloat it up to a possible 4? And why cant a Pakistani domestic side qualify?
Coz it's representative of the population that watches these games? :unsure:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah already having more than two IPL sides is ridiculous. Adding a fourth would just be disgusting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Coz it's representative of the population that watches these games? :unsure:
That's over a third of the teams we've seen play for 2+ months play each other again in another league.

Come on now Bun, even you know this is oversaturation.