• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook Vs the WI quartet of the 80s

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
People who take everything current players and coaches say at face value and chose to be offended by it are such bores.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As far as I remember, he was just slightly better than you....which means he was very bad actually
Yes remember all those posts I made about people's parentage and raping daughters and what not

Or how about you just shut the **** up?
Haha so your argument in this thread is that I quoted Bun. Ok, where are the other apologetics who were so eager in the official thread?
Not my argument at all. I didn't get involved in your Fidel Edwards drivel in the tour thread. I merely think it's sad that you use such a low life form to validate yourself. Says it all, for me.
And I thought I posted trash.

The bar has been set.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What value are we supposed to take it at then?
Look at how it benefits them, or the implications if they said the opposite. Cricket fans are very nostalgic, I can see why a current player would want to big up their era. Similarly when a coach or captain says Anderson is great and as good as Steyn you don't have to get outraged and hate them for it. It's probably not their sincere opinion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look at how it benefits them, or the implications if they said the opposite. Cricket fans are very nostalgic, I can see why a current player would want to big up their era. Similarly when a coach or captain says Anderson is great and as good as Steyn you don't have to get outraged and hate them for it. It's probably not their sincere opinion.
Baffles me when people get upset by these comments

Reverse psychology works sometimes but if a coach comes out and says '[player on my team] is the best at [his skill] in [the world/country/league]' it may, y'know, just be a motivational thing

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, good point. A lot of times, the cricketers live in their own vacuums also. When Sehwag and Dravid were about to break the Mankad-Roy opening partnership record, Sehwag wasn't even aware about the record or the history surrounding it. They grow up focussing on their games and on the cricket which exists in the current era and then they are in international cricket. Many are not aware of the history and have ignorant opinions. Some times, they just rant off without realising they are speaking without proper knowledge. This seems to have happened here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Weldone going on about Cook's Fidel Edwards comment in the match thread, Cribb dug this and told him to **** off here instead of ruining the match thread.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

The comments seem completely in character to me. Arrogant tosspot.

I think you're giving him far too much credit calling him intelligent too. The monotonic voice, the vacant stare. It all fits.

So even though there's no other source, I'm choosing to believe the numpty troll of an OP. Until Cook denies it.

Which he won't, because he likely hasn't heard about it, because it's tosh.

Still, always better to believe the worst about a Pommy sportsman. It's usually not far from the truth.
Yesssss

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Baffles me when people get upset by these comments

Reverse psychology works sometimes but if a coach comes out and says '[player on my team] is the best at [his skill] in [the world/country/league]' it may, y'know, just be a motivational thing
The reason why is annoys me is exactly that. It's not a sincere opinion. It's disingenous BS which imo might not even achieve it's objective of motivating the player mentioned. If we know that Anderson isn't even close to England's best ever bowler and also isn't within a mile of Steyn, then Anderson himself sure as hell knows that what Cook is saying is BS too.

harsh.ag

The reason why is annoys me is exactly that. It's not a sincere opinion. It's disingenous BS which imo might not even achieve it's objective of motivating the player mentioned. If we know that Anderson isn't even close to England's best ever bowler and also isn't within a mile of Steyn, then Anderson himself sure as hell knows that what Cook is saying is BS too.
Works with women on Friday nights.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Alastair Cook became one of the most overrated players in the world (*cough* SilentStriker *cough*) through no fault of his own.

I remember how him breaking all of Sachin's or Lara's records was just a foregone conclusion because of his age.

Respect longevity you ****s. Cricket is a friggin' hard sport to be consistently awesome at.

OverratedSanity

Atleast when we overrate our players they're undoubtedly ATGs anyway (Tendulkar, etc), but England consistently overrate their decent cricketers to make it seem like they've actually produced some truly great cricketers in the last 30 years.

OverratedSanity

Alastair Cook became one of the most overrated players in the world (*cough* SilentStriker *cough*) through no fault of his own.

I remember how him breaking all of Sachin's or Lara's records was just a foregone conclusion because of his age.

Respect longevity you ****s. Cricket is a friggin' hard sport to be consistently awesome at.
Like you, pointing to the "Cook will cruise past Sachin's records" is one of my favourite things to do when he's out of form (which has been ages now). But the thing is, if Cook just keeps averaging even 40-45 for another 6-7 years,which is realistic, he will get close to the record. Even with such a poor slump, he averages almost 80 runs per test. Say he plays another 80-90 tests and scores 6000 runs averaging in the 40s, he's pretty much in touching distance. Not saying it'll happen, but he doesn't really need to set the world on fire.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

I remember when every one thought Ponting will just go past Tendulkar. Cook will still break the test runs record possibly. The thing is though, highest aggregate scorer is not equal to the greatest. I don't think most English in their right mind would claim it either, just as most Australians would not claim Border to be a better batsman than GSC or Walsh ahead of Marshall in the case of WI, say.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Atleast when we overrate our players they're undoubtedly ATGs anyway (Tendulkar, etc), but England consistently overrate their decent cricketers to make it seem like they've actually produced some truly great cricketers in the last 30 years.
There is a bit of both in England really. They can be extremely harsh on their cricketers as well.