• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

Bun

Banned
Show them too me then. I daresay most of those are from Indian expats

I always find it ridiculous when it's suggested that the IPL is going to be a world wide followed competition, expanding cricket to all corners of the globe.

Fact is, no one else cares
u have rthe highest post count jn this thrd. just saying.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ooooh another highly logical and relevant point 8-)

Or maybe - just maybe - he saw a title that he instantly disagreed with and has posted to that effect

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
yeah any bun can criticise. but the ones who can offer solutions are the truly good critics.
Umm ok.

Regardless, I've already offerred a solution. I believe the IPL should only run for a maximum of one month.

shivfan

Banned
Creating a window for the IPL will set a dangerous precedent, personally I don't think it will ever officially happen but I think most of the "smaller" boards will do their best to make sure they're not playing cricket while the IPL is taking place; that's if they're not already doing so now.

Pakistan's current tour of the West Indies is a good example of why a window is next to useless, three players from the two teams are taking part in this years IPL, obviously all three are West Indian. If a window was in place upwards of 20 odd players could possibly miss out on making 10-50 thousand dollars worth of match payments just so three players could make themselves a little fortune, it doesn't exactly add up does it?
It does add up when those three players are main members of your team....

Your point about it affecting the "smaller" boards is a good one. This series with Pakistan should not be taking place now, IMHO. The WICB should be making every effort to ensure that they don't stage series that clash with the IPL, creating a de facto window, if not aqn official one.

shivfan

Banned
Seems to me that Board has made two different commitments for the same period. IPL/BCCI is the easy target. Cricketers are even easier to target for choosing the Club that treats them well over the country (read Cricket Board) that treats them like ****.
That's a good point....

For example, if the WICB want to improve relations with their players, they just have to do one simple thing. Work with the IPL, and ensure that their players can both play in the IPL, and play international cricket. There's unlikely to be more than 3-6 players doing so, so the other players can rest during that period. Think of the goodwill such progressive thinking could generate....