• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sub Continent league

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I never saw the rashid latif incident where he was suspended for five matches for appealing on a questionable catch. But the idea just seems absurd and ridiculous.

In Cricket, players do a lot of things similar or much worse which go completely unpunished. Like excessive appealing by spinners to pressure the umpire etc. And today Andrew Hall elbowed Youhanna, in a clear attempt to disrupt the concentration of Youhanna, which is I think a much greater offense but will probably not get the kind of punishment latif got.

I have lived in Canada for a long time now, and have visited many western countries and I feel that generally the average joe does not have any discrimination against minorities. But I think there is still discrimination in cricket, in the upper echlons of ICC. And teams from the sub continent get the brunt of it. If Steve Waugh had done it (I wont say M Vaughn as he would never do it :) ) he would never get this type of suspension. Latif is the Pakistani captain and what better way to disgrace 'em.

Anyways enough digression and maybe you guys who have seen the incident might tell me otherwise.

But I have felt for sometime that India/Pakistan/SL and Bangladesh need to start their own league and cut off any cricketing ties with other countries (maybe other than the world cup). This would be excellent from a commericial point of view, with many matches and all within the subcontinent, no cancelled tours, fans would love nothing more than India/Pakistan matches regularly. No whiny tourists (Alec Stewart quipped that when asked if he would miss retirement, he said I will ask these guys when they are suffereing in Bangladesh). And the rules of the game can also be modified to suit the fans of the subcontinent (i.e. more limited overs games).

I think the standard of cricket will improve dramatically in the sub continent, things like trading players can also be introuduced to reduce the disparity among teams and make contests more exciting, I know this will never be introduced by the "stuck in the past" minds at the ICC.

The North americans are so dominant in sports they play as they play it their own way with their own rules, among themselves, and with their own schedule.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
royGilchrist said:
The North americans are so dominant in sports they play as they play it their own way with their own rules, among themselves, and with their own schedule.
Interesting theory, and I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war.

The one thing I will say is that the North American sports were invented by them, whereas Cricket is being adopted.

Also if they do form their own little group, how will we know if they're dominant or not?

Rich2001

International Captain
Intresting idea, firstly on the Rashid Latif I never saw it but the way the ICC treated him the "catch" must have been so short for the punishment.

Over the years I've watched cricket I've seen so many incidents of the like and it does seem a tad harsh on him (althought this dismissal cost Bangladesh the match could have been a major factor in the harsher punishment)

I recall in the last ashes tour the M.Vaughan catch that was never given, however regardless of what people say it was a close call, however about 2 overs later Vaughan hit one stright back down the ground and it bounced about 6 feet (no exaggeration) infront of the bowler (Bichel) and he tried to claim it and just stood staring at the ump for a while before mouthing something and walking off, yet nothing more was ever said on the fact.

However surley for a Pakistan series (the first in a long time at home) a TV company must have been covering the game, therfore more blame should have been on the 3rd umpire, right?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Haven't seen it, but from what I've heard it wasn't questionable, it was a dropped catch out of sight of the umpire.

Got what he deserved.

Won't happen. Too late to eloquate (is that a word, Liam?) reasons.

PS - If winningest is, then eloquate must be.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Have done, isn't there..

However, as it includes "winningest", I refuse to value it as a source of valid information...

You know what I meant, anyway.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
1/ Have done, isn't there..

2/ However, as it includes "winningest", I refuse to value it as a source of valid information...

3/ You know what I meant, anyway.
1/ I second that.
2/ Boo hiss
3/ Do we ever? :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Another example of that is the spectacular sentence handed out by Mike Denness on 6 Indians in S.A. Sorry, I know that this is something that has been argued to its death, but it's relevant to this thread, that's why I posted it.....

Last edited:

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
The one thing I will say is that the North American sports were invented by them, whereas Cricket is being adopted.
what difference does that make? cricket is more popular in the subC more than any single sport in NA.

Also if they do form their own little group, how will we know if they're dominant or not?
The World Cup? Just like the US knows they are the best basketball nation in the whole world.

Intresting idea, firstly on the Rashid Latif I never saw it but the way the ICC treated him the "catch" must have been so short for the punishment.
I do not believe ICC is an honest organization and hence cannot assume things like that.

Over the years I've watched cricket I've seen so many incidents of the like and it does seem a tad harsh on him (althought this dismissal cost Bangladesh the match could have been a major factor in the harsher punishment)
The circumstances of the incident should have no impact on what the decision is. If the punishment of faking a catch is five games then it should be the same in every situation. And as far as I remember there have been many instances of appeals after flooring the catch but it has never resulted in five game suspensions.

and he tried to claim it and just stood staring at the ump for a while before mouthing something and walking off, yet nothing more was ever said on the fact.
He is lucky he was not a Pakistani or Indian, then he would definately have been taught a lesson, they are the bad boys who need to be punished in the worst possible way.

Another example of that is the spectacular sentence handed out by Mike Denness on 6 Indians in S.A.
Well the Indians and Pakistanis need to be put in their place from time to time just so they know where they belong.

Top_Cat

What I find so interesting is that Roy's post count at the time I saw this thread was at '666' (see the attached image). Considering he's playing the Devil's Advocate to the hilt in this thread so far, that's pretty damn funny.

;) @ Roy

Mate, if you want to talk institutionalised racism in the ICC, you may as well be talking about institutionalised ***ism in the Lords Long Room.

:D

Attachments

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Well I am not playing devil's advocate but just ****ed off at the way ICC operates, inconsistent, dishonest, short sighted etc

Top_Cat

Well I am not playing devil's advocate but just ****ed off at the way ICC operates, inconsistent, dishonest, short sighted etc
Yeah, they seem to have a history of that sort of thing. The 'one-bouncer-per-over-per-batsman' rule, for example. That was a shocker.

Craig

World Traveller
royGilchrist said:
The World Cup? Just like the US knows they are the best basketball nation in the whole world.
But I believe that title belongs to Yugoslavia or someother Eastern European nation?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
well anyone who follows basketball closely knows that the last world championships were an exception. everytime the professionals participated the US has won, except last time, when the US got a bit over confident and a lot of the best players did not even participate. If the US plays the top team there is no way anyone else can even think of beating them....Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe, Jason Kidd (or Bibby or whoever), with CWebb, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Ben Wallace etc to back up. Its no contest. Even the players on the other teams will tell you that. Heck even when the US used to send college players and every other team used to send pros to the olympics they still used to win almost always.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
But I believe that title belongs to Yugoslavia or someother Eastern European nation?
USA are still the team to beat in any basketball tournament. They can put 5 of the best players in the world on the court at a time.

Legglancer

State Regular
I am anxiously awaiting what penalties the ICC may impose on Hall for his behaviour ....

I hate to make generalised comments but sadly I am in agreement with Roy about the behaviour of cricketers from Australia, England, South Africa and to a much lesser extent New Zealand and West Indies.

Like Roy I am from Canada ... and in this part of the world Cricket is known as a gentleman's Game ! But what they dont know is that their are no more gentleman playing cricket in England/Australia/SA ..... by far you will find the better spoken, mannerd players in the Subcontinent. But I dont think its going to last too long as players from India Pakistan Sri Lanka and Bangladesh do not have unlimited patience. If thay lose all faith in the ICC then it will be a sad day for cricket. I am a citizen of a neutral country and I have watched cricket as long as I could remember and I have seen countless times when players and officials commentators have made diabolically biased decisions.

The time has come for this nonsense to stop !

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
seeing you after a long time legglancer....any news on wazzatodd?

The biggest problem I have is not with the decisions being worng (or diabolical as leggie says) but the decisions being inconsistent and biased. I hate that.

Where is full_length when you need him ;)

yohanna

Banned
royGilchrist said:

And today Andrew Hall elbowed Youhanna, in a clear attempt to disrupt the concentration of Youhanna, which is I think a much greater offense but will probably not get the kind of punishment latif got.

I

Well, The Pakistan Cricket board made a mistake and did not file a complaint about the incident to match referee Clive Lloyd.They should have complained for a level two charge against Hall.
Interestingly in the third one day match, another SA player (Gibbs?) was seen abusing Shoaib Malik, looks like the Afrikans are getting uglier on this tour.

Its unfortunate to see just how these players escape punishments!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
These incidents should have been investigated. If the Icc is to be believed when they say that they are trying to lift the standard and that penalties will be increased then they must act.

To reply to the statement that there are no gentlemen left from the Aus/S Af etc, I'll refer the poster to Gilchrist who would fit the bill. Admittedly he is the only guy in world cricket not just the countries mentioned by the poster who would have walked in such circumstances.

I'm glad that Roy made the statement about not arguing over the penalty just consistency. I think he's quite right.