• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Wisden XI

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni's recent Test form hasn't been that good, not sure I'd pick him. Cook over Iqbal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
On batting it is Prior > Dhoni, as Prior scored more runs, averaged more and scored 1 century more than Dhoni in 2010. Dhoni failed with the bat against Aus, had average series in RSA and Sri Lanka and was one of four centurions in Kolkata as India amassed 600+. But as India didn't lost a test series in 2010 (to the best of my knowledge), defeated Aus, drew in South Africa and Sri Lanka, then it is a fair inclusion.

Strauss or Cook should have got the nod instead of Iqbal.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Doesn't Wisden generally pick with a hefty focus on the cricket played in England? If that's the case, Tamim over Cook is a fair call. But then, you'd think Jonathan Trott would be in there.

Regardless I think Trott should be there, likely ahead of Sangakkara, based on the achievements of last year. Almost immovable during the Ashes, cashed in big against Bangladesh and had a brilliant series against Pakistan while both batting lineups were being minced.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
the wisden 5 is based on the cricketing summer in england. but the wisden 11 is, i think, based on cricket the world over.

Spark

Global Moderator
It does say that the English summer has a very large weighting in deciding it and Cook's summer was fairly dismal, tbh.

vcs

Yeah, Trott is awesome. Very hard choice between him and Sanga.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Why should Sanga be moved? It's hardly his fault that he doesn't get as many tests as others. He does extremely well almost every time he plays.
He averages 99.28 in 2010 ffs. Sanga is pretty much the last batsman and second last player, after Steyn, that I'd drop from that team. He's an invincible batsman aws.

Last edited:

vcs

Why should Sanga be moved? It's hardly his fault that he doesn't get as many tests as others. He does extremely well almost every time he plays.
He averages 99.28 in 2010 ffs. Sanga is pretty much the last batsman and second last player, after Steyn, that I'd drop from that team. He's an invincible batsman aws.
Well, by the same token, Trott has done nothing wrong either. It's close enough, for mine.

Borges

International Regular
It does say that the English summer has a very large weighting in deciding it and Cook's summer was fairly dismal, tbh.
Cook was nowhere near consistent enough through the year, to merit consideration.

All in all, a decent team, IMHO. The bowlers pick themselves; among the batsmen, Amla and Trott somewhat unlucky to miss out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doesn't Wisden generally pick with a hefty focus on the cricket played in England?
I thought that was only for the "players of the year" award.

However the team of the year and leading cricketer of the year are based on cricket around the globe as far as I know.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If the selection is weighted towards the English summer then its pretty insane that Trott was left out. Did you happen to see how much the ball swung in the Pakistan series? As Howezat said, every single other batsman was terrible, except Gul and Broad :blink: Hey, I'm a Sri Lankan :unsure: but I'd defo have Trott ahead of Sanga, and (even though I hate him) probably de Villiers ahead of Sanga too.

Oh and definitely Tamim over Cook, had a godawful summer bar one (probably career-saving-and-ultimately-making) knock.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While there's definite cases for Tamim and Sangakkara, their selections smack a little of filling a quota to get as many different Test nations as possible represented.

Blaze 18

Banned
If the selection is weighted towards the English summer then its pretty insane that Trott was left out. Did you happen to see how much the ball swung in the Pakistan series? As Howezat said, every single other batsman was terrible, except Gul and Broad :blink: Hey, I'm a Sri Lankan :unsure: but I'd defo have Trott ahead of Sanga, and (even though I hate him) probably de Villiers ahead of Sanga too.

Oh and definitely Tamim over Cook, had a godawful summer bar one (probably career-saving-and-ultimately-making) knock.
:huh:

Always thought you were from England.