• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fred Titmus

hjardine

Cricket Spectator
Was reading an article on Fred Titmus.

Referring to his debut at Lord's against South Africa in 1955, the article says "Middlesex were overjoyed, but the same feelings were not expressed by a slightly senior off-spinner on the other side of the Thames!"

Any idea who that other off-spinner could be? Probably played for Surrey?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jim Laker presumably

... though Eric Bedser might have thought he had a better shout than Titmus at the time, as might Glamorgan's Jim McConnon and Lanky's Roy Tattersall

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unlike "Everyone's doing the Len Ganley Stance", which is a classic, well pretty good anyway

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And now he's gone. He was a bit before my time really, but I do remember attending a county game at Lord's in 1974 when a couple of the locals were arguing that was still the best offie in the country, despite being around 40 years old at the time. Sure enough, a few months later, he found himself part of an England side getting absolutely pasted in Australia. I've no idea how his bowling went in that series, but I remember him making some runs at one stage. RIP Fred.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP Fred Titmus

From cricinfo.

Middlsex & England off-spin legend passes away after a long illness.

Over 50 tests, a 33 year first class career and a Half Man Half Biscuit song written in his honour. Vale.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
And now he's gone. He was a bit before my time really, but I do remember attending a county game at Lord's in 1974 when a couple of the locals were arguing that was still the best offie in the country, despite being around 40 years old at the time. Sure enough, a few months later, he found himself part of an England side getting absolutely pasted in Australia. I've no idea how his bowling went in that series, but I remember him making some runs at one stage. RIP Fred.
Had the review system been in place in the 74/75 Ashes series he would have had a bagful of wickets. Australian umpires at that time never gave an LBW off the sweep with the front foot planted down the pitch. There was an article in the Daily Mirror at the time suggesting that the Chappell's, Redpath and Walters etc were getting away with "murder" sweeping straight balls knowing that they wouldn't be given out if they missed and were struck on the pad.